mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2012-12-30, 11:37   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

1101101100012 Posts
Default Unbounded maps

Does anyone know of any gaming maps that loop back on themselves? The map of the world loops back on itself because if you travel enough in one direction you can return to where you were. I suspect that a gaming map that does this would be of an unbounded 2-dimensional plain, though you guys can feel free to surprise me.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 16:12   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·61·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Does anyone know of any gaming maps that loop back on themselves? The map of the world loops back on itself because if you travel enough in one direction you can return to where you were. I suspect that a gaming map that does this would be of an unbounded 2-dimensional plain, though you guys can feel free to surprise me.
There are many such, some of which have rather unusual topology.

A game I've played in the past is a variant of Diplomacy which was topologically a cylinder. Diplomacy itself is played on a map of (principally) Europe and the edges of the board are inviolate. The variant I played (and I'm desperately trying to remember its name) used a map of the world in which the Arctic and Antarctic were impassable.

If I remember correctly, PacMan is also played on a cylindrical map. Wumpus is played on a icosahedron (or was it dodecahedron? It's 30 years since I last played it) and so had spherical topology.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 16:52   #3
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

CC016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
A game I've played in the past is a variant of Diplomacy which was topologically a cylinder. Diplomacy itself is played on a map of (principally) Europe and the edges of the board are inviolate. The variant I played (and I'm desperately trying to remember its name) used a map of the world in which the Arctic and Antarctic were impassable.
Was this Risk, by any chance? I remember this from growing up in Britain in the 1970s.
The wikipedia article pictures a slightly different game from the one I remember though. I guess this is the American version.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 16:53   #4
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts

Quote:
If I remember correctly, PacMan is also played on a cylindrical map.
lol, that's true, never really thought about it that way.

What got me thinking about this is the desire for the Runescape map to be an unbound plane. (and, yes, I'm being inconsistent with my spelling of plane. I mean the math term, so my first spelling is wrong.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 17:19   #5
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

100111100011102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
Was this Risk, by any chance? I remember this from growing up in Britain in the 1970s.
The wikipedia article pictures a slightly different game from the one I remember though. I guess this is the American version.
Nope.

Risk is, IMAO, a rather childish game with rather poor opportunities for strategic play and is too dependent on brute force and dice rolling. YMMV.

Diplomacy, OTOH, is a game of pure skill.. It is also one of the most evil games yet designed, again IMAO. If you want to indulge, head over to http://www.playdiplomacy.com and sign up for a newbie game. Beware: it may turn out to be seriously addictive but what other games can you play against fellow sociopaths?

I've been playing Diplomacy for 30 years or so, originally by snail mail and face-to-face; more recently by email and on the web.
Old 2012-12-30, 18:22   #6
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

26·3·17 Posts

Actually I never played Risk: I only (frequently) saw the game being played by others at friends' houses, and no doubt if I had learned how to play it I would have realised it was too trivial to interest you.

Your comments about Diplomacy have intrigued me, and I've just skimmed through the Wikipedia article on the game. It's clearly a most unusual type of game, one which uses skills which are usually more associated with general life rather than formal games. I'm intrigued enough to investigate further and may try it online as you suggest. Thanks!
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 18:44   #7
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×61×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
Actually I never played Risk: I only (frequently) saw the game being played by others at friends' houses, and no doubt if I had learned how to play it I would have realised it was too trivial to interest you.

Your comments about Diplomacy have intrigued me, and I've just skimmed through the Wikipedia article on the game. It's clearly a most unusual type of game, one which uses skills which are usually more associated with general life rather than formal games. I'm intrigued enough to investigate further and may try it online as you suggest. Thanks!
Oh don't get me wrong. Risk is a fine game in context and I've had many enjoyable sessions playing it.

It's just not in the same league as Diplomacy, despite a few superficial similarities.

You should join up at http://www.playdiplomacy.com and see how you get on. I've yet to win a single game there

As I said, there are areas set aside for newbies where an old fart hand guides the players through the mechanics of the game. I'd be happy to fulfil that role.
Old 2012-12-30, 21:20   #8
Siemelink

Jan 2006
Hungary

22×67 Posts

Quote:
Titan. The map is build of hexagons, with the outer ring forcing you to travel clockwise and the inside goes counter clockwise.
A board game from the 70s, published by Avalon Hill. You can find it on Sourceforge as Colossus. It used to have championships on various gaming Cons.

This game delayed my studies by a year!

Willem.
Siemelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 21:26   #9
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

1E1B16 Posts

http://www.chaos.org.uk/~eddy/craft/weblife.html

Scroll down to "Topologies".
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 07:47   #10
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×61×83 Posts

Quote:
lol, that's true, never really thought about it that way.

What got me thinking about this is the desire for the Runescape map to be an unbound plane. (and, yes, I'm being inconsistent with my spelling of plane. I mean the math term, so my first spelling is wrong.
The classic arcade game asteroids is played on a torus.
Old 2012-12-31, 08:01   #11
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

25×149 Posts

Quote:
The classic arcade game asteroids is played on a torus.
Also Wa-Tor and Life...

Luigi
ET_ is online now   Reply With Quote