Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2020-10-07, 00:24   #419
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

5·1,777 Posts

I have a couple of machines that I converted to v30 that were doing LL-DC before. They are still getting them and certs.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-07, 00:31   #420
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

3·1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I think the server is handing out LL to both. Correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly.
Beats me, it's your server...

However, if it's currently handing out DC-LL to everyone I would strongly suggest that it should hand out PRP assignments instead of LL to v30+ clients requesting "double-check" work -- the Prime95/mprime menu explicitly does not specify a worktype for the double-check, just "Double-check prime tests". Obviously pre-v30 clients requesting DC would still get DC-LL assignments.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-07, 14:30   #421
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

23·211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I think the server is handing out LL to both. Correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly.
The manual reservation page is doing both LL and PRP. First-time and double check. In Prime95, the descriptions are more generic, as you well know. With consideration to the large back-log of LL-DC, it may be better to leave the manual assignment page as it. First time LL could go though.

storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-09, 20:16   #422
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2×17×139 Posts
Default Invisible Prime95 V30.3b6

On one system, a situation developed where prime95 when restored to screen at less than maximized was not visible. (Windows Vista Business 32 bit OS on a Compaq NC6230)

Normally prime.txt will contain screen locations consisting of modest sized positive integer descriptions such as the following.

Left=685
Top=4
Right=1581
Bottom=790

While this issue was occurring, the prime.txt on disk looked normal.
After closing prime95, prime95.txt contained anomalous values that were all approximately -32000. In screen coordinates, 1,1 being the upper left and maxx,maxy being the lower right, IIRC, the values ~-32000 corresponded to approximately rooftop level in the back yard, for a laptop in the basement.

Editing those lines in prime.txt with a text editor back to positive values no larger than the screen width set things right. I have no idea how prime95 came up with the ~ -32000 values in volatile memory.
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-09, 20:21   #423
jwnutter

"Joe"
Oct 2019
United States

1148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
(Windows Vista Business 32 bit OS on a Compaq NC6230
I found that I was most amazed by the word "Compaq".
jwnutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-09, 21:37   #424
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2×17×139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnutter View Post
I found that I was most amazed by the word "Compaq".
$50 apiece used years ago; 2 of the 3 failed, in such a way that one functional one could be assembled from the wreckage, so 2 survivors still. They make good don't-care-much laptops for travel. And moderately effective space heaters that do a little computing in the process and provide "vintage" test environments. They're actually new compared to some of what I have.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-10-09 at 21:38
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-10, 02:24   #425
XZT

Jul 2015

2·3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
Beats me, it's your server...

However, if it's currently handing out DC-LL to everyone I would strongly suggest that it should hand out PRP assignments instead of LL to v30+ clients requesting "double-check" work -- the Prime95/mprime menu explicitly does not specify a worktype for the double-check, just "Double-check prime tests". Obviously pre-v30 clients requesting DC would still get DC-LL assignments.
If I've got a machine that I'm very confident in it's reliability (like 100% correct LL-DC so far) and want to continue LL-DC work, would I still be able to do so easily (i.e. without requiring manual assignments)?

My reasoning for continuing LL-DC is that it seems to be easier to spot flaky machines as they throw a clear LL mismatch and that's useful for verifying the reliability of my machines, and may be of interest data wise for the old first time LLs.

Would there be other ways for a common user to spot errors?
e.g. Are PRP errors recorded? How can they be displayed to the user (without having to manually check logs)?
What happens to the unverified first time LLs?

In another case, if I've got a machine that is known to be unreliable but want to continue contributing some sort of DC work, the removal of the PRP-DC worktype makes it a bit more difficult to configure (manual assignments).

Understandably, PRP-DC shouldn't be needed going forward with PRP+CERT, so how many non-CERT PRPs remain to DC?
I've also seen some CERT runs where there are already matching PRP(non-CERT) and PRP(CERT) results. That was on PRP-CF work, but I assume this could occur for the main prime search as well. Negligible CPU time, but maybe something to note.

Is the assignment of PRP-CF CERT along with PRP CERT work intentional or is there an option to select which?
XZT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-10, 03:06   #426
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

2·3·1,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XZT View Post
If I've got a machine....
A lot of questions there. For now, v30 clients that request double-check work will get LL-DC.

When an LL-DC mismatches, you do not know which machine is bad -- yours or the first testers. In that respect, LL-DC is not perfect for your needs. However, there are easy to spot indicators at mersenne.org's web pages that make it a good choice for monitoring a PC's reliability.

Doing PRP work (first time or DC) will be 100% (we think) reliable even on unreliable hardware. Thus, the only way to monitor machine health is to look at the logs. The data is available to the server, so a web page could be created that reports on machine health.

Doing a PRP with proof for a DC of an LL test leaves the original LL test in "limbo". We don't know if it was good or bad. Somewhat untidy and unsatisfying.

As to CERT work, there are some options you can set described in undoc.txt to control which CERTs you might get.

Your unreliable machine should do PRP work of some kind. You might try setting WorkPreference to 151 (no idea if that will work), or manually get PRP-DC assignments,
or get LL-DC and turn them into PRP with proof by editing worktodo.txt. Not very satisfying solutions. Sorry.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-10, 07:38   #427
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

2×19×61 Posts

On some Windows 10 machines, Prime95 now shows a different font in the windows after I upgraded to the latest version. Is this to be expected?
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-10, 11:17   #428
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

32·331 Posts

If you get a mismatch in LL DC and you want to know if yours is good, you can always ask if someone wants to do a triple check right away in this thread:
https://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=24148
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 20:16   #429
endless mike

Jan 2004
Milwaukee, WI

157 Posts

I upgraded all my machines to 30.3b6. On a few of them, they did not remember my userid or their computerid. I caught and corrected the problem before results were submitted except for one. How can I get the exponent that I completed added to my user statistics instead of it saying it was completed by -Anonymous- ?
endless mike is offline   Reply With Quote