Old 2020-11-05, 03:28   #45
Syntony

"Tony"
Sep 2014
London, UK

23×11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
That user even tests verified results and returns a bad result : M53547997. To have an idea of that users activity : Brian V. LL results

Brian V. is single handedly doing what is proposed in the thread "The League of the Linen Coloured Balaclava-ed Gentlemen and Ladies " : poaching the tail. And when poaching one threads on toes.

:-(

Jacob

Brian V.'s latest triumph is to poach 53891441 just 2 hours and 20 minutes before ATH delivered the result of his assignment...
Syntony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-05, 03:57   #46
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

2A8B16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntony View Post
Brian V.'s latest triumph is to poach 53891441 just 2 hours and 20 minutes before ATH delivered the result of his assignment...
If he was doing this to exponents doing FTC LL, then when the original owner finishes, that would complete a DC and no wasted effort. Still not nice.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-05, 12:06   #47
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

19·613 Posts

Poachers could be discouraged, perhaps, if the database were changed in such a way that their submissions were held in a queue and received no acknowledgement of any form until the original assignment had expired. After expiry full credit would be given.

Would-be poachers would have to ask themselves a question: do I feel lucky?
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-05, 12:39   #48
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

6,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Poachers could be discouraged, perhaps, if the database were changed in such a way that their submissions were held in a queue and received no acknowledgement of any form until the original assignment had expired. After expiry full credit would be given.
That could just encourage more poachers thinking a particular "important" assignment isn't being worked on.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-05, 16:30   #49
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

1164710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
That could just encourage more poachers thinking a particular "important" assignment isn't being worked on.
Perhaps. As I said, do they feel lucky?
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-10, 14:19   #50
gLauss

Nov 2014

3·13 Posts
Default Poaching when Trial Factoring

Hi,
I have a pretty crappy GPU in my laptop, but at least I can run mfaktc on it, when my laptop is running and connected to the power. This will contribute quite irregularly, sometimes, there might 2 weeks of no contribution, then it runs for 24h straight. So I wrote a script which gets a few assignments from here and then reports it immediately as results become available.

However, it seems the sub-project SrBase is not reporting results immediately, so now it has happened twice in completly different ranges (144M and 707M) that I poached "SrBase", for instance here: https://www.mersenne.org/report_expo...4413551&full=1

How to properly do this? Do I actually need to assign AID for every single TF assignment? Will this save me from being poached by SrBase (or the other way round)?
gLauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-10, 14:30   #51
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

240418 Posts

Under Windows? Try Misfit. There are equivalent py scripts for Linux too but somebody else may help you there. You don't need to reinvent the wheel, there are already tools that can automate the process of getting TF work and reporting TF results, quite well and "poaching safe". On the other hand, don't ruin your day about occasionally poaching SRBase, that is an account with many users behind, turning lots of work daily, they won't see it

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-11-10 at 14:32
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-10, 14:38   #52
gLauss

Nov 2014

1001112 Posts

I'm running Linux and the bash script took me at most 1 hour, writing the script was not the problem. The problem is that there is no way for me to know what SRBase is up to because they don't get assignments and they submit results only every few months in very large batches. After my first "collision", I made sure to choose a range where I have seen no progress in the last 90 days with mersenne.ca status pages (example), but this doesn't help :(
The only solution I see so far is not doing the low bitlevels <74 anymore because SrBase seems to do a "breadth-first" approach. But then, I will find less factors :)
Old 2020-11-10, 14:43   #53
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

10,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gLauss View Post
But then, I will find less factors :)
But then, TF-ing at the PRP front will help GIMPS more... :)
Edit: about your script, does it reserve the assignments? Or only picks from the list? (the page you linked is not the reservation page, but the status one, it shows how far factored. If properly reserved, SRBase won't step on you -- they also do proper reservation, albeit in a different way, due to their higher volumes).

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-11-10 at 14:48
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-10, 15:13   #54
gLauss

Nov 2014

3910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
If properly reserved, SRBase won't step on you -- they also do proper reservation, albeit in a different way, due to their higher volumes).
Thanks, this is the information I was looking for. So I will do reservations with AIDs from now on. I didn't do this until now, because I think I have read somewhere that reserving AID for small TF assignments is frowned upon because it will put too much load on the Primenet server. Maybe this was only valid when we were having smaller bitranges (<70bit) than now.

(So far, I just grabbed the first 10 available exponents from mersenne.org/report_factoring_effort in worktodo.txt format and made sure, that results are submitted at least once per day. If the worktodo.txt gets older than 1 day, I just downloaded it again.)

Last fiddled with by gLauss on 2020-11-10 at 15:14
Old 2020-11-24, 16:09   #55
piforbreakfast

Oct 2020
Terre Haute, IN

11110102 Posts

So I was just browsing this thread and got to wondering...would admins frown upon someone randomly checking on exponents outside the upper range of numbers currently being checked by GIMPS participants? I've been tossing around an idea on possible mathematical correlations among known Mersenne primes and was wanting to check a few specific exponents above the current range that is being searched to see if my idea might hold water.
piforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote