firejuggler

"Vincent"
Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

1010101101002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
A few comments based upon my viewpoint:

Waste to Energy (WTE) can take several forms. In can take a solid wastestream wholesale (like this awesome project.) Or it can take the dregs left after intense recycling (like the plastics that are often considered 'unrecyclable', leather, rubber, and other products that may not be suited to backhaul off the island). Modern plants are not the old incinerators from the 1970's. It is useful in diversified waste and power management portfolios. It can greatly reduce the need for landfills and even provide enhanced recovery of metals. (Podcast/article resource, while the story is USA centric it applies well to other places.)

Biomass can be agricultural waste (stalks, stems, straw, spent sugar cane, etc.) It can be a feedstock for WTE facility or can be handled at separate facility tuned for it. The waste ash can be a nutrient source for plants. Or the "conversion" can be handled at a bio-char facility that uses the off-gas as fuel and produces a useable agricultural product. In can be processed at a dry digestion facility and the gas harvested or a wet digestion facility (with gas harvesting). This again provides great volume reduction. If a digester is used, the solids left are good fertilizer.
This all is just a slow form of solar power.

Biogas can be from a landfill or from digester facilities. Solid waste from humans and farm animals that are digested for this are not normally considered 'biomass'. This can greatly help reduce pollution from those sources. Existing thermal plants can sometimes have biogas added in. Or the engines can be converted or replaced, but leaving the bulk of the plant untouched. In addition to the power generated in the ICE or the turbine, waste heat can be tapped for bonus power (I have worked at such a plant.) Biogas with gas storage capacity (some landfills use the fill as a storage location) can be very good for peak loads.

These three can also exploit synergies (through colocation, etc.) All of these take on island potential sources and put them to work. (Tidal power is very much YMMV).

Forgive my ignorance, but is there a potential for geothermal power there? Again, that can be very robust against storms and very good for baseline load.

A point that can't be stressed enough, there is no "THE" solution. There are many parts to a good solution.

Those point are considered, shortly , in Volume 3 Schedule I (i) point 68 and 69

Last fiddled with by firejuggler on 2021-11-23 at 11:53
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-23, 12:45   #24
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

237718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firejuggler View Post
Those point are considered, shortly , in Volume 3 Schedule I (i) point 68 and 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
In looking search the documents 3 sources of power that are quite hardenable against natural threats that don't get good attention [edit: 'in the documents'] that are well suited to islands are (in no particular order):
Waste to Energy, Biomass, and Biogas
the bits in the edit did not make it into the original post. From my gloss of the sections, it looked like "well that was supposed to happen, but it didn't." It did not look like they were embracing it in a strong way pointing to less reliance on imports.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-23, 12:57   #25
firejuggler

"Vincent"
Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

274010 Posts

They plan to be at 100% renewable energy by 2030, thus eliminating that kind of import. See Table I-1. All diesel engine will be retired. By 2032, all HFO engine will be retired.
Old 2021-11-23, 13:31   #26
firejuggler

"Vincent"
Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

274010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post

It occurred to me to wonder whether ROI not being "high enough" might be due to miscalculation or just plain poor decision making. If that be the case, the rate payers should not be penalized for their screwups.

Their reasonning is explained in Volume 3, Schedule F.
Since they have to invest heavilly to be 100% green by 2030, they need some liquidity, aka money. An expert concluded that the new ROI would need to be that high, based on some USA case and theInternational Financial Reporting Standards wich allow a ROI of upto 10% by year.

Also, see section BV2 of volume 4 (slightly long read)

Last fiddled with by firejuggler on 2021-11-23 at 14:20
Old 2021-11-23, 18:15   #27
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×3×1,697 Posts
Default Thanks everyone...

Thank you to everyone who has shared their time on this.

Our first meeting went very well (90 minutes in "meat space"; I think it's the first time I've worn dress shoes in two years), and your points were much appreciated by the Team.

We have some pedantic legal work to do, but I do my best to keep everyone up to date as to progress (as I can; some of the knowledge we'll be working with is Confidential).

Future meetings will be over Zoom. Please reach out if anyone would be interested in receiving an invite.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote