mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Science & Technology

View Poll Results: I _actually_ received my booster COVID vaccine dose in...
Sep 2021 (or earlier) 6 11.54%
Oct 2021 6 11.54%
Nov 2021 11 21.15%
Dec 2021 14 26.92%
Jan 2022 5 9.62%
Feb 2022 2 3.85%
Mar 2022 0 0%
Apr 2022 0 0%
May 2022 0 0%
Planning not to boost vaccination/not to vaccinate 8 15.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2021-12-19, 13:52   #34
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

116618 Posts

Friday 17.12.2021. Moderna booster after two OAZ.
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-19, 16:33   #35
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

37·229 Posts

Do we do a booster six months after the last booster?

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-19, 18:12   #36
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

22×72×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Do we do a booster six months after the last booster?

I haven't heard any scientists or politicians talking about 4th vaccine yet, I guess it is too early.
Maybe when there is an updated vaccine targeted for the Omicron variant?
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-19, 20:52   #37
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

6,563 Posts

Vaccination rate, case rate, death rate (Johns Hopkins dashboard) https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Adverse effects:
Anaphylaxis (hundreds affected at least)
TTS (9 deaths)
Guillain-Barre Syndrome (278)
Myocarditis/pericarditis (1908 in age 12-29, 1106 confirmed)
death (10,483; 9 additional are causally attributed to J&J vaccine)
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...se-events.html

Effectiveness (defined as preventing hospitalization for Covid19)
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...-effectiveness
with downloadable spreedsheet

Fourth vaccination, and more, being discussed for the general population by Pfizer CEO and Fauci and others. A fourth is already recommended for immunocompromised people.
Long term, expect at least annual covid vaccines, like the flu, and perhaps only as effective.
https://thevaccinereaction.org/2021/...-annual-shots/

Dr. Gottlieb, former FDA administrator, current Pfizer board member, expects fourth and annual vaccines.
(I wonder how much stock he owns.) https://www.deseret.com/coronavirus/...scott-gottlieb

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-12-19 at 21:18
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-20, 13:43   #38
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

10110110000102 Posts

As mentioned in this post, they were already talking about fourth doses in Israel by back in September.

It appears that simply being vaccinated offers very little protection against "breakthrough" infections from omicron, and having received a booster offers only limited protection. I don't think it is yet clear how much protection being vaccinated, or vaccinated and boosted, gives against severe illness (leading to hospitalization or death) from omicron.

I had measles, mumps, and rubella before vaccines for them were available. And, of course, chickenpox.

These are generally not serious illnesses in children, though there can be complications, particularly from measles.

People who recover from childhood chickenpox do not entirely clear the virus however, and it can cause shingles later in life. My mother had shingles and father may have, but it was not serious for either of them.

However, adult measles, and especially adult chickenpox, can be serious.

Parents used to have "chickenpox parties," hoping to have their young kids exposed to chickenpox, seeing it as a non-serious "childhood illness" best to be over and done with.

Since COVID is widely seen to be a non-serious illness in children, it would surprise me if having "COVID parties" did not become a common practice.

I note, however, that recovering from a case of chickenpox appears to confer lifelong immunity (though the same virus can later cause shingles), but immunity to COVID appears to be much less robust. And, if the Delta variant is any indication, the perception of COVID as not seriously affecting children might be unduly optimistic.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-29, 23:21   #39
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

41×257 Posts
Default My partner and I got our booster shot today.

Just for the record...

We drove down to a polyclinic and within an hour were back on the road having been given our booster shot.

No adverse reaction.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-29, 23:48   #40
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

6,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
within an hour were back on the road
An HOUR?! A local HMO involved clinic was under half an hour each time, including the obligatory sit there for 15 minutes to show us you're not deadly allergic to it.
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-29, 23:55   #41
jwaltos

Apr 2012
Oh oh.

1110011002 Posts

Quote:
We drove down to a polyclinic and within an hour were back on the road having been given our booster shot.No adverse reaction.
"..if the Delta variant is any indication, the perception of COVID as not seriously affecting children might be unduly optimistic."

My wife and I had our boosters yesterday (Moderna) and aside from a slightly sore shoulder all is good. Batalov had mentioned that he would be willing to provide information regarding Covid if asked..I think this was in the "Lounge" area. A good friend of ours is director of infectious disease control overseeing several hospitals and we were advised to self-isolate when we got back to Canada which we did which was a few weeks before the pandemic [shit] hit the fan. At the time I anticipated variants (that's the job of a virus, move and mutate) as well as the attendant tragedies and economic activity. If stupidity were a viral infection then too bad there's not a vaccine for it..but then again are there any stupid virii?
During our line-up for the vaccine (which went quickly and we had our updated vaccine passports within the hour) we saw a number of children and young adults. Thumbs up all around.

Last fiddled with by jwaltos on 2021-12-29 at 23:58
jwaltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-30, 00:02   #42
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

41·257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
An HOUR?! A local HMO involved clinic was under half an hour each time, including the obligatory sit there for 15 minutes to show us you're not deadly allergic to it.
Hey... This is Barbados...

On the upside, everyone was in tee shirts, shorts, and sandals.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-30, 15:09   #43
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·3·971 Posts

Quote:
Just for the record...

We drove down to a polyclinic and within an hour were back on the road having been given our booster shot.

No adverse reaction.
Excellent! When I went for my booster [October 26th], it took at least an hour. This was because I went in soon after the booster clinic opened, and the line was very long. It was kind of frustrating, but also heartening to see so many people getting boosted.

One of the interesting things was that each station giving shots could only have enough at any one time for immediate use. There were "runners" who would bring more doses to the stations. Each station would signal the runners that they needed more doses by waving a marking flag. The system worked pretty well - they would be resupplied within seconds.

People who waited till next day got through much quicker.
Old 2021-12-30, 15:17   #44
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×3×971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaltos View Post
<snip>
If stupidity were a viral infection then too bad there's not a vaccine for it..but then again are there any stupid virii?
<snip>
There are many cases of people being cured of stupidity. Some of them are documented on a subreddit called the "Herman Cain Awards."

I suppose you could say that variants of a virus that go extinct are "stupid." Of course, they don't make the news as much as "variants of concern."