mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2013-12-15, 13:08   #1
PhoebeAnn

Dec 2013
Central FL

128 Posts
Default Status page not showing

As installed, Mersenne tries to start at logon, but Windows 7 cautions that its publisher is unknown, so there's a security popup that lets you cancel the autostart. If I do, but later start it by double-clicking the .exe, the status page does not display. It is running, according to Task Manager, and all 4 CPU cores are at 100% according to CoreTemp, but I'd like to see the status page. Any ideas?
PhoebeAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 14:41   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

248816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoebeAnn View Post
As installed, Mersenne tries to start at logon, but Windows 7 cautions that its publisher is unknown, so there's a security popup that lets you cancel the autostart. If I do, but later start it by double-clicking the .exe, the status page does not display. It is running, according to Task Manager, and all 4 CPU cores are at 100% according to CoreTemp, but I'd like to see the status page. Any ideas?
There should be an icon on the task bar (in the systray). (Usually green with 2P-1 on it.) Double click on that.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 14:51   #3
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

12C016 Posts

Quote:
Did you install the "service" version?

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 14:53   #4
PhoebeAnn

Dec 2013
Central FL

2×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
There should be an icon on the task bar (in the systray). (Usually green with 2P-1 on it.) Double click on that.
Nope, it's not there. I can put one there by pinning the .exe to the taskbar, but the end result is the same. Should have mentioned, btw, that when I try to locate Mersenne by using alt-tab to scroll through tasks, Mersenne does not appear. It's a recent download and unzip, versio is 27.9.1.0.
Old 2013-12-15, 15:29   #5
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

111510 Posts

Unless the OP specifically went through the steps to install Prime95 as a service under Win7, what is more likely happening is a behavior that I have observed in the past, and that may in fact be a bug in need of a fix.

Basically, what happens is that when you double-click on the green Prime95 tray icon, the program starts running, but you do not get the GUI. It takes a *second* double-click on the icon before the GUI will actually pop up on the screen. Again, not sure if this is the intended behavior, or if this is a bug, but the program has behaved this way as long as I can remember.

Note that if you indeed install Prime95 as a service, you can still get a peek at the GUI by navigating to your Prime95 installation folder and *twice* double-clicking on the Prime95 icon. Whenever you are finished with the GUI, however, it is essential that you stop and exit the program (in the GUI window menu bar, navigate to Test:Stop, and then Test:Exit), as you will otherwise have *two* Prime95s running on your system at the same time, fighting over the same initialization and work files! Among other problems, this will cut your throughput by half.
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 18:53   #6
PhoebeAnn

Dec 2013
Central FL

2×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post
Did you install the "service" version?

Luigi
No, didn't know there was one; must've missed that somewhere.

Last fiddled with by PhoebeAnn on 2013-12-15 at 18:53
Old 2013-12-15, 18:56   #7
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

246F16 Posts

Is the user (under which you installed the program) under parental control?
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 19:17   #8
PhoebeAnn

Dec 2013
Central FL

2×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
Unless the OP specifically went through the steps to install Prime95 as a service under Win7, what is more likely happening is a behavior that I have observed in the past, and that may in fact be a bug in need of a fix.

Basically, what happens is that when you double-click on the green Prime95 tray icon, the program starts running, but you do not get the GUI. It takes a *second* double-click on the icon before the GUI will actually pop up on the screen.
That's the problem (or feature) -- thanks. I didn't intentionally install it as a service, but it's acting as though it was, based on the description at http://www.mersenneforum.org/showpos...47&postcount=7. I was running as the built-in Administrator when I unzipped and first ran prime95.exe, which in another post implied that it would be installed as a service. I'll look into this a little deeper.

Further complicating things, this will be a dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu machine, so I'd like to have prime95 autostart at either boot and use the same database files. Some more deeper looking into, I guess.
Old 2013-12-15, 19:19   #9
PhoebeAnn

Dec 2013
Central FL

2×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
Is the user (under which you installed the program) under parental control?
No.
Old 2013-12-15, 21:42   #10
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

23×7×167 Posts

Quote:
That's the problem (or feature) -- thanks.
When you have the Prime95 screen active make sure to check "Tray Icon" under "Options". That will make it easy to pop in and check things.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 23:20   #11
PhoebeAnn

Dec 2013
Central FL

10102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
When you have the Prime95 screen active make sure to check "Tray Icon" under "Options". That will make it easy to pop in and check things.
That's the way it's set, but there was no tray icon either when the problem first surfaced. I have since manually pinned the .exe to the tray, so it's anybody's guess why it's there now. There's a lot to learn about this thing...