mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2005-06-15, 23:44   #1
d4n1el
 

32×7×67 Posts
Default mprime takes a lot cpu usage

HI!
im totally new to this prime hunting =)
but i read that mprime shouldn't take so much cpu, that is it low priorety
But when i run it, it use most cpu, which makes my computer run slower..

i have a athlon 2500+ so i don't think that should be a problem?

is this normal or is something wrong?

[edit]
i want to add a question,
in the worktodo.ini list i found:
Test=28883749,68,0

but what does this mean...
i understand that its a number, but it would be fun to know how it looks like...
do you understand the question?

Last fiddled with by d4n1el on 2005-06-15 at 23:48
  Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-16, 00:59   #2
db597
 
db597's Avatar
 
Jan 2003

3138 Posts
Default

That is perfectly normal. It is true that Prime95 runs at low priority. So it will only use spare CPU cycles, and not interfere with normal programs. However, this doesn't mean that it is not CPU intensive. Prime95 will use every single spare CPU cycle available, until the CPU is 100% utilised.

So for example, if you are running Photoshop, and it is taking 2% of the CPU, this means that the remaining 98% will be spare cycles. This 98% will then be taken by Prime95!

If you start doing some intensive work, and photoshop starts to require say 80% of the CPU, then only 20% will be spare cycles, and Prime95 will get only 20% of the CPU.

The Prime95 only gets "what's left", but it will use up all of the remainder.

As for Test=28883749,68,0 - this means that you are running LL tests on exponent 28883749. The 68 is the number of bits used for trial factoring, and 0 means that the P-1 factoring stage is not yet done. I suggest not editing this file (in case you end up doing work on an exponent that someone else has already been assigned).
db597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-16, 02:21   #3
dsouza123
 
dsouza123's Avatar
 
Sep 2002

2·331 Posts
Default

The number is 2^28883749 - 1 ( 2 to the 28883749 power then minus 1)
In binary it is 28883749 ones.

A small example 2^7 - 1 is 127 or 1111111 in binary.

The slowdown isn't a normal condition.
High CPU usage is normal, about 95+ %.

What program(s) are running slower ?

How much RAM is in the PC ?
Is the harddrive constantly in use ?
(The harddrive light stays on, may even be able to hear it.)
If so virtual memory is being swapped to disk,
it is a result of not enough RAM for all the programs running.

Last fiddled with by dsouza123 on 2005-06-16 at 02:28
dsouza123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long it takes to factoring the 512-bit number? Pepek Msieve 5 2012-09-14 16:32
ECM Takes far longer than estimated time Rhyled PrimeNet 31 2011-02-06 16:46
mprime v25 0 cpu usage bijan Software 2 2008-11-26 05:49
Time it takes to select polynomials for 154 digits John5788 Factoring 23 2008-08-27 07:54
Prime95 takes over machine???!!! kwstone Software 4 2003-08-10 22:46

All times are UTC. The time now is 05:06.

Wed Apr 14 05:06:32 UTC 2021 up 5 days, 23:47, 0 users, load averages: 2.33, 2.36, 2.56

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.