mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2013-08-27, 04:37   #1
kracker

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

27·17 Posts
Default Report: Nvidia Making Dual-GK110 Graphics Card

Probably should have resurrected my old thread... but hell with it.

Report: Nvidia Making Dual-GK110 Graphics Card

Quote:
The GTX Titan Ultra is fairly straightforward. It would feature the same GK110 GPU as the current GTX Titan and GTX 780, except that it would have all the 2880 CUDA cores enabled. For comparison, the GTX Titan has 2688 CUDA cores enabled, and the GTX 780 runs with 2304 CUDA cores enabled.
Eh, never know about these "rumors" though.
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 12:01   #2
Manpowre

"Svein Johansen"
May 2013
Norway

3118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post
Probably should have resurrected my old thread... but hell with it.

Report: Nvidia Making Dual-GK110 Graphics Card

Eh, never know about these "rumors" though.
Im buying 2 of these titan boards, as long as the double precision 1/3 can be turned on.. of not.. well.. gonna be interesting..

offcourse Nvidia want to kill out AMD completely with this kind of dual titan card and 790 card with dual gpu's.
Manpowre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 23:01   #3
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11·157 Posts

Dual Titan is going to be an expensive effing board. AMD has some strong cards too, so don't expect Nvidia to snuff AMD out with a $1,750 video card.
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 02:21   #4
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

19×541 Posts

Being definitively a nVidia guy, but putting my nose into AMD a bit in the last months, my tuppence is that the new Titans are targeting a different kind of market, and they have no chance to "kill out AMD completely" on the market segments where AMD is still strong. For example, one of my perpetuals pains in the back is hashing and cryptocoins mining, where AMD is still 2-3 times faster (5 times faster per dollar invested in average) compared with NV. When some "AMD vs NV" topic comes out in discussions with my friends, they always throw that at me...

OTOH, I would definitively buy one or two dual-titan cards for ~$1k bucks even more per board, if a water plate is available (or already water-cooled from the factory).
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 02:28   #5
kracker

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

27·17 Posts

Also:
Report: AMD's Next-Gen "Hawaii" GPU to Launch in October
Old 2013-08-28, 09:01   #6
Manpowre

"Svein Johansen"
May 2013
Norway

C916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Being definitively a nVidia guy, but putting my nose into AMD a bit in the last months, my tuppence is that the new Titans are targeting a different kind of market, and they have no chance to "kill out AMD completely" on the market segments where AMD is still strong. For example, one of my perpetuals pains in the back is hashing and cryptocoins mining, where AMD is still 2-3 times faster (5 times faster per dollar invested in average) compared with NV. When some "AMD vs NV" topic comes out in discussions with my friends, they always throw that at me...

OTOH, I would definitively buy one or two dual-titan cards for ~$1k bucks even more per board, if a water plate is available (or already water-cooled from the factory).

True, problem with dual board titan, is that one GPU will blow the air straight into the cabinet... The great thing with Titan is that it blows it straight out of cabinet, and that itself sucks fresh air into cabinet all the time, so no need for much cabinet fans.

But it is exciting to see the new Hawai GPU.. how many transistors, OpenCL cores etc..
Old 2013-08-28, 11:10   #7
Manpowre

"Svein Johansen"
May 2013
Norway

3118 Posts

Quote:
I checked up the new Hawaii, and rumour has it 20nm process, and 4096 Cuda cores. That means 7billion transistors. (7980 has 3.5 billion transistors with 2048 cudacores).

TMSC cant do 20nm production until mid 2014, so this is mostly 22nm process, which will take cuda cores down to 3000 something cudacores, and 5.25 billion transistors. That wont compete with GK110, but graphics performance, they can place this close to Nvidia 780 with lower price than 780.

My guess is to place the card just below GTX780, but for a more affordable price.
Old 2013-08-28, 14:51   #8
kracker

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

27×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manpowre View Post
I checked up the new Hawaii, and rumour has it 20nm process, and 4096 Cuda cores. That means 7billion transistors. (7980 has 3.5 billion transistors with 2048 cudacores).

TMSC cant do 20nm production until mid 2014, so this is mostly 22nm process, which will take cuda cores down to 3000 something cudacores, and 5.25 billion transistors. That wont compete with GK110, but graphics performance, they can place this close to Nvidia 780 with lower price than 780.

My guess is to place the card just below GTX780, but for a more affordable price.
(just my opinion, I may be wrong)

Interesting. But firstly, cores and transistors and to a lesser degree, size really doesn't matter. What really matters I think is the architecture they are made, for example, the 7970 has 4.31B, 680 has only 3.54B, yet they are quite close in performance,(except on compute, which the 7970 blows away) What I'm getting at though, is that it isn't a direct way to measure performance, Just the same I'm eagerly waiting for AMD's Hawaii and Nvidia's Maxwell early next year.

P.S.: AMD doesn't have CUDA(cores)
Old 2013-08-29, 11:32   #9
Manpowre

"Svein Johansen"
May 2013
Norway

20110 Posts

Quote:
(just my opinion, I may be wrong)

P.S.: AMD doesn't have CUDA(cores)
Sorry, just used to use cudacores.. compute cores in general lOl.. :)

I agree with you, that the number of transistors doesnt mean lower or higher 3D graphics, its the platform itself and architecture.

7970 blows away on one area, but double precision there are still cards blowing away 7970 from Nvidia then there is price difference... Also Nvidia has a more mature math library than OpenCL and AMD has.

The interesting with new AMD platform for GPU's is that TMSC cant do 20nm process until mid next year. that means a 22nm process of the chip, which will limit number of transistors for them. Again it means rumours are not true with 4096 "compute cores" for openCL, rather 3000 or something until 20nm process can happen. That is why I think for now AMD/ATI will place the new card close to 780 card from Nvidia but cheaper. After all, we are talking about a 1 chip card, so they have to compete with GK110 and its 7b transistors.