Old 2020-08-21, 00:41   #1
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

17·263 Posts
Default Latest version of Microsoft Edge is a GPU parasite

Since my PC upgraded Microsoft Edge to a few months ago as soon as it opens my 2080Ti GPU thru-put drops by almost 20-%.
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-21, 01:45   #2
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×5,059 Posts

Thanks for that info. I had kept Edge out until recently, when Windoze Update dumped it on me. Time for Revo Uninstaller.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-21, 03:17   #3
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

5·112·13 Posts

We noticed on a friend's computer that killing/quitting Edge doesn't delete the process. We had to kill it from the task manager to make it go away "for real".

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-21, 03:32   #4
sdbardwick

Aug 2002
North San Diego County

23×5×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We noticed on a friend's computer that killing/quitting Edge doesn't delete the process. We had to kill it from the task manager to make it go away "for real".

Couple of items in settings to experiment with:
1. Disable running of background apps when closed
2. Disable hardware acceleration

These are present in Edge, Chrome, as well as other Chromium based browsers.
sdbardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-21, 10:30   #5
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

162910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbardwick View Post
Couple of items in settings to experiment with:
1. Disable running of background apps when closed
2. Disable hardware acceleration

These are present in Edge, Chrome, as well as other Chromium based browsers.
And check where and what Edge starts : some pages and add-ons are greedy of resources.

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-22, 18:02   #6
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

44218 Posts

Side question: does anyone know how to make it so that Chrome and Edge don't share the same data?

When I log out of a website on one browser, the same thing happens on the other. This can get annoying at times. Is there a way to disable this synchronization?

Last fiddled with by ixfd64 on 2020-08-22 at 18:13
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-22, 23:23   #7
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×33×109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
Is there a way to disable this synchronization?
Use Palemoon.

Or a much better solution is to uninstall both Chrome and Edge spywares.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-24, 13:18   #8
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2×4,481 Posts

Most of the stuff you see on the web and of the pages you open is/are not "shared" locally, but remotely, on the pages/servers you visit. New algorithms are quite good nowadays in ID-ing you, and they do a very good job identifying the fact that you are "the same person", even if they may not know which person you are (i.e. may not have private data about you) from your browsing patterns, sites you visit, sites you login to (even if they don't know your password, as it is hashed, or HMAC-ed).

For example, I use solely Firefox on desktops and laptops, which were "sync'd" on purpose (i.e. to show the same things and keep the history and settings, themes, etc) as I move from home to office or even from one screen to the other around the house). I am stuck with Firefox because I have "tools" to avoid bothering adds, to mute all new tabs, to open youtube videos at 2x speed, etc., and I learned how to make those in Firefox. This is a lovely browser, and you can customize it and plugin it as you like (and even more, if you trust installing plugins from the web).

However, their last update for Android totally fubars the sound. If you try watching youtube videos high speed (which I do most of the time, it saves a lot of time!) then you have something like a tractor or water pump gurgling in background, which is "terribly pissing you off" (TM)... This happens on all devices, I tried on Samsung, Oppo, and Huawei new models. It didn't use to be like that with the former versions, and it is not like that with current versions of Chrome, Opera, or default Color OS (Oppo) browser. Also, the sound is "clear" at normal speed. It is only when you speed up, that the "gurgling" starts, and for some videos it is really bad. Once you are aware of it, you can't get it out of your head.

So, after draining out all my patience, I completely reformat one phone to factory default, and installed Opera (which works fine, as opposite to Chrome which reports everything you do and most unnerving, it feeds you with one thousand times more advertising on youtube, and opposite to Oppo's browser which is kinda simple and poor in features).

Guess what? With Opera installed in a new phone (i.e. no imports or settings from the former browsers), after a couple of "sight seeing" (i.e. connect to my usual time-wasting places), all pages started looking similar (and resuming from about the same points) like the Firefox on desktop...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-08-24 at 13:24
LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-24, 13:26   #9
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·33·109 Posts

Depends upon your phone. Some phones (hi Apple, and others) will send a unique advertising identifier to the websites you visit. The identifier can't be changed with a reset, it is yours forever. So any website that records that identifier will know you.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-29, 02:31   #10
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

17·263 Posts
Default Disable Hardware accelerators

As such:

As suggested by sdbardwick in post #4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Edge Settings.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	23199  

Last fiddled with by petrw1 on 2020-08-29 at 02:32
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-29, 03:49   #11
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

3×55 Posts
Default Winblows 10 forced update breaks audio...

So, just back from a very nice dinner at a friend's house...

As usual, as the "Geek" in the group, I was asked to look at the computer, because after a forced update to Wincrows 10 v2004 the audio stopped working.

A bit of a serious problem when the person is now working from home, and video conferencing with her partners and staff is, shall we say, rather important...

Reverted back an update, and everything was working again (thank goodness an automatic cleanup of the HD hadn't happened yet, or else this wouldn't have worked). Disabled further updates for the maximum period of time allowed (October 2nd).

Hopefully, Micro$oft will pull their head out of a certain orifice by that time, and the next forced upgrade will actually work...

P.S. People actually pay money for this crap???
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote