Old 2009-10-15, 10:56   #56
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

186916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio1ogics View Post
Anyways, would it be possible to use the old client, but pointing to www.psp-project.de:7100 instead of the old setting in lrr-clientconfig.txt ?
( which is in mine:
server = "pspnet.no-ip.info"
port = 12984
)
Nope, sorry. PRPnet uses a completely different client/server protocol than LLRnet, so I'm afraid they are completely uninterchangeable.

I think the old LLRnet server's still going to be online for a little while, right? If so, then you should be able to still use that if you like, albeit without the new speed boosts (about 6-10%).

BTW, regarding the confusion about what exactly are the new and old version: in the sense that you're referring to them, LLRnet is the old client and PRPnet is the new client. When rogue mentioned version 2.3 not being faster, he was referring to version 2.3 of the new client, PRPnet. There's still some little tweaks being made to PRPnet to make it more stable and more flexible, which is why there's different versions of it floating around.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 13:22   #57
mazadillon

Apr 2007

F16 Posts

I've used TrayIt to hide console windows into the system tray, it can remember profiles for certain programs which can be useful.
mazadillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 10:04   #58
ltd

Apr 2003

22·193 Posts

prpnet is upgraded to version 2.4.
The server is now 2.4.2 and for windows and linux there are new clients available. These have the version 2.4.3.
Download Link:

http://tools.1up.no/psp/prpclient/

You can continue to use the old client but I would recommend to upgrade to the new client as the new client server combination resolves the problem with sometimes lost residues.

To upgrade it should be enough to stop the prpnet client and replace the "prpclient" executable with the new one and restart.

Attention It might be possible that in the linux version the rights might be broken as I only have a windows system available at the moment and sometimes the packer destroys the linux rights structure.

Last fiddled with by opyrt on 2010-03-08 at 09:36
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 10:05   #59
opyrt

Apr 2008
Oslo, Norway

7·31 Posts

Just to keep this thread updated; The PRPNet servers are running version 2.4.7 (and have been for a while).
opyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 12:44   #60
DigiK-oz

Jul 2008

23·3 Posts

Does this PRP client checkpoint at all?

When using ctrl-C to stop prpclient.exe, it shuts down the llr process cleanly. When restarting, it basically goes on where it left off.

However, when stopping prpclient by simply closing its window, or killing the process, or windows shutdown, it appears to restart from scratch (or its last clean shutdown).

Is there any way to prevent wasting hours or even days of runtime if one forgets to shut down the client cleanly, or windows crashes, or....?
DigiK-oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 12:49   #61
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

3·11·191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiK-oz View Post
Does this PRP client checkpoint at all?

When using ctrl-C to stop prpclient.exe, it shuts down the llr process cleanly. When restarting, it basically goes on where it left off.

However, when stopping prpclient by simply closing its window, or killing the process, or windows shutdown, it appears to restart from scratch (or its last clean shutdown).

Is there any way to prevent wasting hours or even days of runtime if one forgets to shut down the client cleanly, or windows crashes, or....?
The client relies on the checkpointing done by LLR/PFGW/phrot/genefer. The client does its own checkpointing by updating the work_xx.save files whenever a test is started or stopped.

Your description of "restart from scratch" seems inaccurate at best. Could you add more description to the behavior you are experiencing?
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 17:29   #62
DigiK-oz

Jul 2008

23·3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
The client relies on the checkpointing done by LLR/PFGW/phrot/genefer. The client does its own checkpointing by updating the work_xx.save files whenever a test is started or stopped.

Your description of "restart from scratch" seems inaccurate at best. Could you add more description to the behavior you are experiencing?
Well, maybe I'm overlooking something, but the restarting from scratch seems to be what I am experiencing.

Start the client(s), wait for an hour or so, check the percent completed (just over a percent in my case) and close all client windows by using the X top right button (so don't use ctrl-c or ctrl-break), or kill the prpclient process(es) using task manager.

