Old 2016-10-21, 17:58   #1
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

11×17×59 Posts
Default Recipes

Anyone else here interested in posting recipes for food and/or drink for home consumption?

Recipes could be either pre-published and worthy of wider distribution, or novel inventions made by the poster.

If there is interest, I could contribute my versions of chilli con coction, Four Seasons cocktails, Comfort cocktail, Windolene cocktail, Italian hot&sour soup, fish biryani, pepperoncini con alio, olio y spaghetti, and "Paul's savoury mince" as it is known in our extended family.

Expressions of interest should include a recipe.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-21, 18:14   #2
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

2×7×347 Posts
Default Fire and Ice

Quite possibly the best Summer cool-down drink.

Invented by your's truly.
Unless you do NOT consume alcohol.

1 ounce of Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey (or similar)
Fill glass with Sweet Iced Tea. (Might not be readily available in the U S of A.)
Add Ice

You get Cinnamon flavored Iced Tea.
The Sugar in the Iced Tea nullifies the "burn" of the Whiskey.
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-21, 18:30   #3
wombatman
I moo ablest echo power!

May 2013

6F916 Posts
Default Kale Salad

This one is delicious and good for you. It keeps around 3-4 days refrigerated and is actually best if you let it refrigerate for a few hours before eating.

Ingredients:
Kale or baby kale
Dried cranberries
Sunflower seeds
Sun-dried tomatoes (optional)
Dressing (mine is given below)

Dressing
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1-2 tsp brown sugar
3 tbsp olive oil

Mix vigorously.

If you're using kale, pull the leaves from the woody stems and tear into smaller pieces. Discard the stems (or use for compost).

To make the salad, dress the kale and add the cranberries, sunflower seeds, and tomatoes (if you're using them). Toss and allow to sit for at least an hour in the refrigerator. Overnight is even better.

I normally don't like raw kale, but this has proven absolutely delicious.
wombatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-21, 23:25   #4
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

1C3516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
Quite possibly the best Summer cool-down drink.

Invented by your's truly.
Unless you do NOT consume alcohol.

1 ounce of Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey (or similar)
Fill glass with Sweet Iced Tea. (Might not be readily available in the U S of A.)
Add Ice

You get Cinnamon flavored Iced Tea.
The Sugar in the Iced Tea nullifies the "burn" of the Whiskey.
In my experience Fireball is the least "burn"-y whiskey I've ever had.

And by Sweet Iced Tea, do you mean something different than that which is known in the South as sweet tea?

Attached is an horchata recipe I've used once or twice (Mexican variety). I've no idea if my old roommate made it or if he googled it from somewhere else.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Horchata Recipe.pdf (234.4 KB, 125 views)
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-22, 12:01   #5
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

20C016 Posts

closest thing I have to a recipe is roughly this:

roughly 1/2 cup of cranberry juice
roughly 1/4 cup of chocolate milk
roughly 1/4 cup of clear citrus pop ( like sprite/7up)

and if the ratios are gotten just right and you add them in that order you'll end up with a concoction that taste almost like what I would think a strawberry smoothie taste like.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-22, 16:46   #6
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

254318 Posts
Default Four seasons

Ok, there's clearly some interest so I'll throw in (throw up??) the first of my threatened recipes. Others will appear after several other contributions are posted by other forum members.

This one may call for 24 hours preparation time, unless you habitually store your vodka at -18C or thereabouts. It must be seriously cold, though still liquid so no cheating with dry ice or liquid nitrogen baths.

Ingredients: vodka, crème de menthe, Galliano, Kahlua, blue curaçao.

Take four shot glasses and fill each almost to the top with vodka straight from the freezer. Please use a half-way decent vodka and not the sort of crap which people generally pollute with cola or with tomato juice. I favour Smirnoff blue label but there are many others which are worth drinking neat.

In the first glass, put in several drops of crème de menthe, enough to give a delicate mint taste and a pale green colour after stirring. This is Spring.

In the second, add about a cc of Galliano and stir to produce a golden liquid which is sweetish and smells (and tastes) of vanilla. This is Summer.

In the third, add about a cc of Kahlua and stir. The pale brown colour of falling leaves indicates it is Autumn.

Finally, add 2 or 3 drops of blue curaçao to the fourth glass and swirl around so that the liqueur colours the entire volume but is not completely homogenized so that streaks of different refractive index are still visible. This is icy Winter.

Notes.

Summer and autumn need more liqueur than the others because the colouring agents are not so intense. All these cocktails are primarily about making the vodka look good and secondarily about altering its taste.

Absinthe (the green varieties of course) can be substituted for crème de menthe but you'll need more volume to achieve the correct colour.

Tia Maria can be substituted for Kahlua.

It should go without saying that these need to be drunk while still below 0C.
Old 2016-10-22, 17:07   #7
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

11×17×59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
Attached is an horchata recipe I've used once or twice (Mexican variety). I've no idea if my old roommate made it or if he googled it from somewhere else.
Looks good! Something I've never come across before and definitely should try.

The rice shouldn't go to waste. If nothing else, our chucks will love it. Doubtless it could be added as an ingredient in a number of other recipes.
Old 2016-10-22, 17:20   #8
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
The rice shouldn't go to waste. If nothing else, our chucks will love it. Doubtless it could be added as an ingredient in a number of other recipes.
That's the one thing I haven't quite figured out. As far as I can tell, the rice flavor is successfully absorbed into the water, leaving the rest rather... well, try it for yourself. I would be pleasantly surprised if you are in fact able to use it in other recipes.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-22, 19:21   #9
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

3·587 Posts

Here in the Netherlands, satésaus (peanut sauce) is added liberally to various dishes, including Indonesian specialities such as Bami or Nasi Goreng, but also eaten with chips/fries.
(If you are cold and hungry in Holland, just order a "Patatje oorlog" - literally "fries warstyle" - from a local food stand and experience it for yourself.)

Everyone has their own strongly held views on how exactly satésaus should be made, so other Dutch forum members will no doubt disagree completely with the following recipe.

Warm about 200ml of milk gently in a pan.
Add: a sprinkling of sugar, a heaped teaspoon of sambal oelek, a level teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and a generous dash of ketjap manis.
When the mixture is hot, gradually stir in good quality peanut butter, continuing until the sauce thickens.
Then serve immediately (before it starts spitting all over the place).
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-23, 05:19   #10
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

236568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Anyone else here interested in posting recipes for food and/or drink for home consumption?

Expressions of interest should include a recipe.
I will have to take a rain check on the recipe. I need to collect the results of many batches of chocolate chip cookies. I have been experimenting with different proportions for quite some time.
First, I tried for something that puffed up and stayed soft. I never really achieve that goal as I conceived it, though some of the results got high marks from friends, family, and coworkers.

Then I aimed for thin and crisp. It turns out, that besides the large amount of butter, a startling amount of sugar is required to make cookies come out this way. This one, I succeeded to the point of calculating just how to roll it back a bit. Baking time and temp make big differences,especially with thin cookies.

I will have to get back to y'all with some examples.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-23, 14:03   #11
MattcAnderson

"Matthew Anderson"
Dec 2010
Oregon, USA

17178 Posts

HI Everybody,
I like oatmeal for breakfast. I buy the oatmeal packets in the grocery store. In the morning, I tear the top and put the dry oats with sugar in a bowl. I add water until it is about covered. Then I put it in the microwave for less than 40 seconds. If it is too hot, it burns my mouth. It is important to put about 33 seconds on the microwave for temperature. This meal is tasty.

Regards,
Matt
MattcAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote