mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2002-08-23, 01:00   #1
jeff8765

Aug 2002
A Dyson Sphere

32×7 Posts
Default Which type of RAM is faster?

Which type of RAM is faster for GIMPS the RDRAM or the DDR RAM?

EDIT: Added question mark.
jeff8765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-23, 01:05   #2
Tasuke

Aug 2002

4816 Posts

currently it is in slowest to fastest ddr266, ddr333, pc800(rdram dual)ddr400, and pc1066(rdram dual) When ddr goes dual i believe it will be faster than rdram, if you have at least dd333.
Tasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-23, 15:25   #3
Angular

Aug 2002

2×33 Posts

I do not think the picture is so clear. Given the array of different choices of Memory timing choices, BIOS settings, and most of all chipsets.

For examble, consider the SuperMicro P4QH6 Motherboard. Although it only uses DDR200 Memory the ServerWorks GC-HE Chipset provides 4-way _bank_ interleaving, i.e. Memory must be populated 4 sticks at a time, to provide what I expect would be extrodinary memory bandwidth. But then again this is for a Quad Xeon board with 32 DIMM sockets, max of 32GB of RAM.

I do not have such a MB but I would expect that it would have more memory bandwidth than DDR266 :) But then again it also has 4 CPU's so maybe not depending on the configeration and how you measure it.
Angular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-23, 15:39   #4
Tasuke

Aug 2002

23×32 Posts

Quote:
When ddr goes dual i believe it will be faster than rdram, if you have at least dd333.
I was purely stating what is currently available on the desktop. When you add more channels of a dram based memory system, your badwidth increases significantly, without a latency penalty you incur with rdram. That is why you do not see rdram in large format memory systems(other that the dual Xeon boards from intel, and those are becomming scarce as it is, with the serverworks ddr chipsets decomming more proliferate.
Old 2002-08-23, 17:11   #5
xtreme2k

Aug 2002

2×3×29 Posts

Quote:
Although it only uses DDR200 Memory the ServerWorks GC-HE Chipset provides 4-way _bank_ interleaving, i.e. Memory must be populated 4 sticks at a time
4-way BANK interleave doesnt mean you have to install memory in blocks of '4' sticks, nor it means it is running memory in 4 channels. In fact it doesnt even mean close to that.

The BANK in a 'interleave' is not a bank in a memory stick. It is a BANK within the memory chip itself. You can enable 4 bank inteleave on any mobo (provided it has the bios option), if your memory supports it and in any number of sticks installed. Nearly all KT266/266A/333 mobos has this options and you will see, only 1 stick is needed for the 4 bank inteleave actually take place and performance gained.
xtreme2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-23, 17:26   #6
Tasuke

Aug 2002

10010002 Posts

Quote:
Four-way memory bank interleaving provides outstanding memory performance. (Memory modules must be equally populated on four banks at a time shown as above.)
4 way memory BANK interleaving means precisely that. 4way memory interleaving is what you are thinking of.
Old 2002-08-23, 17:32   #7
xtreme2k

Aug 2002

2·3·29 Posts

I am sorry but it doesnt.

The BANK doesnt mean Memory BANK. It means BANK within the memory chips itself.

You can run 4 way BANK interleave on a SINGLE MEMORY MODULE. Try it out yourself and you will see performance gain with that ON.
Old 2002-08-23, 17:36   #8
xtreme2k

Aug 2002

2568 Posts

If what you are refering to is correct. A mobo will have to have a 256 bit memory interface to the chipset, which doesnt exist for for now.

All DDR memory interface are currently 64bit with 1 or 2 exceptions that has 128 bit (Nforce being one).

You have just got confused with the meaning of the word BANK, as do 99% of the people.

When people say BANK they think its the BANKs on the memory module because thats the only thing they have heard in terms of BANK. But I can ASSURE you the BANK INTERLEAVE means the banks INSIDE the EACH of the memory chips and NOT as a whole memory bank on a memory stick.
Old 2002-08-23, 18:22   #9
Angular

Aug 2002

2×33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme2k
Quote:
Although it only uses DDR200 Memory the ServerWorks GC-HE Chipset provides 4-way _bank_ interleaving, i.e. Memory must be populated 4 sticks at a time
4-way BANK interleave doesnt mean you have to install memory in blocks of '4' sticks, nor it means it is running memory in 4 channels. In fact it doesnt even mean close to that.
The word bank is often used in multiple contexts. I truly mean 4-way interleaving between DIMMs. See SuperMicro's desciption of their Memory riser board for the SuperMicro MotherBoard I mentioned above:
http://www.supermicro.com/product/superserver/mec2.htm
Let me be clear, This Motherboard does Four-Way DIMM interleaving as it has FOUR DDR-200 Memory channels.

Quote:
The BANK in a 'interleave' is not a bank in a memory stick. It is a BANK within the memory chip itself. You can enable 4 bank inteleave on any mobo (provided it has the bios option), if your memory supports it and in any number of sticks installed. Nearly all KT266/266A/333 mobos has this options and you will see, only 1 stick is needed for the 4 bank inteleave actually take place and performance gained.
I know precisely what your are discussing; nevertheless, Motherboard uses a ServerWorks GC-HE chipset and is designed for QUAD Xeons.I would be careful when attempting to draw generalization based on VIA desktop chipsets ;)
Old 2002-08-23, 18:22   #10
Tasuke

Aug 2002

23·32 Posts

Have you ever worked with a serverworks chipset?

The intel 840, 850, 860, nforce, and most 'newer' serverworks chipsets us a bank memory technology (the physical topology of the memory is to use more than one physical bank of memory, meaning a separate set of control, address, and data lines) This is similar to the old memory banks of the 72pin simm modules, where they were paired in order to increase the usable bandwidth, without the added latency incurred with larger footprint modules. Current Dram technologies do have internal bank structure, but in this case we are not talking about the internal structures of the rams. The physical dimms are located in separate banks in order to increase the amount of available memory, without the massive latency increases that would be incurred by increasing the addressable space of the physical module. By searching in 4 separate memory sets simultaniously, you can reduce the latency of the system, (the interleave)by the number of physical banks. This also allows the processors to use more than their physical address space, which is 4096MB(limit of 32 bits) and instead use the virtual address space, controlled by the chipset, and not the CPU cache.

Quote:
Bank

Referring to memory slots a bank is the smallest amount of memory that can be addressed by the processor at one time. When installing or upgrading memory the instructions or documentation may refer to a bank.
Old 2002-08-23, 18:24   #11
Angular

Aug 2002

1101102 Posts

Quote:
I am sorry but it doesnt.
The BANK doesnt mean Memory BANK. It means BANK within the memory chips itself. You can run 4 way BANK interleave on a SINGLE MEMORY MODULE. Try it out yourself and you will see performance gain with that ON.
I am aware of this. In fact all of my systems with BIOSs that offer this feature have it turned on. Sorry for the terminology problem. Read the links I have posted above. What I said is correct.