mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2021-09-03, 09:17   #1156
kruoli

"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

2·383 Posts

Maybe the shepherd needs to dig a hole where he wants to lean on his staff. Or maybe he needs to raise a small hill for himself to stand on...
kruoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-03, 09:27   #1157
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

24×613 Posts

yeah, and move the hole around, as he walks, hehe.

I had a colleague some time ago who was a mechanical engineer and he used to say that the easiest way to drill a hole into something is to take a hole and paste it there (he always said that with the gesture of spitting/licking on a stamp and stick it somewhere). This was long before the "CAD era", and he was so funny, we didn't think at the time that he had some foreseeing powers...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2021-09-03 at 09:29
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-03, 11:59   #1158
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

512010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
yeah, and move the hole around, as he walks, hehe.

I had a colleague some time ago who was a mechanical engineer and he used to say that the easiest way to drill a hole into something is to take a hole and paste it there (he always said that with the gesture of spitting/licking on a stamp and stick it somewhere). This was long before the "CAD era", and he was so funny, we didn't think at the time that he had some foreseeing powers...
This sort of thing was common in cartoons.

Wile E. Coyote tries to catch Roadrunner by painting a "tunnel entrance" on a rock face with black paint. He then chases Roadrunner toward it. As Wile E. Coyote pulls up short in anticipatory glee, Roadrunner runs on - and disappears into the painted "tunnel entrance." When Wile E. Coyote tries to resume the chase, he hits the painted tunnel entrance on the solid rock face and falls down. Then gets hit by a locomotive coming out of his painted "tunnel entrance."

EDIT: I knew I'd seen a cartoon specifically about the kind of "paste-on holes" you mention. I Googled cartoon character makes holes in walls and there in the hit parade was the title - The Hole Idea. It is a 1955 Looney Tunes cartoon in which Professor Calvin Q. Calculus invents "portable holes," only to have a thief steal them, and then go on a crime spree.

I saw the cartoon on TV when I was very young. I still remembered how the bad guy got his comeuppance.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-09-03 at 13:10
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-05, 06:41   #1159
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

980810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
This sort of thing was common in cartoons.

Wile E. Coyote tries to catch Roadrunner by painting a "tunnel entrance" on a rock face with black paint. He then chases Roadrunner toward it. As Wile E. Coyote pulls up short in anticipatory glee, Roadrunner runs on - and disappears into the painted "tunnel entrance." When Wile E. Coyote tries to resume the chase, he hits the painted tunnel entrance on the solid rock face and falls down. Then gets hit by a locomotive coming out of his painted "tunnel entrance."
We were once young too (unbelievable, is it?) and big fan of "cactus jack" movie, we still consider it one of the best of young Arnold's (together with kindergarten cop, etc., you see, we like his violent movies, but like the karma even more, hehe), in spite of the critics' reviews (of course, he had a lot of support from Kirk Douglas, by then quite a renowned actor).
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-06, 21:52   #1160
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

210·5 Posts

A scientist trains a frog to jump on command. The frog can jump 2 meters.

Then he decides to study how amputating its legs one by one affects how far it can jump.

So he amputates one leg from the frog, and commands the frog to jump. He enters the result:

With one leg amputated, the frog can only jump a meter and a half.

He then amputates a second leg, and commands the frog to jump. He enters the result:

With two legs amputated, the frog can only jump one meter.

He then amputates a third leg, and commands the frog to jump. He enters the result:

With three legs amputated, the frog can only jump half a meter.

He then amputates the last leg, and commands the frog to jump. The frog does not jump. He enters the result:

With all four legs amputated, the frog goes deaf.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-10, 22:09   #1161
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·5,021 Posts

When the narrator enters the fourth wall...

Quite clever.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-30, 14:44   #1162
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

3×372 Posts

Pet owner: Hi, I need to have my dog fixed.

Vet clinic: OK. Spay or neuter?

Pet owner: Which is cheaper?
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-01, 00:56   #1163
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

1004210 Posts
Default Ever had "one of those lives"?

An Atheist, an Agnostic, and a Buddhist are spending some quality "real-time" together.

After a long (and welcome) period of silence, the Atheist asks "Can you believe what's being believed nowadays?

"Yes." answers the Agnostic immediately.

The Buddhist doesn't even bother letting the question enter their mind. They have already determined the answer to this, and many other things, long ago.

P.S. That's sincerely meant to be funny. It's been "one of those weeks"...
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-01, 12:34   #1164
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

24·13·53 Posts

Just discovered on Twitter:

Einstein goes to heaven and doesn't see God. He asks a passing angel where to find him. And the angel says,"Oh, he's over at the craps table."
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-01, 13:39   #1165
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

591810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
An Atheist, an Agnostic, and a Buddhist are spending some quality "real-time" together.

After a long (and welcome) period of silence, the Atheist asks "Can you believe what's being believed nowadays?

"Yes." answers the Agnostic immediately.
Nice but I think you have them backward. The agnostic asks. The atheist immediately replies no.
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-01, 16:39   #1166
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

410710 Posts

A theologian, a psychologist and an engineer are hunting in Alaska when a snow storm hits. They see a light ahead and find a cabin. No one seems home, but they venture in from the storm counting on hospitality. When they enter, they find the wood stove suspended from the rafters by wire, instead of sitting on the floor. Each forms their own opinion:

Theologian - The owner is a sun worshiper. The stove represents the presence of their deity.

Psychologist - The owner is trying to recapture the feeling of their time before birth.

Engineer - The owner is trying to radiate heat in all directions.

As time progresses, they each refine their opinions with elaborate additions.

When the owner returns, they explain each opinion and ask which may be correct. The owner replies that none are correct. The reason the stove is suspended is because they had lots of baling wire and very little stove pipe.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote