mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Factoring

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-03-25, 07:28   #12
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

2·61·83 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99010pepe
Should R.D. Silverman be banned? Yes or No.
I think I know the answer.
I could make a good guess too.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 14:26   #13
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

26×113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman
I could make a good guess too.

Paul
Yep.

This group reminds me of the clowns currently occupying the Whitehouse:

When someone says something they don't like, they silence them
by having them arrested. Islam too. Silence the infidel. Kill the Danish
newspaper editors. Silence those who say things we don't like.

This is the response of children. But it is understandable. I've gotten
the feeling for a long time that most of the people in this forum have the
intellectual maturity of children.

And of course you all have a double standard, because they venom that is
tossed my ways gets ignored and condoned. Bob is rude. But it is OK for
everyone else to be rude.


If people here intend to keep 'bragging' about their "accomplishments"
(which is what kicked off this thread) when those "accomplishments"
were trivial, then I intend to keep responding as I have.

Laziness and ignorance seem to be the cultural norm here. And
the group does not like being told the truth. And they want to ban the
person telling them the truth.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 19:55   #14
cheesehead
 
cheesehead's Avatar
 
"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

718810 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman
This group reminds me of the clowns currently occupying the Whitehouse:

When someone says something they don't like, they silence them by having them arrested. Islam too. Silence the infidel. Kill the Danish newspaper editors. Silence those who say things we don't like.
Be restrained in making such unequal comparisons of minor aggravations to serious transgressions, lest when really horrible crimes occur you have no words left to properly convey their magnitude.

Quote:
This is the response of children. But it is understandable. I've gotten the feeling for a long time that most of the people in this forum have the intellectual maturity of children.
You get satisfaction from posing as the parent among children, in what are really adult-to-adult discussions, don't you? Ever read Games People Play or other transactional analysis explanations? Perhaps you enjoy "crossing transactions" (if I recall the terminology correctly).

Quote:
And of course you all have a double standard, because they venom that is tossed my ways gets ignored and condoned. Bob is rude. But it is OK for everyone else to be rude.
I think you ought to choose between using the "double standard" ploy and using the "me-against-everyone-else" ploy. They're not really compatible (if it's you against everyone else, then only a single standard need be in operation), and mixing them together just looks silly.

Quote:
If people here intend to keep 'bragging' about their "accomplishments" (which is what kicked off this thread) when those "accomplishments" were trivial, then I intend to keep responding as I have.
Why?

What value do you see in such responses?

Quote:
Laziness and ignorance seem to be the cultural norm here.
Well, you exhibit both in some of your postings, so I guess you do think so.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2006-03-25 at 19:58
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 04:50   #15
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

3×7×367 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99010pepe
...I don't know what a hell is the administrator doing...












To be very honest, I have learned a great deal from Mr. Silverman. I don't exactly agree with his delivery sometimes, but the good far outweighs the bad. The joke around our house, when I wake up in a sour mood and/or forget to take my medicine, is that I am having a "Bob" day. My wife and son don't know who "Bob" is, but on "Bob" days, you better watch your damn step! (If only I could be cranky and be a math whiz! Sigh.)


Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 10:12   #16
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2×1,723 Posts
Default

http://www.subgenius.com/

I don't know whether smoking a pipe might help you
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 10:32   #17
Jwb52z
 
Jwb52z's Avatar
 
Sep 2002

769 Posts
Default

Dr. Silverman, all I wish, and probably most of the rest of us too, is that you would just be NICE and stop downing everything to people who don't want to hear it! I mean, you surely know how to just stop saying things when people don't want you to open your mouth. It's nothing to do with "instant gratification". It's that you frankly take all the enjoyment a great many of us have out of this board because you can't bring yourself to hold your tongue or go where your comments would be welcomed or where you wouldn't have to make such comments. Instead, you keep on insulting people and holding them to a standard that you do not have any business doing, actually. We are not your students, your family, or anyone else in relation to you. Your contempt is unsolicited. We didn't ask you what you think and if you're going to be negative, please think before you go on again about how stupid we all are or use "instant gratification" again. You're like a broken record who can't just turn off or a radio stuck on the same station. You've made your point dozens of times. Even a mule can learn to change tactics. Just because we are all adults does not mean we should have to take the treatment you give us in the name of being grown up. You treat people very badly. You should be ashamed, but I know you won't be, ever.
Jwb52z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 14:02   #18
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

11100010000002 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=Jwb52z] We are not your students, your family, or anyone else in relation to you. Your contempt is unsolicited. We didn't ask you what you think QUOTE]


And the nonsense that most of this group posts is unsolicited. I didn't ask
*you* if you found some trivial result. I didn't ask *you* to post things
that would be obvious if only you weren't too lazy to learn some of the
math. I didn't ask you to brag about some trivial computational result.

The communication works both ways. But you fail to acknowledge that.
It is your right to post trivialities. It is my right to trivialize them.

I didn't ask you what you think. Because for the most part, you DON'T
think. The entire "compute before thinking" culture of most of the
participants here is WRONG. Computing is meaningless without at least
some mathematical insight.

This forum is supposed to be for discussion of the mathematics behind,
and the implementation of, software related to Mersenne primes and other
computational number theory projects. You may think that my
criticisms ruin it for you. But the nonsense that gets posted ruins it for me.
It works both ways. You have the same option I have: stop participating.
I choose to keep participating, but to accept the nonsense and reply
with what I see as appropriate criticism. You can choose to see my
criticism as inappropriate and either respond or not respond.

IMO, most of you should not be allowed to participate because you don't
have the qualifications. But I'm not trying to silence you. I only respond
to people who hype trivialities and nonsense or post mathematical gibberish.
If you don't like it, I suggest that either *you* stop, or else you acquire some academic discipline. Or acquire a thicker skin. Or acquire some
competence in the subjects discussed herein.


*I* would like to see a mandatory entrance exam for this forum,
becaue IMO most of you have neither the intellectual maturity nor the
background to engage in technical discussion about a subject that most of
you *admit* you can't be bothered to study.

However, the call to have me banned because of my criticisms PROVES
what I have been saying: I am dealing with people who are intellectually
immature. Only children say "shut up" when they hear criticism they don't
like. Mature adults do not.

I am on a crusade against what I see as an anti-intellectual attitude that
pervades the U.S. I see most of the posters here typifying that attitude.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 03:40   #19
Jwb52z
 
Jwb52z's Avatar
 
Sep 2002

769 Posts
Default

Dr. Silverman, you still don't get it. You are rude and obnoxious and should learn to be nice. Didn't you ever learn that you shouldn't speak if all you can do is be mean? You're old enough to have been taught that by now, but oh well. I am not calling for your banning because I don't want to hear it. I am calling for it because you are RUDE! I don't think we should have to put up with you. You are elitist and hateful. You already know you don't fit in here by your own words. Staying is being stubborn. You are being stubborn for staying where you are not appreciated by everyone. Your comments about "entrance exams" only show just how you are now. You think knowledge or interest is somehow a litmus test of worthiness. I may not be a math genius, but I still like reading about it, even if I don't study it to memorize it. What I don't like are peole who constantly complain and gripe about how everyone is not up to their standard and basically you think we are all plebes and we all should be like you. That's called conceit. Oh, one more thing, this forum is not simply about mathematical theory and implementation in programming. This forum is a distributed computing forum. That means it is a discussion place for anyone who wants to help with a distributed computing project, even we idiots who are not math experts who only run programs to help the project. The kind of place you think this is is really more what a Mathematics Newsgroup would be intended to be used for now. I would honestly have no problem with your opinions IF you were simply polite and didn't keep harping on about it. BTW, don't come back at me about me harping against you if that thought came to mind. You continue to ignore the fact that you are being rude and that too is childish.

Last fiddled with by Jwb52z on 2006-03-27 at 03:50
Jwb52z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 07:07   #20
garo
 
garo's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

2·5·251 Posts
Default

This is the Factoring forum so please keep your posts on topic. The way this thread is going it is just going to degenerate further and result in people getting pissed off and leaving the forum or posting things they shouldn't and get banned.

Being a believer in Voltaire's dictum I am in two minds about locking this thread but at the same time I think that like in the Danish cartoons case, that dictum applies only when there is something worth being said at stake.

Any complaints etc. may be directed to the feedback forum.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 17:44   #21
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

2×59×83 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwb52z
Didn't you ever learn that you shouldn't speak if all you can do is be mean?
You forgot the flip side: "You shouldn't speak if you have nothing to say."

