mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-09-02, 22:03   #1
mack
 
Sep 2009

510 Posts
Default AMD or Intel

i have looked around on the forum and found that a p4 Intel from 2004 has a per iteration time of 0.02 something. my amd athlon x2 at 2.43 gHz has a per iteration time of 0.155? does this have something to do with hardware or software? or does it have something to do with the type of test?
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 12:32   #2
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))
 
fivemack's Avatar
 
Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

18B216 Posts
Default

It depends on what size of exponent you're working on; a 3.2GHz P4 manages an iteration time of 0.029 for numbers in the 18-million range, a 2.4GHz Athlon X2 would take 0.17 seconds for numbers in the 60-million range.

The prime95 code happens to run a good deal faster for exponents of the same size on Intel than on AMD chips of the same GHz.

http://www.mersenne.org/report_benchmarks/
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 14:58   #3
lfm
 
lfm's Avatar
 
Jul 2006
Calgary

1A916 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemack View Post
The prime95 code happens to run a good deal faster for exponents of the same size on Intel than on AMD chips of the same GHz.

http://www.mersenne.org/report_benchmarks/
True but on chips of the same PRICE it seems AMD has a slight edge in some cases.
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 19:58   #4
mack
 
Sep 2009

1012 Posts
Default

how can I find the exponent i am working on?
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 17:01   #5
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

8,737 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
how can I find the exponent i am working on?
Open Prime95 (it should be a little green box in the Systray), and in the worker winodws it will say what exponent it is working on. It says what type of test and how far along it is.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-11, 05:36   #6
Reed_Young
 
Sep 2009
New Mexico

3·7 Posts
Default And in Linux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Open Prime95 (it should be a little green box in the Systray), and in the worker winodws it will say what exponent it is working on. It says what type of test and how far along it is.
In my GIMPS directory, I see results.txt. Do you mind helping me interpret the last line of it? I'm not as interested in the % progress, stage 1 or 2, iteration # on the leading lines. I just want to know about:

"M41674859 completed P-1, B1=455000, B2=7962500"

The M# I think I get :) but what are B1 & B2? Thank you.

Reed Young
Reed_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 17:51   #7
cheesehead
 
cheesehead's Avatar
 
"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

1C1416 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed_Young View Post
In my GIMPS directory, I see results.txt. Do you mind helping me interpret the last line of it? I'm not as interested in the % progress, stage 1 or 2, iteration # on the leading lines. I just want to know about:

"M41674859 completed P-1, B1=455000, B2=7962500"

The M# I think I get :) but what are B1 & B2? Thank you.

Reed Young
In the P-1 factoring method, B1 and B2 are two parameters that specify how far to go in stage 1 and stage 2, respectively.

http://mersennewiki.org/index.php/P-...ization_Method explains how the B1 and B2 values fit into the P-1 algorithm.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 01:48   #8
Reed_Young
 
Sep 2009
New Mexico

3×7 Posts
Default

Thank you again, cheesehead. The wiki looks great.
Reed_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unknown Intel fidelitas Information & Answers 4 2014-08-20 18:36
AMD vs Intel dtripp Software 3 2013-02-19 20:20
Intel NUC nucleon Hardware 2 2012-05-10 23:53
Intel RNG API? R.D. Silverman Programming 19 2011-09-17 01:43
Intel Mac? penguain NFSNET Discussion 0 2006-06-12 01:31

All times are UTC. The time now is 15:42.

Tue Oct 27 15:42:37 UTC 2020 up 47 days, 12:53, 1 user, load averages: 2.00, 2.29, 2.35

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.