mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2008-11-27, 18:26   #1
em99010pepe

Sep 2004

2×5×283 Posts
Default C443 issue

To all,

Just got a phone call from my ISP provider and my connection will go down within a few hours. I advise people or to increase their cache or to move to another llrnet server.

Thanks.

Carlos
em99010pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 18:36   #2
em99010pepe

Sep 2004

54168 Posts

They will upgrade the speed from 16 Mbps to 24 Mbps but I don't understand why they will put down the connection when in the past the other upgrades were made without disconnecting the line.
em99010pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 18:58   #3
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99010pepe View Post
They will upgrade the speed from 16 Mbps to 24 Mbps but I don't understand why they will put down the connection when in the past the other upgrades were made without disconnecting the line.
Man, I wish we'd get 24 Mbps DSL over in America--heck, even 16 Mbps would be an improvement. I can't get cable where I live, so DSL's my only option--and it's about 3 Mbps.

A while back my ISP sent out an email that said something about plans to upgrade our line to 10Mbps (or somewhere in that vicinity), but no such plans have ever materialized. I'm wondering if maybe they upgraded all the city folks, but never got around to upgrading people like me who live out in the country. I know that they said the DSL switch boxes that service my road need to be upgraded--that's why my connection drops out frequently, because practically everyone on my road uses DSL and the boxes can't quite handle the load. Maybe when they finally get around to upgrading the boxes, we'll get the promised 10Mbps speed. But then again, they've procrastinated so long on upgrading the boxes that I wonder if even that will ever get done within the next 3 years...
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 19:32   #4
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

22·1,433 Posts

i am also rather unlucky with my internet i only get 5Mbips as my house is in the furthest 20% from an exchange
at least we got the setting fiddled around with before everyone else to increase it from 4 to 5Mbips
my dad is working on getting that done automatically for all talktalk users
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 08:55   #5
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

1011610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
i am also rather unlucky with my internet i only get 5Mbips as my house is in the furthest 20% from an exchange
at least we got the setting fiddled around with before everyone else to increase it from 4 to 5Mbips
my dad is working on getting that done automatically for all talktalk users
I can get only 512/256k ADSL.

Even though I live in one of the most geek-infested parts of the UK I live too far from the exchange and don't have a cable connection.

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 09:31   #6
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

10110011001002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post

Even though I live in one of the most geek-infested parts of the UK I live too far from the exchange and don't have a cable connection.

Paul
what supplier do u use
do you know whether it is ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+ or any other variation
Old 2008-11-28, 16:35   #7
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts

Quote:

Paul
Ouch!

I live no more than a mile away from my road's box...oh, wait, or does that have nothing to do with it? Does it only depend on how far away I am from the *exchange* itself? In that case, I'd be more than a little farther away from it...

Update: ah-ha! I just checked my ISP's website--that is, the website they offer to new customers--and they advertise my connection as "up to 10 Mbps". Note the "up to".
Old 2008-11-28, 17:11   #8
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

22×32×281 Posts

Quote:
what supplier do u use
do you know whether it is ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+ or any other variation
BT and vanilla ADSL. ADSL2 is't on the cards for some time.

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 17:43   #9
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

22×1,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
Ouch!

I live no more than a mile away from my road's box...oh, wait, or does that have nothing to do with it? Does it only depend on how far away I am from the *exchange* itself? In that case, I'd be more than a little farther away from it...

Update: ah-ha! I just checked my ISP's website--that is, the website they offer to new customers--and they advertise my connection as "up to 10 Mbps". Note the "up to".
the distance to the exchange is what the people designing talktalk talk about most in England
although i would imagine that being a mile from your road side box would be a hinderance as well
i think our road side boxes are a lot closer together in England unless you are unusually far for America
they were thinking(and i think still are) about putting fiberoptic cable to most road side boxes in England recently
that would increase speeds quite a bit but would cost an awful lot to do

i think i am about 2km away from my exchange and that puts me in the bottom 20% of speeds

ps i get a running commentry of progress from my dad who works for talktalk
Old 2008-11-28, 17:51   #10
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

22·1,433 Posts

Quote:
ADSL2 is't on the cards for some time.
you must be in a pretty deserted corner of the UK if you cant get ADSL2
who did you get that information from?
was it just one supplier that wasnt doing your area?
Old 2008-11-28, 18:14   #11
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

624110 Posts

Quote:
the distance to the exchange is what the people designing talktalk talk about most in England
although i would imagine that being a mile from your road side box would be a hinderance as well
i think our road side boxes are a lot closer together in England unless you are unusually far for America
they were thinking(and i think still are) about putting fiberoptic cable to most road side boxes in England recently
that would increase speeds quite a bit but would cost an awful lot to do

i think i am about 2km away from my exchange and that puts me in the bottom 20% of speeds

ps i get a running commentry of progress from my dad who works for talktalk
Hmm...I see. And I thought being a mile away from my road's box was pretty close! I live in a rural area, so thus the boxes are much farther apart than they would be in a more populous region.

Man, I hate to think of how slow the connection must be for the people at the other end of my road! (The two boxes are both at my end since it's a dead-end.)