mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2004-11-13, 19:01   #1
Danath

May 2003
Republic of Moldova

23×5 Posts
Default How many languages do you speak?

Inspired by the "I'M NOT SPEAK ENGLISH...I'M SORRY" thread, I thought it would be interesting to know how "polyglot" is "the population" of the mersenne-forums; in other words, how many languages do you speak and how well do you speak them?.

Also I thought it would be interesting for others to see a piece of text in your native language (if it's not English, for we all know how English looks like ). Let's take the following text in English as an example (you may just post any fragment in your language, if you don't want to translate this example piece):

"The desire to use language as a sign of national identity is a very natural one, and as a result language has played a large part in national movements."

If you want to post an example of text in your language, but it's not based on the Latin alphabet, I think it would be better to attach an image with that piece of text (so that everyone can see it correctly). If your native language is English, but would like to post an example of a rare () language that you know, feel free to do it.

Starting with myself:
3 languages: Romanian (my native), Russian (excellently), English (well).

The translation of the example text in Romanian would be:

"Dorinta de a folosi limba ca un semn al identitatii nationale este una foarte naturala, si, ca rezultat, limba a jucat un rol mare in cadrul miscarilor nationale."

The Romanian alphabet is based on the Latin alphabet, but besides the 26 letters that English also has, Romanian uses 5 additional characters formed out of 4 main letters (a, i, s, t) by adding a "hat" or a "tail" to them. Taking into account that these "special" letters might not show correctly on your screens, I've replaced them (in the example) with the corresponding common letters.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-13, 20:54   #2
leifbk

May 2004
Oslo, Norway

7816 Posts

Hi,
I'm speaking Norwegian, Swedish, and English.

Quote:
"The desire to use language as a sign of national identity is a very natural one, and as a result language has played a large part in national movements."
Here's your example in Norwegian:

"Ønsket om å bruke språk som et tegn på nasjonal tilhørighet faller svært naturlig, og følgelig har språk spilt en viktig rolle i nasjonale bevegelser."

I hope that everybody can read the Norwegian special characters. They are, after all, part of the ubiquitous ISO-8859-1 character set.

Greetings from Norway,
Leif.
leifbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-13, 22:04   #3
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

3·1,601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leifbk
Hi,
I'm speaking Norwegian, Swedish, and English.

Here's your example in Norwegian:

"Ønsket om å bruke språk som et tegn på nasjonal tilhørighet faller svært naturlig, og følgelig har språk spilt en viktig rolle i nasjonale bevegelser."

I hope that everybody can read the Norwegian special characters. They are, after all, part of the ubiquitous ISO-8859-1 character set.

Greetings from Norway,
Leif.
Here is the example in Italian:

Il desiderio di utilizzare il linguaggio come un segno di identita' nazionale e' assolutamente comprensibile; come conseguenza il linguaggio ha giocato un ruolo chiave nei movimenti nazionali.

Saluti dall'Italia!

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-13, 22:37   #4
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

798410 Posts

Ethay esireday otay useway anguagelay asway away ignsay ofway ationalnay identityway isway away eryvay aturalnay oneway, andway asway away esultray anguagelay ashay ayedplay away argelay artpay inway ationalnay ovementsmay.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-14, 19:56   #5
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

22·3·883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Ethay esireday otay useway anguagelay asway away ignsay ofway ationalnay identityway isway away eryvay aturalnay oneway, andway asway away esultray anguagelay ashay ayedplay away argelay artpay inway ationalnay ovementsmay.
Owway! Igpay Atinlay.

Native language is English (not American). I speak some German and French but very poorly, though I read them much better. Other languages are restricted to a small collection of words and phrases, including "Two more large beers please" in a variety of European languages.

I have a fairly good reading knowledge of the above three, can generally read Dutch well enough to get by (i.e. I can read newspapers, menus, information notices, etc), North Germanic (i.e. Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Icelandic) to a small extent, most Romance languages moderately well, know a smattering of Malay and I'm learning Middle Egyptian. Unfortunately the last two are the only non-Indoeuropean languages I can read at all. I don't read any Slavic languages either, though did once manage to translate some Bulgarian email with the aid of dictionaries and web sites. The latter had to be done as part of an investigation into a security violation where I was then working.

Next on the list of languages to learn how to read is Akkadian. I already know what to put on my Xmas present list.

Cofion cynnes,
Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-14, 19:58   #6
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

22·3·883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman
Native language is English (not American).
Though I do have a pretty good grasp of the American language and I am often called in to act as an interpreter when required.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-14, 22:23   #7
clowns789

Jun 2003
The Computer

39110 Posts

I speak English and a bit of Spanish. Here's some of it...

VIVA CLOWNS789!!!
clowns789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 00:04   #8
S00113

Dec 2003

23×33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath
How many languages do you speak and how well do you speak them?
I speak English and scandinavian languages (Norwegian, Danish, Swedish) well enough to communicate easily with natives from countries where the languages are spoken. I also speak some German, but it is very rusty. Additionally I don't speak or write, but am able to understand written Icelandic and Faroese, and even Latin and Dutch if given enough time. (Dutch only because of similarities with German and other germanic languages I read well.)
S00113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 02:07   #9
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2×4,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman
"Two more large beers please"
2 most important phrases in Spanish (in which order is up to you):
¿Donde esta el baño?
Dos mas cervas frias, por favor.

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2004-11-15 at 02:08
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-17, 16:07   #10
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

53138 Posts

I speak Hindi and English like a native, Italian and French reasonably well and German a little less well. I can also speak Urdu (though I am working on understanding the script) and understand Punjabi but have trouble speaking and reading the script.
In addition I have some Latin and Sanskrit but they are quite rusty. However, I can read and understand them given sufficient time.

Here is a sample of Hindi:
Attached Images

Last fiddled with by garo on 2004-11-17 at 16:10
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-21, 19:23   #11
BotXXX

Aug 2003
Europe

2×97 Posts

At this moment i don't understand that much languages. At high school i was forced to learn English, Germand, French and Ducht (being a dutchy helps with this part ;) ). But German and French have faded to be understandable in reading and not to difficult parts in hearing. But speaking is almost impossible. Speaking English, Dutch, Flemish and a wee bit of polish is no problem in life. Nowadays i am following a course to improve my polish-skills to be fluent in speaking and with the pen.
BotXXX is offline   Reply With Quote