mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2021-01-12, 23:06   #1453
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3×1,447 Posts

As the insurrectionists were leaving on January 6, Norwegian journalist Veronica Westhrin got this video of two DC citizens commiserating. WARNING! Cuss words galore!
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-13, 02:23   #1454
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3×1,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
The US is not out of the woods WRT those who want to overthrow the government. With the shutdown of Parler, the arrests, and resignations of some elected individuals, conservatives are getting more heated up over what they perceive as censorship, cancel culture, and attacks on them.

Right on the head!

Trump business backlash part of 'cancel culture,' son says
Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) β€” The PGA canceled its tournament at his golf course. Banks say they won't lend to him anymore. New York City is looking to end his contract to operate the Central Park skating rink.

Hits to President Donald Trump's business empire since the deadly riots at the U.S. Capitol are part of a liberal "cancel culture," his son, Eric, told The Associated Press on Tuesday, saying his father will leave the presidency with a powerful brand backed by millions of voters who will follow him "to the ends of the Earth."
<snip>
Yeah, right. Businesses want predictability and a known set of rules. An insurrectionist mob of yahoos sacking the US Capitol and seeking to lynch public officials doesn't fit with that.

But if Der Furor wants to lead his idolatrous followers to the ends of the Earth, which presumably is far, far away from the good ol' USA, that would be fine and dandy with me.
Quote:
Asked directly in his interview if he felt his father incited the crowd, Eric Trump paused and then the line went dead.
Sometimes, silence speaks volumes.
Old 2021-01-13, 16:39   #1455
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·1,447 Posts

I found the following analysis of recent events from a Christian perspective, fascinating. The Roman Road from Insurrection.

At the end of the piece is the following about the author:
Quote:
ABOUT RUSSELL MOORE
Russell Moore is president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, the moral and public policy agency of the nation's largest Protestant denomination.
Old 2021-01-13, 21:43   #1456
MisterBitcoin

"Nuri, the dragon :P"
Jul 2016
Good old Germany

2×401 Posts

Vote for Impeachment PASSED the house as expected. 10 (!) reps voted for yea.
MisterBitcoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-13, 21:46   #1457
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·1,447 Posts

The US House of Representatives has voted 232-197 to impeach the president for incitement of insurrection.

I have read that there's a solid argument that a Senate trial would have to begin before he leaves office. The Senate is not expected to reconvene until the day before Inauguration Day.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-01-14 at 00:20 Reason: Fixing reporting error
Old 2021-01-13, 23:16   #1458
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·1,447 Posts

"Stop the Steal" organizer Ali Alexander was in the news in early December for tweeting "I am willing to give my life for this fight" (i.e. overturning the results of the "stolen" presidential election). The Arizona Republican Party retweeted, adding "He is. Are you?"

Now Alexander is claiming that Reps. Andy Biggs (Ariz.), Mo Brooks (Ala.) and Paul A. Gosar (Ariz.) helped him plan the January 6 festivities. And despite, for example, leading the mob in chants of "Victory or death!" the night before the riot, and saying "I do not disavow this" during the riot, he denies any responsibility for it.

Now, his Twitter account a smoking crater, he is in hiding and reportedly paying $2000/day for security. So much for being willing to die for the cause.

Alexander, FKA Ali Abdul Razaq Akbar, pleaded Guilty to felony theft and felony credit card abuse in Fort Worth in 2007/2008. So at least he isn't allowed to own firearms.
Old 2021-01-15, 14:07   #1459
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3×1,447 Posts

In what appears to be a blatant case of rewarding the sufficiently obsequious - coupled, perhaps, with vindictiveness toward a State which just voted an R-Senator out of office, Trump administration decides on Alabama as new home for Space Command. Space Command has been at Peterson AFB near Colorado Springs, Colorado since the beginning. NORAD - which is the command headquarters for tracking everything from incoming ballistic missiles to satellites to space junk to Santa Claus - is located inside nearby Cheyenne Mountain.

This decision is so bad, it actually has Republican US Representative Doug Lamborn, in his eighth term representing Colorado's 5th District where Space Command is now located, and up to now a reliable brown-noser, speaking in opposition to the outgoing Narcissist-in-Chief. There could well be a Congressional investigation of how this decision was reached. At the same site as Congressman Lamborn's Statement on U.S. Space Command is a link to a nice letter to President-elect Biden calling on him to reverse the decision. The statement reads,
Quote:
I am disappointed by the horrendous decision to rip U.S. Space Command out of its home in Colorado Springs and move it to a new location. There's no way around it: relocating SPACECOM will materially damage our national security. As we speak, our near-peer adversaries, Russia and China, are actively working to defeat our space capabilities. Moving a critical institution like Space Command for political reasons unrelated to national security would be foolish at the best of times. In the midst of the ongoing great power competition between the U.S. and our allies against the forces of tyranny and absolutism represented by the Chinese Communist Party and Vladimir Putin, arbitrarily shuffling SPACECOM around like a political trophy would prove disastrous. This decision was not based on what is best for America's national interests. For the good our of nation, I will fight this proposed move. I look forward to working with my colleagues in the House and Senate who I believe will be equally disturbed with this disruption to a critical national security mission.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-01-15 at 14:09 Reason: xinfig ystop
Old 2021-01-15, 15:01   #1460
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

22×3×11×71 Posts

Of course putting it in Los Angeles where the Los Angeles Air Force Base is also could have made sense. And Edwards AFB is close and Vandenburg is close enough too.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-15, 16:07   #1461
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

25·331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Of course putting it in Los Angeles where the Los Angeles Air Force Base is also could have made sense. And Edwards AFB is close and Vandenburg is close enough too.
Do I detect an element of personal interest here? ;-)
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-15, 16:18   #1462
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

22×3×11×71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Do I detect an element of personal interest here? ;-)
No. I am just providing another alternate (and one that DT would never take because it is in a 'blue state'.). LA AFB is all about space really. It does not have the runways normally associated with an AFB. So a Space Farce HQ would be well to be located at a base that has been dedicated to space for quite some time.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-15, 16:54   #1463
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

10F516 Posts

Pretty much everyone was expecting Space Command to stay where it was. IMO the whole thing is a boondoggle. Moving its headquarters just makes it a bigger boondoggle.

Besides Peterson AFB and NORAD, the Air Force Academy is not too far North of Colorado Springs. If additional military connections are needed, the US Army's Fort Carson is just South of Colorado Springs.

Fort Carson almost qualifies as a Navy base, too: in 1985, a clerical error resulted in a seven ton anchor being shipped there.

Colorado as a State may be blue, but El Paso County, where Colorado Springs is located, has been a Republican one-party state for decades.