Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2021-02-13, 17:04   #78
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·5·1,103 Posts

As many here know, I live 50% of the time near El Paso (LP, not TX) and the remainder near Cambridge (UK, not MA).

Today the day time maximum where I presently live was 2C. The night time minimum in the other was 12C

You can probably guess where I am now.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-15, 05:10   #79
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

24×613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
You can probably guess where I am now.
In your bed, sleeping.
But at the time of posting, you were in front of the monitor.
What do I get?

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2021-02-15 at 05:11
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-15, 05:25   #80
MattcAnderson

"Matthew Anderson"
Dec 2010
Oregon, USA

967 Posts

We just got done with 40 hours of no electricity. I'm glad the heat is back on. We had a nasty ice storm here in Oregon, USA.

Matt
MattcAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-16, 00:43   #81
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

11·467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattcAnderson View Post
We just got done with 40 hours of no electricity. I'm glad the heat is back on. We had a nasty ice storm here in Oregon, USA.
As far as the power going out, you've got plenty of company. The power is off in many US homes as millions deal with frigid wintry weather
Quote:
The bad weather was widespread, with more than a third of the continental US recording below-zero temperatures Monday.
The mercury dropped to 5 degrees in Dallas, 6 below zero in Oklahoma City and 32 below zero in Kansas City, Missouri -- the coldest for those cities since 1989. Snow fell in Brownsville, Texas, where measurable snow has occurred only twice on record since 1898.
<snip>
"Below-zero" is below zero Fahrenheit, or below -17.8 Celsius.
Quote:
The cold air is so widespread that you could travel nearly 2,000 miles from the Rio Grande on the Mexican border to the St. Lawrence River on the Canadian border entirely in winter storm warnings or watches.

Winter storms stretch from coast to coast, impacting 100 million people
There is the potential for more than 240 cold temperature records to be broken by Tuesday evening, and some records have already been shattered.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-16, 05:20   #82
jwaltos

Apr 2012
Gracie on alert.

13×31 Posts

Arte Johnson as Wolfgang, a former German storm trooper would probably mutter.. "Verry interesting."
We're in Mennonite country and I don't believe there are snow tires on their carriages..however, anyone with a snowmobile is having a great time.

Last fiddled with by jwaltos on 2021-02-16 at 05:22
jwaltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-16, 12:59   #83
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

134458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaltos View Post
We're in Mennonite country and I don't believe there are snow tires on their carriages.
But the horses are four-hoof-drive each, and four-hoof ABS, with a degree of autonomous collision avoidance and GPS (homing on their usual feed bag location if allowed to choose their own course).

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-02-16 at 13:01
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-16, 13:52   #84
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

11·467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaltos View Post
<snip>
We're in Mennonite country and I don't believe there are snow tires on their carriages..however, anyone with a snowmobile is having a great time.
I remember many years ago seeing a news story about Amish buggies which did have "snow tires." I don't remember whether that story featured studded horseshoes or studded buggy wheels, but I do remember seeing video showing patches of asphalt being lifted off the pavement as the buggy passed over it. Apparently studded horseshoes and steel buggy wheels still do significant road damage.
Old 2021-02-16, 18:47   #85
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

32×929 Posts

https://imgur.com/gallery/3jYlOGX
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-16, 18:48   #86
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009

1,987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattcAnderson View Post

Matt
This same storm system brought ice and snow to The Midwest, and now, below zero temperatures are coming. It is currently -4Β°F in parts of Missouri. The forecast for Louisville, KY, is 3Β°F Wednesday morning. This means below zero for my area. Another winter storm is to dump more snow and ice here on Thursday.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-17, 00:17   #87
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

11×467 Posts

During the Arab Oil Embargo that began in 1973, in response to US support of Israel in the Yom Kippur War, bumper stickers appeared in Texas (and other oil-producing states like Oklahoma and Louisiana):

LET THE YANKEES FREEZE IN THE DARK

Now, thanks to an Arctic invasion and winter storm system of staggering proportions, along with a "do it on the cheap" approach to electric power generation that did not allow for preparing power plants to work in really cold weather, it is millions of Texans who are freezing in the dark.

After 9 consecutive mostly cloudy, mainly windy days with highs below 20 F (-6.7 C) and the last few days below 10 F (-12.2 C), with lows around zero F (-17.8 C), today the sky was blue, the sun was shining, the wind wasn't blowing, and the temperature rocketed up to 15 F (-9.4 C). A welcome respite, except for the fact that there was about a foot (30.5 cm) of snow to shovel. I got the front sidewalks and porches for me and my neighbor done. I wasn't sure I could manage her driveway (or mine). She's 90 years old, and I've been helping her out with things like snow shoveling and resolving problems with her TV. If she needs to travel, having her driveway clear is best - she can get in and out of a car in her attached garage. A neighbor who had also been clearing snow thought one of her sons might be able to plow it, but offered to help me do it just in case.

I called her to advise her. While I was on the phone, I heard a big engine. Another neighbor was having their driveway plowed by a guy with a hauling and demolition business. He was using a small 4-wheel front end loader. As I learned later, my neighbor called to inquire, and was told it would cost her $50.00 for him to clear her driveway, and she said she'd think about it.

Just about that time, a man driving a back hoe showed up and immediately went to work on her driveway. When he finished, I asked him who he was. He was her nephew. I asked if he could give me a hand with my driveway. "Be happy to." I thanked him and bowed. My driveway was clear in minutes. He appreciated what I've been doing for his aunt.
Old 2021-02-17, 02:42   #88
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

29×349 Posts

Some good folks, some not good. In NYC all of their trash trucks do double duty as snow plows.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote