Wetitpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-28, 08:58   #2
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

To claim awards, you must have found a new Mersenne prime. If you have found such, posting the result line printed by Prime95 or Mlucas should be at least sufficient to get someone here to take notice, if you don't prefer just posting it here.

At any rate, no awards will be, well, awarded, until the prime has been suitably verified across a variety of hardware and software configurations, as you may have seen here. Posting the exponent and result in question here or in the manual results page will start that process.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-28, 09:19   #3
Wetitpig

Jan 2018

F16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
To claim awards, you must have found a new Mersenne prime. If you have found such, posting the result line printed by Prime95 or Mlucas should be at least sufficient to get someone here to take notice, if you don't prefer just posting it here.

At any rate, no awards will be, well, awarded, until the prime has been suitably verified across a variety of hardware and software configurations, as you may have seen here. Posting the exponent and result in question here or in the manual results page will start that process.
So I just need to post that "2^x - 1 is a prime by Lucas Lehmer Test"?
Old 2018-01-28, 12:11   #4
srow7

Jul 2014

3216 Posts

in another thread, you talked about your own new program

Quote:
I have written a custom program for testing prime number using libgmp
I assume you are claiming your new program has found this alleged new mersenne prime.
what kind of quality control have you done with your new program ?
1. can you detect all 50 of the known MP ?
2. can you reject a random sample of known composites ?
3. are results repeatable on different hardware ?
4. have you tried this alleged MP using normal prime95 software ?
5. my bet is that you have a false positive, please double check and quality check your code.
srow7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-28, 12:25   #5
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

52·7·53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetitpig View Post
So I just need to post that "2^x - 1 is a prime by Lucas Lehmer Test"?
Yes. However, if you have used P95, you should not disclose the exponent public, until it is verified. Sending a mail to the right people (George, etc) is better.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2018-01-28 at 12:27
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-28, 13:03   #6
Wetitpig

Jan 2018

178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srow7 View Post
in another thread, you talked about your own new program

I assume you are claiming your new program has found this alleged new mersenne prime.
what kind of quality control have you done with your new program ?
1. can you detect all 50 of the known MP ?
2. can you reject a random sample of known composites ?
3. are results repeatable on different hardware ?
4. have you tried this alleged MP using normal prime95 software ?
5. my bet is that you have a false positive, please double check and quality check your code.
Of course I will.
Old 2018-01-28, 13:04   #7
Wetitpig

Jan 2018

178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Yes. However, if you have used P95, you should not disclose the exponent public, until it is verified. Sending a mail to the right people (George, etc) is better.
So can I get the award if I disclosed here with my custom program? Or must I send an email to George or so?
Old 2018-01-28, 13:19   #8
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

100100001110112 Posts

Quote:
So can I get the award if I disclosed here with my custom program? Or must I send an email to George or so?
If you used your custom program, you have to post the exponent somewhere, wherever you feel confident to post it. You may or may not trust our community, up to you. Other people around the world will verify if your number is prime. If it is indeed prime, you will be the happier owner of a prime. There is no award, unless the prime is larger than 100M digits, in which case you can claim the EFF prize of $150k, all for yourself. They won't give you any money, and generally, they will not even talk to you, unless the world math community verify and accept your prime, as the people there are not mathematicians, and it is not their job to verify if a number is prime or not, they even don't know how.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2018-01-28 at 13:27
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-28, 13:27   #9
srow7

Jul 2014

2×52 Posts

Quote:
So can I get the award if I disclosed here with my custom program?
you are too eager for the money.
FAKE PRIME
BELIEVE ME
srow7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-28, 19:44   #10
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

CDA16 Posts

Quote:
I have found the page for manual submission here:

https://www.mersenne.org/manual_result/

What do I need to submit to claim awards? Thanks
The manual results page is setup to handle results generated by programs like Prime95, CudaLucas, etc.

If the other comments in this thread are any indication, you developed your own program so it probably isn't in a format the website would recognize.

If you do have a new potential prime using custom code, you're more than welcome to let ask for help in the verification from anyone here. As for the reward, EFF still has the reward for the first 100M digit prime (doesn't necessarily have to be a Mersenne prime, just FYI).

GIMPS still has rewards for new primes that aren't 100M digit and that's just something GIMPS does on their own for anyone using code based on George's library, as an incentive to participate.

Here's the link to that:
https://www.mersenne.org/legal/#mpa

Of course if you're doing this on your own, outside GIMPS, you have two options... do it for the glory. People can help you verify and you can keep the credit for the discovery alone. Or you could be a part of GIMPS which means we'd handle the verification, press releases, you'd be eligible for even the $3000 reward for smaller primes (under 100M digit), and GIMPS becomes a de-facto co-discoverer of the new prime.

Entirely up to you, but in my mind there are benefits to participating in GIMPS to help coordinate the effort, but nobody stops you from using your own custom software to hunt for primes. Just know that if you're using any of George's code, or any other public code, you may be bound to whatever restrictions the author placed on it.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-29, 20:34   #11
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

2×5×7×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
...If you do have a new potential prime using custom code, you're more than welcome to let ask for help in the verification from anyone here. As for the reward, EFF still has the reward for the first 100M digit prime...
By the way, if you do stumble across a 100M digit Mersenne prime, just know that it will take several weeks for someone to verify with Prime95 or similar software. I think even the smallest 100M digit exponent (around 332M) would take my fastest box about 6-7 weeks or so. Something like that.

So if you really did think you're on to something there, it would be good to know your program is actually working correctly, like testing against some known primes and composites as a validation/proof-of-code. If someone spent a long time validating your discovery only to find out it's composite, that would be embarrassing and annoying. False positives are bad enough when they're smaller. LOL
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote