mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-10-15, 16:00   #1
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

24·59 Posts
Default Urgent HELP needed... how to send e-mail to 40000 recipients?

Dear member of this forum.

My sister, who has been in a severe disabling accident in a bus, need to send e-mails out, to 40,000 recipients, in hope that we will find at least1 witness to my sisters accident. We really need this/these witness(es), in order to solve this case fairly and just. Anyone here who knows how to send (without having to risk bankrupcy) e-mail to 40,000 recipients?

It appears that mailchimps is a little pricy, at 290 USD a month - so I was hoping we could find something a little cheaper and something that definently will not be taken for SPAM by various SPAM filters.

Any directions or feedback is very appreciated. I wouldn't ask, IF I knew a solution to this and if it were not for a far to short deadline when it comes to the opening of the case in the court.

Take care and stay safe.

KEP

Ps. If anyone of you who may not know about how to send e-mail to 40,000 recipients, but knows something about when videosurvailence in raw and backed up form is deleted/overwritten to a point where restoring is impossible and when datalogs from forinstance checkin/checkout counters in a bus is deleted/overwritten to a point where restoring is impossible - please let me know either in a PM or here, what you know about data restoring and permanent deletion. The survailence and the checkin/checkout logs is all from january 2016, so most like HDD technology, even though there is no clear indications wether we actually has to restore from HHD or SSD.
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 16:43   #2
mathwiz

Mar 2019

11111112 Posts

If I'm reading www.sendgrid.com/pricing right, it looks like they let you do 40K for around $15 with the "Essential" plan?

Last fiddled with by mathwiz on 2020-10-15 at 16:43
mathwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 17:05   #3
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

7·641 Posts

You're asking how to send spam that doesn't get picked up by spam filters... that's gonna be difficult. If the incident was very recent, apps like Nextdoor might turn up a helpful soul in the area. If it was over a month ago, I think you're out of luck- I've seen some crazy crashes in my time on the roads, but I couldn't tell you any details worthy of testimony 6 months later.

As for how long video is kept, that surely varies by location.
VBCurtis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 17:14   #4
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

11101100002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathwiz View Post
If I'm reading www.sendgrid.com/pricing right, it looks like they let you do 40K for around $15 with the "Essential" plan?
Thanks for your feedback. That was very very interesting and most certainly a much better price compared to mailchimps. Do you have any experience with their service or just happen to find them through google/relations?
Old 2020-10-15, 17:26   #5
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

24×59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
You're asking how to send spam that doesn't get picked up by spam filters... that's gonna be difficult. If the incident was very recent, apps like Nextdoor might turn up a helpful soul in the area. If it was over a month ago, I think you're out of luck- I've seen some crazy crashes in my time on the roads, but I couldn't tell you any details worthy of testimony 6 months later.

As for how long video is kept, that surely varies by location.
The accident was 4 years and 10 month ago. I know, that SPAM filters could potentially see it as SPAM, but there is still legitimate reasons to send out 40,000 e-mails.

Fun thing about memory is that it varies from person to person. I can still remember each detail of the accident that I witnessed from within the bus in 2005, with a near miss of a cyclist. I can even remember his expression when he was done flipping his bike and pulled it, instead of riding it, towards the station. I can even rememember from October 2004 the vietnamese guy that was only inches from being crushed alive by the bus and the way he screamed in terror. The only reason he did not loose his life that day was due to a sidemirror on a parked van. The mirror fell of, but it gave precious time for the vietnamese guy to jump for safety behind the van.

No matter what state the memory of potential witnesses is, I thank you for your feedback, despite Nextdoor being most unlikely to yield a witness, due to the time that has gone from the accident up to now.
Old 2020-10-15, 18:57   #6
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·31·41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
Dear member of this forum.

My sister, who has been in a severe disabling accident in a bus, need to send e-mails out, to 40,000 recipients, in hope that we will find at least1 witness to my sisters accident. We really need this/these witness(es), in order to solve this case fairly and just. Anyone here who knows how to send (without having to risk bankrupcy) e-mail to 40,000 recipients?
Forgive my obtuseness, but I can't understand why (1) this need for witness and "solving the case" has only arisen four years after the fact. Here in the USA there is a thing called a "statute of limitations." It is a time limit beyond which a case cannot be brought.

In criminal cases, it's three years for most felonies, less for misdemeanors. An accident causing injury (and/or leaving the scene of the accident) would probably fall under this limit.

In civil cases (lawsuits) for accidental injuries, it's also generally three years, unless the victim was a minor, in which case the clock doesn't start ticking until they're 18 or 21.

(2) It is not clear to me how you know you need to send emails to that many people, or how you think you know who to send them to.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-10-15 at 19:05 Reason: Clarification
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 19:28   #7
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

3·2,963 Posts

Set up a few dedicated email addresses [Vehicle_accident_date_001, etc.] (such as yahoo, which allows you to add some extra bits to the address that forward to the main address as long as you let it.) Install an email client on your machine with the yahoo SMTP settings. Get your email list prepped. Right the base e-mail. Use a script to send your email to one of the main email addresses and BCC ~25 recipients. Wait 1 minute, send using the next "throw away" address to the next 25. After you have sent using all of the current "throw aways" for 1 main, do the same for the next main. After going through all of the mains, go back through each one. If you set up 10 mains and they each have 5 throw aways, that its 60 addresses.
40000 / 25 per = 1600 total batches
1600 / 60 addresses = 26.67 emails from each address = hours at 1 dispatch per minute.

If you set the interval to 15 seconds, but sending each successive batch associated with a different main, you probably can still get away with it.

Between 25 and 50 is the normal max on yahoo and gmail.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 19:32   #8
mathwiz

Mar 2019

12710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
Thanks for your feedback. That was very very interesting and most certainly a much better price compared to mailchimps. Do you have any experience with their service or just happen to find them through google/relations?
I've used the service for some very small scale Python scripts in the past, basically notifications for myself.

I don't have much experience beyond that, and I can't comment on the legality/morality/etc of what you plan to do...
mathwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 19:49   #9
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

472810 Posts

blat is easy to use in a script such as a batch file.
Handy for emailed notifications such as your GIMPS gpu application has run out of work or terminated for some other reason.
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 20:00   #10
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

24·59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathwiz View Post
I've used the service for some very small scale Python scripts in the past, basically notifications for myself.

I don't have much experience beyond that, and I can't comment on the legality/morality/etc of what you plan to do...
Okay, problem number one is that I don't know how to program, my experience with databases is very limited. Can this service run from the outlook app or does it not work without a database or a script?
Old 2020-10-15, 20:04   #11
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

24·59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Set up a few dedicated email addresses [Vehicle_accident_date_001, etc.] (such as yahoo, which allows you to add some extra bits to the address that forward to the main address as long as you let it.) Install an email client on your machine with the yahoo SMTP settings. Get your email list prepped. Right the base e-mail. Use a script to send your email to one of the main email addresses and BCC ~25 recipients. Wait 1 minute, send using the next "throw away" address to the next 25. After you have sent using all of the current "throw aways" for 1 main, do the same for the next main. After going through all of the mains, go back through each one. If you set up 10 mains and they each have 5 throw aways, that its 60 addresses.
40000 / 25 per = 1600 total batches
1600 / 60 addresses = 26.67 emails from each address = hours at 1 dispatch per minute.

If you set the interval to 15 seconds, but sending each successive batch associated with a different main, you probably can still get away with it.

Between 25 and 50 is the normal max on yahoo and gmail.
Thanks for your feedback, I'll have to sleep on this one and see if I read it the same way in the morning as I read it now. As I read it now, it sure makes sense and it sure seems like a viable solution without having to fool around with scripts or databases. It's been a while since I used Yahoo mail and I had not thought about using Gmail the way you suggest. It sure also seems interesting, but unfortunantly time is getting laid, so I'll look into your suggestion more deeply tomorrow. Take care