Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2012-04-12, 03:17   #1
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

2×7×11×29 Posts
Default Anyone using a cloud backup/sharing solution?

I know of
www.dropbox.com (more for file sharing)
www.mozy.com (more for just secure backup)
for about the same price $10 / month.
We have almost 100GB (and growing fast) of personal stuff that needs protection.

I know external hard drives protect against drive failures but I also want to protect against file/flood/theft and do I really want to disconnect and carry them off-site for that?
On the other hand that is a lot of DVDs to write and carry off site (what I do today).
So I am considering a site like the above.

Thanks
petrw1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 03:57   #2
delta_t

Nov 2002
Anchorage, AK

5458 Posts

I personally use Dropbox and love it for what it does best, synchronization across computers and platforms, as well as a cloud storage.

I also use CrashPlan as a cloud and offsite backup.
They have different means of backing up (onsite and offsite) including a 'cloud' service. I have 5TB of data (from 5 different computers) stored with them currently.

I have in the past used Backblaze and had no problems, but moved to CrashPlan because I liked the fact that they had multiple (besides cloud) for backups.

I was not a fan of Mozy at all.

Last fiddled with by delta_t on 2012-04-12 at 04:02
delta_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 07:02   #3
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

3×7×53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
I know of
www.dropbox.com (more for file sharing)
www.mozy.com (more for just secure backup)
for about the same price $10 / month.
We have almost 100GB (and growing fast) of personal stuff that needs protection.

I know external hard drives protect against drive failures but I also want to protect against file/flood/theft and do I really want to disconnect and carry them off-site for that?
On the other hand that is a lot of DVDs to write and carry off site (what I do today).
So I am considering a site like the above.

Thanks
ADrive [www.adrive.com] used to give out something like 50 GB of storage for free. One account for you, one for the wife - there's 100 GB right there.
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 23:22   #4
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

40358 Posts

I use Squirrel Save for back-ups. It's UK based so fast for me.
The back-up is now well over 1TB and can be accessed from any PC that has the software/account installed. Each PC can add to the backup if they use different folders.
For syncing I use Dropbox and iCloud.
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 00:09   #5
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

3×1,163 Posts

There's also tarsnap, a startup service run by Colin Percival.
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 11:50   #6
Stargate38

"Daniel Jackson"
May 2011

613 Posts

Are there any free ones? I can't find any, other than Mediafire and other file hosts.
Stargate38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 15:09   #7
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

9,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargate38 View Post
Are there any free ones? I can't find any, other than Mediafire and other file hosts.
Would you trust your backups to someone you couldn't sue?

Personally, I use BackupPC for myself and several clients. I've written scripts which then automatically backup the backup files to two of my overseas servers (which I pay for), plus monthly back up the files to two 1.5 TB drives which are kept at different locations in fire-proof safes.

I highly recommend BackupPC. Very well written; smart design; highly reliable.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 10:48   #8
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×3×1,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Would you trust your backups to someone you couldn't sue?

Personally, I use BackupPC for myself and several clients. I've written scripts which then automatically backup the backup files to two of my overseas servers (which I pay for), plus monthly back up the files to two 1.5 TB drives which are kept at different locations in fire-proof safes.

I highly recommend BackupPC. Very well written; smart design; highly reliable.
Seconded! In use here to backup most of my machines to an external USB 1TB disk attached to the house everything-server.

I really ought to use off-site backups too. Any chance of a copy of your scripts? I'm assuming they are a bit more complex than a single rsync command per off-site server.

In light of your information above, you're doubtless aware that regular fire safes are not good enough to protect electronic media. Other readers, though, may not realise that the cheap and cheerful ones are designed for paper, jewellery, etc, which can withstand temperatures well over 100C. Media fire safes keep their insides well below 100C , even when their outsides are glowing a nice pretty red colour after having dropped 10m onto concrete and the rest of the building dumped on top of them. Such technology does not come cheap.

Paul

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2012-04-17 at 10:50
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 13:18   #9
Jeff Gilchrist

Jun 2003
Ottawa, Canada

7×167 Posts

There is also SugarSync which has 5GB free.

And SpiderOak which you keep the key to your encrypted files:

The rumour is that Google will be launching their own service this week I think.

Last fiddled with by Jeff Gilchrist on 2012-04-18 at 13:18
Jeff Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 15:17   #10
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

9,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
I really ought to use off-site backups too. Any chance of a copy of your scripts? I'm assuming they are a bit more complex than a single rsync command per off-site server.
I would have to ask my clients if they're OK with my releasing them, as while I wrote them they technically own them. And to be perfectly honest, they're pretty ugly.

But yes, it's more than just a single rsync command (although rsync is used for the actual transfer). Because Barbados' bandwidth is so pathetic, the strategy is to prioritize those "cpool" files to back up based on the importance of each. For example, AutoCAD files are given higher priority over JPEG or MP3 files in each user's directory. And WinBlows operating system files are not online off-site backed up at all.

And, of course, all the files under the "filelists" have to be backed up, and the hard-links have to be dealt with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
In light of your information above, you're doubtless aware that regular fire safes are not good enough to protect electronic media. Other readers, though, may not realise that the cheap and cheerful ones are designed for paper, jewellery, etc, which can withstand temperatures well over 100C. Media fire safes keep their insides well below 100C , even when their outsides are glowing a nice pretty red colour after having dropped 10m onto concrete and the rest of the building dumped on top of them. Such technology does not come cheap.
An important point worth noting.

Here in Barbados our construction is almost entirely cinder block and concrete (because we're the "head-pin" in the Atlantic's hurricane bowling lane). The only fuel for a fire tends to be the interior contents. Thus, such a "consumer" fire-proof safe should be able to keep the contents well below the point where a harddrive is damaged while the available fuel is exhausted.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote