mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > Cloud Computing

Old 2020-04-20, 19:02   #23
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

19×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
My quota has settled into four 19-hour GPU sessions each day. After six hours I can restart them. I have only ever received P100s on the paid tier.
I would love to run 4 GPU sessions but I'm afraid it is too good to be true and won't last and I risk losing my account. 4*19*30/24 = 95 days of P100 per month for $10.
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-20, 20:18   #24
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

2×3×149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
I would love to run 4 GPU sessions but I'm afraid it is too good to be true and won't last and I risk losing my account. 4*19*30/24 = 95 days of P100 per month for $10.
Indeed it is a remarkable bargain. If it becomes seriously restricted, I will just drop my subscription.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-20, 21:44   #25
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,693 Posts

I have noticed that a sign of one's time running out is when the RAM and Disk display gets stuck on Allocating, or something other than the graphic.

That started happening in the last half hour, say 21:15 UTC. I started to try to save them, but I got repeated Save Failed messages. Eventually, a dialog came up saying to save the notebook file and upload it. This is supposed to capture your progress since the last successful save. I have the saves, but currently Colab doesn't even get beyond a white screen with a spinner. System maintenance does seem like a plausible explanation. On the other hand, while a Time Out was not declared, it was in a range of hours when that might have been what tripped me. I'll try the uploads when it settles down (and lets me on again.)
22:10 UTC: The Welcome to Colab page won't load, either.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-04-20 at 22:13
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-21, 01:21   #26
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

100111101011102 Posts

Now I find that the site is reported to be up, but I still can't get there. Maybe I wore out my welcome. Is anyone else getting in?

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-04-21 at 01:22
Old 2020-04-21, 02:40   #27
PhilF

"6800 descendent"
Feb 2005
Colorado

10101010002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Now I find that the site is reported to be up, but I still can't get there. Maybe I wore out my welcome. Is anyone else getting in?
I started 2 CPU-only sessions at 00:00 UTC without problems.

I don't currently use any GPU resources, so I can't comment on their availability.
PhilF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-21, 02:42   #28
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23·17·73 Posts

Quote:
There are about 20 GPU72_TF session running right now. Have you tried rebooting your computer?
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-21, 17:40   #29
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1015810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
There are about 20 GPU72_TF session running right now. Have you tried rebooting your computer?
Eventually, yes. I am running now on a second Google account. After some shuffling to get access to notebooks on my original Drive, I got four up and running (yesterday) and let them run until I was ready to crash (human, not machine!), then stopped them on concern that my other account is failing from overuse. Today, as I was starting up, I got some P100s, but also P4 and K80. After a lot of repeats I had P100s in place of the lower cards, but another problem cropped up. I started getting "too many sessions" warnings when I only had two notebooks running and tried to start a third.

Running 2 at the moment and letting the others 'rest'. I have not tried my original account yet today. Don't know if it has revived.

It now seems that my new Google account was being treated as a freeby. I went back to my original account and got 4 running, all with P100s. I still don't know if the old account can get to Colab on its own. I already had notebooks running when I switched logins. Had to restart them, of course, but everything worked out.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-04-21 at 17:57
Old 2020-04-21, 19:19   #30
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

26C816 Posts

Quote:
Today, as I was starting up, I got some P100s, but also P4 and K80. After a lot of repeats I had P100s in place of the lower cards, but another problem cropped up. I started getting "too many sessions" warnings when I only had two notebooks running and tried to start a third.
OK... As already documented, I'm on the free tier. I've never been able to run more than one instance per account. Not even just a CPU instance to do some software development in. Every running instance is associated with its own Google GMail account (often in different tabs in the same browser context, IP address, browser fingerprints, etc).

Because I'm not on the paid tier, I can't do any drill-down on the GUI and runtime differences. But if you got a P4 (yukky) or a K80 (why waste your time?), it suggests strongly that Colab considered those accounts/instances as unassociated with your paid status. I guess one test would be to see if you have access to high-memory environments.

I must again thank Google for providing this wonderful environment to learn in! We're not just TF'ing. Really! (Seriously and sincerely.)
Old 2020-04-21, 20:26   #31
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23×17×73 Posts
Default VIM in Colab!

I just thought I'd quickly share sometime new I've discovered about Colab: VIM is available for the web-based GUI editor! I think this is relatively new.

Go to the "Tools" menu and select "Settings". In the pop-up select the Editor tab, and under the "Editor key bindings" drop-down you can now choose "vim".

Cool!

vi/vim is my nominal editor at the console(s), so this is wonderful for me. Cursor over to something, press "cw" (change word command for VIM) and away I type! Happy!
Old 2020-04-21, 22:17   #32
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

100111101011102 Posts

Hi Chris,
I am just telling my adventures in this realm. I'm still not sure how Google sees these things (accounts) but right now, my instances were started from the original account, and I have been able to restart them without hangups. It is hard to get real experiments when you are only surmising about the underlying rules. This is all just a chance to screw around with a new toy, and boost my statistics. My tales are mostly along the lines of "THIS did not work for me. YMMV." There are too many unknown-unknown variables, I have not conceived of a way to get a clean experiment.
Old 2020-04-21, 23:47   #33
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

2·1,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
I just thought I'd quickly share sometime new I've discovered about Colab: VIM is available for the web-based GUI editor! I think this is relatively new.

Go to the "Tools" menu and select "Settings". In the pop-up select the Editor tab, and under the "Editor key bindings" drop-down you can now choose "vim".

Cool!

vi/vim is my nominal editor at the console(s), so this is wonderful for me. Cursor over to something, press "cw" (change word command for VIM) and away I type! Happy!
This sounds excellent - I will have to learn how to do it. I've been using your tunnels with vi to make simple edits and looking for an easier way.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote