Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > News

Old 2019-02-26, 06:44   #34
moebius

Jul 2009
Germany

2×3×5×13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheuk View Post
. I noticed pretty frequently I see messages like “error greater than 0.4xxx, trying again with the previous save file” and then “it seems like the problem went away, moving on.” Maybe that has something to do with FFT size and my current assignments around 83-84 million?

No that probably has nothing to do with the fft size. I had the same error message, but could get rid of it completely by lowering the core clock by 150 MHz and the memory clock by 500 mhz.
moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-27, 03:29   #35
dcheuk

Jan 2019
Pittsburgh, PA

3·7·11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
No that probably has nothing to do with the fft size. I had the same error message, but could get rid of it completely by lowering the core clock by 150 MHz and the memory clock by 500 mhz.
I tried to lower my clockrate using msi afterburner but the error persists. Some exponent gives almost no errors ... quite odd. However I did not lower the memory clock, maybe I should give that a try.

Thanks!
dcheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-03, 04:48   #36
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

63158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
Maybe the manual submission form should tell people about the bug and link them to the newer version, if 2.05.1 is detected?
FYI, James added code to the manual result page that does exactly that.

Good thing to because there have been 6 or 7 this past week.

Like I mentioned, it's at the point where we just ignore any "prime" findings with that version mentioned. Which would be terrible if one was actually Prime.

I think the clue for people would be that their LL test finishes in a very short period of time (depending on when the residue zeroed out I suppose).

Anyway, yeah, when people submit one now, there's a message of some sort that says it's a bug and they should upgrade their client.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-04, 04:13   #37
vsuite

Jan 2010

2×3×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
Maybe the manual submission form should tell people about the bug and link them to the newer version, if 2.05.1 is detected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
FYI, James added code to the manual result page that does exactly that.
Anyway, yeah, when people submit one now, there's a message of some sort that says it's a bug and they should upgrade their client.
I wonder whether it would be better to reject submissions from 2.05.1, and push people to update.
vsuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-04, 04:18   #38
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

581610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsuite View Post
I wonder whether it would be better to reject submissions from 2.05.1, and push people to update.
Not all submissions are bogus. Don't throw away good results just because some other results are bad.

And I dislike the idea of trying to force people to update software. If someone has some version of code validated and verified as safe for use in their systems then it might be impossible for then to update until the ITSEC department can be bothered to examine a new version.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2019-03-04 at 04:19
retina is online now   Reply With Quote