Start the client(s) again, and check the messages. In my case, messages indicated a restart from scratch (starting at bit 7, 0.0%)

Windows7 64 bits, most recent client.

If you need more info/messages or whatever, let me know.
Old 2010-04-26, 17:48   #63
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

3·11·191 Posts

Quote:
Well, maybe I'm overlooking something, but the restarting from scratch seems to be what I am experiencing.

Start the client(s), wait for an hour or so, check the percent completed (just over a percent in my case) and close all client windows by using the X top right button (so don't use ctrl-c or ctrl-break), or kill the prpclient process(es) using task manager.

Start the client(s) again, and check the messages. In my case, messages indicated a restart from scratch (starting at bit 7, 0.0%)

Windows7 64 bits, most recent client.

If you need more info/messages or whatever, let me know.
Is there a temp file created by LLR in the client directory before AND after you do this? Which version of LLR are you using?
Old 2010-04-26, 18:27   #64
DigiK-oz

Jul 2008

23×3 Posts

Quote:
Is there a temp file created by LLR in the client directory before AND after you do this? Which version of LLR are you using?
I downloaded prpclient-2.4.7-windows-llr-3.8.0.zip from http://tools.1up.no/psp/prpclient/

Apart from the programs, .ini and .log file, I have work_PSPtest.in, work_PSPtest.out,work_PSPtest.save and z4111005 in the directory during the time the client is active. If I shutdown the client with control-C, the .in and .out files are gone. If I close the window instead, those files are still present after the client was shutdown.

Also, a clean shutdown with ctrl-C comes up with several messages (signal caught - terminating is the first I think), where closing the window does not show this messages in either the window itself or the prpclient.log file.

Last fiddled with by DigiK-oz on 2010-04-26 at 18:32
Old 2010-04-26, 19:35   #65
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

3×11×191 Posts

Quote:
Apart from the programs, .ini and .log file, I have work_PSPtest.in, work_PSPtest.out,work_PSPtest.save and z4111005 in the directory during the time the client is active. If I shutdown the client with control-C, the .in and .out files are gone. If I close the window instead, those files are still present after the client was shutdown.

Also, a clean shutdown with ctrl-C comes up with several messages (signal caught - terminating is the first I think), where closing the window does not show this messages in either the window itself or the prpclient.log file.
How do you start the client? From the DOS prompt or by double-clicking the exe?

Note that the current version of PRPNet is 3.2.4. I strongly recommend that the server be upgraded. AFAIK, this is one of the last projects (if not the last) that has not migrated to 3.2.x. When the server is upgraded, it will require clients to upgrade to 3.2.x. I have not been able to reproduce this problem in 3.2.x with PFGW. How the client uses PFGW and LLR are very similar, so LLR should also work correctly with 3.2.x when closing the DOS window in this way.
Old 2010-04-27, 05:50   #66
DigiK-oz

Jul 2008

23×3 Posts

Quote:
How do you start the client? From the DOS prompt or by double-clicking the exe?

Note that the current version of PRPNet is 3.2.4. I strongly recommend that the server be upgraded. AFAIK, this is one of the last projects (if not the last) that has not migrated to 3.2.x. When the server is upgraded, it will require clients to upgrade to 3.2.x. I have not been able to reproduce this problem in 3.2.x with PFGW. How the client uses PFGW and LLR are very similar, so LLR should also work correctly with 3.2.x when closing the DOS window in this way.
There's a .BAT file supplied in the download that starts 1,2,4 or 8 clients. It basically changes to a directory and executes prpclient.exe using the "START" command. I observe the same behaviour however when starting by double-cliocking prpclient.exe.

Client version 3.2.4? Will see if I can find that and re-test. Does that client work with the 2.4.7 server?

EDIT : Well, I found the 3.2.4 client (alpha version), still seeing the same behaviour :(

Last fiddled with by DigiK-oz on 2010-04-27 at 06:39 Reason: New version tested