mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2013-01-15, 23:36   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts
Default Photoshop color map

Sorry if I used the wrong term, I've never used Photoshop.

I'm wondering, if anyone has Photoshop, would it be overly difficult for them to supply me with a bitmap file(a large file with the colors mapped out in a very spread out fashion so I can see each individual one) only consisting of the primary colors?

I don't have a file just yet, but I'm thinking of making a small pushpin art thing of one of Runescape's bank graphic items. So the result would probably be about as big as a normal sheet of paper, but you'd have to stand about 20-30 feet away to view it properly.

Don't worry about copyright violations, I'm not going to try to sell it. If I make it I'm sending it straight to Jagex, and maybe Deviant Art.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 01:20   #2
c10ck3r

Aug 2010
Kansas

547 Posts

What item are you thinking about doing? I might be able to get you the file...
c10ck3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 01:59   #3
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

264216 Posts

fwiw, here is a simple palette.html file I hacked for html - you may be able to adapt it for your photoshop stuff. It's in the form of 16 2-D bitmaps, each of which loops through the 16 values of the leading nibble of the B and G bytes in a 3-byte RBG field. Between each 16x16 2-D square we advance the leading nibble of the R byte by 1, hence the reddening as you scroll downward.

You can edit the source file in your favorite editor and render the html in your browser:
Attached Files
File Type: zip palette.html.zip (10.9 KB, 72 views)
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 03:40   #4
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
fwiw, here is a simple palette.html file I hacked for html - you may be able to adapt it for your photoshop stuff. It's in the form of 16 2-D bitmaps, each of which loops through the 16 values of the leading nibble of the B and G bytes in a 3-byte RBG field. Between each 16x16 2-D square we advance the leading nibble of the R byte by 1, hence the reddening as you scroll downward.

You can edit the source file in your favorite editor and render the html in your browser:
Not quite what I was looking for, though that is cool.

Google brusspup the youtube channel and pushpin art. He uses a color map which is a printed sheet of paper(there are a bunch of them) that maps the color of the picture into RGB. He may have used a special program, one of those programs that's so specific in its usage that you only use it once or twice after downloading it. I think I'd better go back and look now that I've thought about it.
Old 2013-01-16, 04:24   #5
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

97·103 Posts

Having watched the video I now see what you are getting at. In broad terms, you want to create a color halftone image of some sort. Each pin is a dot in a halftone screen, such as we see in color images in books or newspapers. The palette I see in the video seems to be blue, green, yellow, red, black, and white, though I may have missed a color in the fast-time motion.

With this interest, you might want to look at the whole area of halftones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halftone

If you want to get into color theory as it relates to halftone images try searching on "CMYK". This represents "cyan-magenta-yellow-black", which is the usual color scheme for doing color lithography, i.e. ink-on-paper color images. EDIT: Once I wrote it I had to look, so here's the link" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cmyk

Just for balance, here is the alternate color universe of RGB. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rgb

I could probably create a color chart for you. I'm just trying to see what it is you want it to do for you

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2013-01-16 at 04:37
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 01:22   #6
Jayder

Dec 2012

1000101102 Posts

There are some tutorials out there that I found pretty easily. This one uses Photoshop.

I just tried it with the original photo brussup used and it worked marvelously.

Don't have Photoshop? CS2 was made free just last week, and you can get it here. This is the same version I used. Everything is exactly as he shows it in the video.

Hope I'm on the right track here.

EDIT: I should add that, should you choose to use a bank image, it will not look good at all. Images have to be moderately large, and a bank icon is not large enough. It will just look fragmented and at best discoloured.

Last fiddled with by Jayder on 2013-01-17 at 01:54
Jayder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 01:41   #7
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

160358 Posts

Or use GIMP or Inkscape.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 04:13   #8
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

350510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayder View Post
I should add that, should you choose to use a bank image, it will not look good at all. Images have to be moderately large, and a bank icon is not large enough. It will just look fragmented and at best discoloured.
That would depend on how far away the person is. Although I guess it would have to be a pretty big room to make it as small, relatively, as I see it on the screen.
Old 2013-01-21, 21:17   #9
Jayder

Dec 2012

2×139 Posts

I know that distance affects how it looks, but I was thinking about the rendering process wrong. It will work if you blow up the image first. Which you may have already figured, but I just realised.

Blow up a 30x30 inventory icon to 120x120 (making for just under 14.4k pushpins, if you care) such that each pixel is now 4x4. You can then break up the larger blocks.

Here's a comparison of the original blown up, an enlarging-then-colour adjustment, and a colour adjustment-then-enlarging. Colours used were blue, red, green, yellow, and black and white.

http://i.imgur.com/3jlIBhH.png

I was previously thinking of just the third image. No matter how far away you stand from it, it will look terrible.

I'm probably not helping in the least but you've got me interested in this. I'd like to see how this turns out. I may try my own pushpin portrait one day.
Old 2013-01-22, 22:26   #10
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayder View Post
I know that distance affects how it looks, but I was thinking about the rendering process wrong. It will work if you blow up the image first. Which you may have already figured, but I just realised.

Blow up a 30x30 inventory icon to 120x120 (making for just under 14.4k pushpins, if you care) such that each pixel is now 4x4. You can then break up the larger blocks.

Here's a comparison of the original blown up, an enlarging-then-colour adjustment, and a colour adjustment-then-enlarging. Colours used were blue, red, green, yellow, and black and white.

http://i.imgur.com/3jlIBhH.png

I was previously thinking of just the third image. No matter how far away you stand from it, it will look terrible.

I'm probably not helping in the least but you've got me interested in this. I'd like to see how this turns out. I may try my own pushpin portrait one day.
Could you post the blown up version of the middle picture, please?
Old 2013-01-22, 23:44   #11
Jayder

Dec 2012

4268 Posts

http://i.imgur.com/3AJe9d0.png

I hope that's large enough. If you need it larger you can easily do it in Paint, if you are so inclined.

I wouldn't say this is the best item to use. It is only really using two colours, and neither are making a new colour (unless you count the greyish banding). This is a bluer green than the one you may use, but I tried it with a yellower green and it wasn't an improvement.