Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Conjectures 'R Us

Old 2011-09-02, 17:37   #56
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

27F316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
As Mini-Geek hinted a couple posts up, we now have our first proof of the drive--and guess who found it?

38*200^131900-1 is prime!

Kind of nice aesthetically with all the 00's in the number...
Wow. Nice proof! That's faster than I would have expected us to prove one.
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 05:23   #57
Mathew

Nov 2009

2·173 Posts

576*172132695-1 is prime
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 07:18   #58
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

3×7×487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew View Post
Nice.

On an interesting note, the Riesel side primes are far outpacing the Sierp side primes so far on this drive despite the Sierp side starting with far more k's; 63 to 51.

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2011-09-03 at 07:21
Old 2011-09-23, 05:50   #59
paleseptember

Jun 2008
Wollongong, .au

2678 Posts

Using prpclient-4.3.5 for Drive #2. I'm wondering if there is a way to maintain a buffer and report each work-unit as it is completed.

My internet can be a bit flaky, and it'd be nice if I could return workunits as soon as they're done, but have a twelve-hour buffer just in case my internet goes out.

Is there some combination of options in the .ini file that can achieve this?

Last fiddled with by paleseptember on 2011-09-23 at 05:59
paleseptember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 11:06   #60
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleseptember View Post
Using prpclient-4.3.5 for Drive #2. I'm wondering if there is a way to maintain a buffer and report each work-unit as it is completed.

My internet can be a bit flaky, and it'd be nice if I could return workunits as soon as they're done, but have a twelve-hour buffer just in case my internet goes out.

Ah, yes...I do sympathize with your problem, having formerly had similar problems with my own DSL line where it cut out every 61 minutes like clockwork. The PRPnet client does not, unfortunately, have this kind of option right now; it always runs an entire batch before reporting it unless you stop the client in the middle (in which case it can report partial results if you have so set up prpclient.ini) In fact, the "new" LLRnet client has a similar limitation; the reason being that, as far as I know, the only way to use a "buffer" model is to involve multithreading on the client side. That's what the "old" LLRnet client did, but the disadvantage was that it could be flaky at times and tended to "hang" (particularly on Windows platforms) when the connection was lost in the middle of a server communication, presumably due to synchronization between threads being messed up.

You may want to suggest the feature over in Mark's PRPnet 4.x announcements/feature-requests/bug-reports thread; he would be able to give a better answer than I as to how tough it would be to implement. If it is to be pursued, I would think it might be better to (at least in the short term) fork off a second version of the client so as to leave a solid, stable single-threaded client while myriad bugs are worked out of the necessarily multi-threaded "buffered" version.

In early versions of PRPnet, the idea of buffering workunits was addressed by the ability to run a "slave" server, much like an LLRnet proxy, which would keep a constant buffer of work from the main server and dole it out to clients on the local network. This feature was initially retained from ECMNet, which contributed heavily to PRPnet's initial code; but it was dropped in later PRPnet versions since it would have needed heavy rewriting to work well for PRPnet, and nobody was using it anyway (being that it didn't work ).

Anyway...in the meantime, all I can suggest is that you keep a large queue of workunits in your clients, to reduce the number of times they have to connect to the server (and consequently, the probability that they'll attempt to connect during a time when the internet is out). For instance, if each test takes a maximum of (say) 3500 seconds to complete--factoring in a little extra wiggle room--each core should be able to safely do 40-45 or so workunits within the 48 hour limit. Depending on how long your internet usually goes out for (just a few minutes? or hours?) you may want to give a little more space to allow extra time in case the internet does happen to be out when the tests are up to be returned, so you don't risk having them expired while your internet is out.

It's not a perfect solution, but does help some at least.

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2011-09-23 at 11:20
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 12:25   #61
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

174116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleseptember View Post

Not today. I've thought about it, but not enough to implement. It isn't high on my priority list.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 11:56   #62
paleseptember

Jun 2008
Wollongong, .au

B716 Posts

Thanks mdettweiler, thanks rogue. Will continue on crunching as best I can.

Have queued up a much larger buffer. Am slightly embarrassed by how much of the 'assigned work' table I'm taking up.
paleseptember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 20:10   #63
Siemelink

Jan 2006
Hungary

22·67 Posts

Hello friends,

I've managed to start a PRP-client succesfully. I noticed one thing that makes it harder for me run it: the CMD-screens.
I run this on the family PC and all the rest of my family may just kill off the sessions from the taskbar. What's an easy trick to hide the prpclients?

Thanks, Willem.
Siemelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 20:15   #64
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17·251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siemelink View Post
Hello friends,

I've managed to start a PRP-client succesfully. I noticed one thing that makes it harder for me run it: the CMD-screens.
I run this on the family PC and all the rest of my family may just kill off the sessions from the taskbar. What's an easy trick to hide the prpclients?

Thanks, Willem.
I use PSP Runner. It was made for the PSP project, but works just as well with anything that uses PRPnet (except that for bases besides 2, it doesn't update the status correctly; this is visual only). It's used to run the prpnet clients for you.
Another more general option is Hide-it. It can hide any window. It's a handy utility for math projects, where many tools can only run in a command window.

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2011-09-25 at 20:19
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 20:45   #65
Siemelink

Jan 2006
Hungary

1000011002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
Another more general option is Hide-it. It can hide any window. It's a handy utility for math projects, where many tools can only run in a command window.
Thank you Mini-Geek. Hide-it did the trick.

Good night, Willem.
Siemelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 17:35   #66
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

3×7×487 Posts

Adding S148 with 1k remaining at n=150K to the drive. I will begin sieving on it in 2-3 days.