Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2020-09-25, 16:20   #320
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2·4,441 Posts

And wireless fobs will allow the vehicle to lock when you leave. No accidentally leaving the vault open.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-25, 16:58   #321
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

5DC16 Posts

Bicycles often get stolen here in the Netherlands but, unlike in Britain, they never get vandalized.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-25, 18:50   #322
PhilF

Feb 2005
Colorado

2×3×7×13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Yes, that would solve the problem of entry into the interior, but it wouldn't solve the problem of not being able to drive. The car has to be in contact with the Tesla server before it will go anywhere. And I have no idea why people accept this as normal.
That's just bizarre. If that becomes the norm for all cars in the future, then an enemy attack that knocks out Internet service to the entire country becomes much more effective.

Before you know it, even our coffee pots will have to have Internet service before they can service us...
PhilF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-25, 18:53   #323
PhilF

Feb 2005
Colorado

2·3·7·13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Bicycles often get stolen here in the Netherlands but, unlike in Britain, they never get vandalized.
When I visited Amsterdam 27 years ago there were "community" bicycles hanging around all over the place that anyone could use. I suppose those days are over?
Old 2020-09-25, 20:53   #324
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

22×3×53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
When I visited Amsterdam 27 years ago there were "community" bicycles hanging around all over the place that anyone could use. I suppose those days are over?
Yes, but there are various competing schemes now instead.
You can find many of them here
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-26, 00:02   #325
phillipsjk

Nov 2019

1018 Posts

Quote:
Yes, that would solve the problem of entry into the interior, but it wouldn't solve the problem of not being able to drive. The car has to be in contact with the Tesla server before it will go anywhere. And I have no idea why people accept this as normal.

Surely you can start your Tesla in an area with no cell-phone service?

I feel I would have heard about Tesla owners getting stranded if they pulled over in a valley somewhere.

Last fiddled with by phillipsjk on 2020-09-26 at 00:03 Reason: typo
phillipsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-26, 01:52   #326
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1004810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
That's just bizarre. If that becomes the norm for all cars in the future, then an enemy attack that knocks out Internet service to the entire country becomes much more effective.

Before you know it, even our coffee pots will have to have Internet service before they can service us...
I loudly agree! Smart Anything raises my hackles, even in prospect.

As to coffee, we heat water in a copper tea kettle, fresh grind beans which we know are fresh (from a long-time Lakeview, Chicago fixture: The Coffee and Tea Exchange. I have sometimes found still-warm beans in the barrels, though that was when they still roasted in the shop. I suppose they have time to cool down now, coming a mile or two from the roastery. They will sell you green, unroasted beans if you want to try your hand at roasting.)

Anyway, we hand pour into a Brita filter cone. Our brew is acclaimed in our admittedly small circle of friends. There's nothing like freshness all the way down the line.

We do not expect talk-back from our coffee equipment. We don't have a TV since more than a year ago. If we get another, I want it to be dumb. I don't want the damned thing calling home.
(/RANT /DIATRIBE)
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-26, 11:52   #327
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
I loudly agree! Smart Anything raises my hackles, even in prospect.
<snip>
We do not expect talk-back from our coffee equipment.
<snip>
If your coffee pot starts talking back, I would say it's time to cut down a bit.

Back when Joe Dimaggio was shilling for "Mr. Coffee," there was a skit, on Saturday Night Live IIRC , with Guido Sarducci extolling the virtues of "Mr. Tea."
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-26, 15:56   #328
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1004810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
If your coffee pot starts talking back, I would say it's time to cut down a bit.

Back when Joe Dimaggio was shilling for "Mr. Coffee," there was a skit, on Saturday Night Live IIRC , with Guido Sarducci extolling the virtues of "Mr. Tea."
Indeed. Usually, my stomach would rebel before hallucinations kick in.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-27, 13:53   #329
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

587910 Posts

https://arstechnica.com/information-...ansom-machine/
Quote:
With the name Smarter, you might expect a network-connected kitchen appliance maker to be, well, smarter than companies selling conventional appliances. But in the case of the Smarter’s Internet-of-things coffee maker, you’d be wrong.
s/smart/stupid/
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-27, 14:11   #330
PhilF

Feb 2005
Colorado

2·3·7·13 Posts

Quote:
s/smart/stupid/
Put a g on the end of that and you have pretty much described the world lol.