It appears that you believe in the former more than the latter, whereas Bob is of the opposite mind-set. I believe both dictums are generally worth adhering to, but tend to side with Bob in believing that rampant ignorance and intellectual laziness (note that I'm speaking generally here, not singling out any specific posts or posters) are far greater ills than hurt feelings. Self-esteem is nothing (or in fact downright corrosive) if it is not founded on genuine (i.e. nontrivial) achievements. Should everyone be held to identical standards of achievement? Of course not. But giving everyone an "A+/Top Marks!/Fantastic!" just for showing up isn't the solution, either. Sadly, the old aphorism "'tis better to have tried and failed..." has apparently fallen into widespread disuse in much of the modern world.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 18:49   #22
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

2·59·83 Posts
Default

Allow me to illustrate what I think is happening in this thread by way of a true story (which if it hadn't actually happened would sound more like a parable):

When I was in junior high school, every year I was one of the many students who submitted a project to the school Science Fair. Most of the students worked very hard on these projects and some of them were really quite remarkable in their quality and sophistication. But there was this one girl who, every year, regular as clockwork, submitted her soap collection by way of a project. Now it was really a very nice soap collection, there were dozens of lovely little decorative soaps in all the colors of the rainbow (some even multihued), a variety of fascinating shapes - sea shells, automobiles, famous people, you name it - and the most wonderful scents. Now she'd obviously taken quite a bit of care in selecting the best little soaps for her collection, but it wasn't science, and it was (so far as I could tell) the very same soap collection, year after year. (This was an honors student, by the way - not someone from special ed.) There wasn't even an attempt to make it look scientific, say, by way of a pamphlet on the history and science of soapmaking - nope, just a bunch of lovely little soaps sitting there in their protective display case.

Now, apparently the good folks doing the judging for the Science Fairs didn't want to hurt this girl's feelings, so none of them ever ventured to say anything as hurtful as, say, "This isn't admissible - it's not a science project, it's a bloody soap collection." No, these folks were much too polite for any such uncouthness. What's more, because the girl had obviously worked hard to put together her soap collection, the judges didn't want her to go home empty-handed, so every year, regular as clockwork, they awarded her a third-place ribbon. They couldn't justify giving her first or secnd place, since after all, it wasn't an actual science project she'd submitted, so third place seemed a nice compromise. After all, what could be the harm in that?

Well, here is the harm: Every year, some other kid who had worked at least as hard as Soap Girl, but on an actual science project, and who might have deserved that third-place ribbon, instead went home empty-handed. And every year, instead of actually attempting to do a science project, the girl instead brought that damn soap collection. I'll bet she still has it. I wonder if she kept the third-place ribbons as well?

So what I think is happening in this thread is: based on the thread title, Bob came in here expecting science, and instead found soap. Now Bob being who he is, was not about to award a ribbon for that. Yes, he might have been a bit more polite about it, but on the other hand there's still a third-place ribbon up for grabs at this year's Highland Junior High School science fair.

-------

Non-conflict-of-interest statement: In case you were wondering, I never saw myself as the kid who lost out on the 3rd-place ribbon because of Soap Girl and her insidious collection. The one year I didn't place in the Science Fair was the year I had prepared a project on soil erosion, which consisted of a miniature landscape in a box with sandy soil, miniature trees and shrubs and a source of "floodwater". The night before the day of the Science Fair, this big battle-scarred old orange Tomcat we had at the time discovered my erosion project and used it as a litter box. I decided that although the result might surely embody some kind of scientific principle at work in the larger world, it wasn't the one I'd originally intended, and as there was no time to change my project write-up accordingly, decided not to submit it. In all honesty, the smell was pretty bad, too.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Factor a 108-digit number sweety439 Factoring 9 2016-12-21 21:22
mersenne prime as a factor of another number kurtulmehtap Math 21 2010-11-08 18:21
Time needed to factor a 150 digit number ladderbook Factoring 14 2008-11-27 13:02
How do I prove a 4000 digit number is prime?? VJS Lounge 4 2005-05-09 20:56
The first (non-merseinne) 10 million-digit prime number!!! ron29730 Miscellaneous Math 17 2004-05-15 20:23

All times are UTC. The time now is 14:31.

Wed Oct 28 14:31:26 UTC 2020 up 48 days, 11:42, 4 users, load averages: 2.12, 2.10, 2.05

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.