Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2010-08-21, 18:31   #67
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

23·3·101 Posts

For me, it's the frames that are expensive.
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-21, 20:24   #68
__HRB__

Dec 2008
Boycotting the Soapbox

24·32·5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
In the mean time you can get LASIK (e.g. here) for $1299 per eye. Also, a years supply of Acuvue Oasis contact lenses is roughly $50 (amortized) if you know how to game the system properly.
__HRB__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-22, 11:33   #69
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2×3×13×83 Posts
Default Goin up the country

(I might even leave the the USA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM5VZiaPvys

Hi Butch,

Quote:
Someone broke into the family car two days ago and stole three prescription glasses, which were worth about $1,000 total. F$#%ing car burglars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
How can anyone be vain enough to spend that money on glasses?
Serves you right.

Blind Owl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=audxGqo5AkQ

Quote:
I rest my case.
Ask WBlipp about my eyesight, diplomacy and keeping one's
powder dry.

I'm better when I move,
Sundance

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2010-08-22 at 11:58
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-23, 13:01   #70
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

11001010010102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by __HRB__ View Post
In the mean time you can get LASIK (e.g. here) for $1299 per eye. Also, a years supply of Acuvue Oasis contact lenses is roughly $50 (amortized) if you know how to game the system properly.
"I've got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals".
Old 2010-08-23, 18:28   #71
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×5×647 Posts

My main workhorse computer at home (a "vintage" PowerMac G5 from 2004) had a coolant leak and is now available as parts. I'm going to buy a used one so that I can stuff my old HD in it. It will be a short term solution until I buy a new computer. Outside of craigslist (or eBay), can anyone recommend a good website to buy used hardware?
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 05:20   #72
Primeinator

"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M52..

3×5×61 Posts

I signed up for a rather ambitious course load and only realized today how difficult it is going to be

Organic Chemistry w/ lab and lab lecture
Embryology w/ lab
Molecular Genetics
Animal Physiology w/ lab

Only 4 courses but it comes out to 17 hours and all courses are 300 -level +
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 19:24   #73
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

11001010010102 Posts
Default M24956203 is not prime

Shit happen (:

David
Old 2010-09-14, 15:38   #74
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2×1,877 Posts

Linda and I had a bit of a rough patch yesterday.
I do a bit of data entry and minor computer maintenance for my family's income tax business but the last check I received from the business was inadvertently unsigned (oh the bank had looked a bit squirrely at me as they slowly handed that unsigned business check back to me). I decided to bring my girlfriend along on this trip as I would be combining errands, pass by the family office (to fix the check), stop by the library, etc. and culminate in taking her to lunch (The Olive Garden this time. It was good)

Ulcerative colitis compels me to make any restaurant forays my last stop before scurrying home.

Anyway, my first stop was to buy something at Kmart and I brought my sweetheart with me into the store because decrepitude is setting in for her and this is a way I get her to do a little walking. Upon trying to pay for a single item and leave the store I entered a state of poorly managed anger as the register rang up my item at 50% higher cost than the shelf pricing. The cashier then entered some strange holding pattern halfway between her register and the customer service desk and was completely unresponsive to anything I said to her. Basically I was asking advice for some way to sit my girlfriend down because she is diabetic and we'd mismanaged her levels and she was entering a moderately serious low sugar crash.

I don't handle conflicting objectives well in charged situations and I couldn't think of or see any place I could place my girlfriend while staying near the register to complete the transaction assuming the cashier would return, etc. There was a substantial queue behind me and I was feeling a bit of pressure about that too. Linda correctly assessed that she would be unable to get to the car to sit down on her own, but I had already swiped my credit card into the point-of-sale equipment and at a minimum I wanted the cashier to return so that I could be sure that the credit card information would be cleared if I left after canceling the purchase transaction. I gave up and walked my girlfriend out of the store and hoped for the best.

After completing the rest of my errands and having lunch, we returned home. I then learned that Kmart sends email receipt confirmations of purchases; I'm not sure if it was via the store loyalty card program or whatnot -- anyway in my email box was a receipt for $108 of merchandise charged to my card (perhaps by the next patron in line). I've spoken to customer service at the store and the credit card company and now I must wait for this activity to be fully processed by my credit card company and then dispute the transaction. Gah! This is way too much effort for what was intended to be a quick run into the store to buy a package of underwear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095953/quotes?qt0192563

Last fiddled with by only_human on 2010-09-14 at 16:10 Reason: appended a link to the specific "Rain Man" quote that Xyzzy is referencing
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 15:44   #75
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

32·929 Posts

K-Mart sucks.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 16:57   #76
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2·1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Well in my case, I am happy with the the efforts of the manager of the store to understand the circumstances, follow-up, undo the charges to my credit card for items I did not receive, and personally apologize for the situation and circumstances that lead up to the problems.

My hand waving was limited to bringing in a copy of the spurious charges to the store, and a private negative feedback online to the transaction feedback link for this transaction.

That was sufficient to receive a few follow-up calls in which I answered questions and we tracked and confirmed the spurious charges to my card. On Friday, all the spurious charges were reversed off my credit card. Today (Monday), I received a further call from Kmart owner, Sears, confirming that things were resolved to my satisfaction, I had received an apology, and the problem response could be closed.

It may not be germane to follow-up an unhappy me item with a resolution recap but I do not wish to besmirch their name(s) when my problems have been resolved.
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 11:47   #77
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

40358 Posts

Drove through some country lanes the other day and saw 5 dead badgers.

I did think about bringing one home for my daughter who collects animal skulls! Imagine the stink.
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote