mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Science & Technology

Old 2018-07-10, 13:15   #1
firejuggler

"Vincent"
Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

2×32×149 Posts
Default "Born too late for earth exploration, Born too early for space exploration"

This phrase , for me is full of BS. For the second part I mean. Too early? Are you kidding me?
We are in the middle of it. Let me expand on that.
In the last 50 years, less than a lifetime, we got to from our little speck of dust (in a sunbeam) :

- To the moon and back, with samples! space rocks!
- Weather prediction : Nice to know when and where the storm will hit, right?
- Satellite communication and phone . Almost anywhere in the world, you can communicate with anyone in the world.

- Photo, image, solar storm warning. Hubble image. Do i need to say more?
- More recently, we visited Pluto, Ceres, Vesta, and some other asteroids. ( hayabusa , rosetta and many more)
- we found new land. new unexplored land. exoplanets! yes! planet orbiting other stars! And we have image of them!

And you tell me ' we are born too early to explore space'? We are right in the middle of it, and not a week without another massive discovery!
firejuggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-10, 14:40   #2
M344587487

"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

2·3·5·29 Posts

Too early in the sense that we won't be around for the commoditisation/normalisation of the colonisation of another body, perhaps not even a permanent livable offworld base will be present outside of satellites by then. We may stick around long enough to see a mining operation get underway or something equally sci-fi, who knows.
M344587487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-10, 17:49   #3
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

24·13·53 Posts

Too late is wrong as well. Most of the earth is barely explored.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-11, 02:02   #4
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1015810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Explored by whom? Cetaceans have the oceans covered.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-11, 12:41   #5
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22·3·7·61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Comments on the very similar quote
Quote:
You were born too late. You will never explore Earth. You were also born too early. You will never explore the stars.
were posted here in January 2014. The commentary includes mention of the fact that a lot of Earth's oceans remain unexplored.

It is, alas, true that human space exploration has barely begun. Mankind has gotten as far as the Moon. The Apollo program got killed of in the 1970's.

A few people are presently "camping out" in low Earth orbit.

There are plans by, e.g. China to send people to the Moon.

There are also ambitions to send people to Mars. It's an iffy proposition. Just getting there in one piece is hard enough. So far, most of the robotic missions to Mars have failed. Mars society founder Robert Zubrin says about Elon Musk's plans, that he is brave and determined, but "this is a game where you have to do everything right, and roll sevens, elevens, or doubles."
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-18, 20:47   #6
The Carnivore

Jun 2010

2·127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Comments on the very similar quote

Quote:
You were born too late. You will never explore Earth. You were also born too early. You will never explore the stars
were posted here in January 2014. The commentary includes mention of the fact that a lot of Earth's oceans remain unexplored.
There are still some unclimbed mountains out there. Some of them are illegal to climb, but you can certainly attempt the other ones:
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2014...tains-to-climb
The Carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-18, 22:52   #7
Stargate38

"Daniel Jackson"
May 2011

12458 Posts

Why are they illegal to climb? Are they too unstable (or otherwise dangerous), or is it political in nature?
Stargate38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-18, 23:28   #8
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargate38 View Post
Why are they illegal to climb? Are they too unstable (or otherwise dangerous), or is it political in nature?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High...imbed_mountain

Tom scott also did a video at one point I think ( maybe another youtuber I watch) about what counts as a mountain.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-25, 08:53   #9
The Carnivore

Jun 2010

2·127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargate38 View Post
It varies.

Some mountains are illegal to climb because they're sacred. Mt. Kailash is probably the best known example - in many different religions, Kaliash is the home of the gods and/or the center of the universe. Stepping foot on its slopes is considered to be a dire sin, but you can walk around its base.

The more interesting case is Uluru / Ayers Rock, which will become illegal within a few hours of this post. Like Kailash, it's sacred, and you can walk around its base. But the local Anangu considered the climb to be "of no cultural interest", and they even guided tourists to the top many decades ago. It was the story of Uluru and a few initiation sites around its base that were considered sacred, not the climb itself: https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...40s/ar-AAEcxax

But this changed as more and more tourists visited the area. About three dozen people have died while attempting the climb, and the Anangu felt responsible for the injuries and deaths that occurred there. There are also no facilities on the climb, so there were incidents where climbers left trash, urine, and even feces on the rock. All of that would flow into and contaminate the waterholes whenever it rained, causing enormous environmental damage. To make things worse, some visitors disrespected the site by doing inappropriate things such as a strip tease on the summit:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...ck-wvwtmpgwjnh

Taking those factors into consideration, I decided that I wouldn't climb Kailash even if it were legal, but I felt that climbing Uluru is acceptable if you try to minimize your impact and don't do anything during the climb that would be considered disrespectful. So I flew to Australia earlier this year to do the climb before it was banned. I stuck to "Leave No Trace" principles and made sure I was prepared. I left nothing but footprints and took nothing but pictures.

While it's not easy, the climb is not particularly difficult either, and it's certainly nowhere near as hard as climbing Rainier or even a non-technical glacier-free mountain like Whitney. I took 47 minutes to go up, spent 5 minutes at the summit, and took 32 minutes to go back down. The biggest challenge for me wasn't putting one foot in front of the other; it was fighting off the millions of flies in the area that swarmed me any time I slowed down or stopped to take a picture.

Some folks say that climbing Uluru isn't worth it and that the views are boring since you're standing on the only point of interest in an otherwise featureless landscape. Others say that doing the climb and standing at the top of Uluru is the most exhilarating, cherished and memorable experience of their whole Australia trip. Personally, I think that the views and experience were nice and unique, but not extremely spectacular. But I've attached some pictures so that you can decide for yourself. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	View1.png
Views:	204
Size:	770.1 KB
ID:	21189   Click image for larger version

Name:	View2.png
Views:	197
Size:	911.8 KB
ID:	21190   Click image for larger version

Name:	View3.png
Views:	196
Size:	973.4 KB
ID:	21191   Click image for larger version

Name:	View4.png
Views:	206
Size:	802.4 KB
ID:	21192   Click image for larger version

Name:	View5.png
Views:	191
Size:	931.8 KB
ID:	21193  

The Carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-25, 19:43   #10
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

101101100110102 Posts

o SpaceX just filed a request to run 30,000 more Starlink satellites in orbit | MIT Technology Review -- Just what we need, 30,000 more spallation targets, courtesy of an egomaniacal Barnumesque self-promoter intent on turning the night sky into a massive pixellated monument to himself.

o Why NASA’s Annoyed About Elon Musk’s Giant Rocket - LiveScience
Quote:
SpaceX has never flown a person into space in its Crew Dragon, its first crew-capable spacecraft. But already the company is showing off its much bigger, much shinier cousin: the Starship, built in Boca Chica, a coastal village at the southeastern tip of Texas, as part of a plan to carry giant crews into deep space. And NASA’s administrator is bristling. That’s because, even though the Crew Dragon — which consists of a capsule for carrying cargo and crew into space on top of a Falcon 9 rocket — is still very much in the works, it’s well behind schedule. Awarded a NASA contract in 2014, SpaceX initially said it would deliver an operational vehicle that astronauts could fly in by 2017. But that still hasn’t happened.
Hey, NASA - didja include any penalty-for-nondelivery clauses in that contract? Of cooooooooourse you didn't ... but I'm sure the MuskMan is quaking in his self-driving loafers at thw thought of your being "annoyed".
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-25, 20:09   #11
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

32×1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Hey, NASA - didja include any penalty-for-nondelivery clauses in that contract? Of cooooooooourse you didn't ... but I'm sure the MuskMan is quaking in his self-driving loafers at thw thought of your being "annoyed".
Meanwhile Boeing has flown 4 crude missions to the ISS on their reusable rocket.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote