xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

11,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Whenever I teach people Linux, I insist they use vi[m] for text file editing. Why? Because you are most likely to find it available whenever you face a Linux/Unix console. pico et al, not so often.

In extreme situations, I haven't even found vi[m] available. Editing text files using sed and regex et al is an advanced lesson, but I have had to do it "in the field" from time-to-time....
I've never found ed(1) unavailable --- when any editor at all is available that is.

Real Men, Real Women, and Real Small Furry Creatures from Alpha Centauri know how to use dd(1) as a flle editor, text or otherwise.

Anyone else here used the shell built-in echo as an alternative to ls(1) in single-user mode, and "tar cvf /dev/null ." instead of "ls -ls"? BTDT. Those were the days.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-29, 21:17   #57
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

140B16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvang View Post
Trying to set up an exercise schedule to get in decent shape. I don't have a good idea of how to track my progress, but my dad sent me a chart from an old military manual on fitness, giving points in three categories (pushups, situps, and 2-mile run) based on performance. You needed 60 points to pass the PT test in each category, don't know if that's changed in the past 20 years.

I suppose that I could start at 0 or 1 points, and work my way up, maybe 5 points per week? My big thing is that I don't want to waste time documenting my workouts when I could spend that time doing more workouts or other things. I was thinking of buying one of those neat fitness trackers that go on your wrist, but it seems that they wouldn't be able to track "motionless" exercise, like pushups or something where no distance is covered. Maybe I'm wrong?
If you are serious about undertaking an exercise regimen, I would suggest a book entitled Stretching by Bob and Jean Anderson. It takes a very sensible approach to stretching (unlike the way it was taught in my grade- and high-school Phys Ed!). It also includes some strength exercises (in particular, an alternative to situps called "ab curls").

If you have any substantial concerns about your health, or your ability to tolerate an exercise regimen, get a physical and talk to the doctor if possible.

Fortunately, it seems you are still at the "young and invincible" stage
Dr Sardonicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-30, 02:49   #58
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

22×3×37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
If you are serious about undertaking an exercise regimen, I would suggest a book entitled Stretching by Bob and Jean Anderson. It takes a very sensible approach to stretching (unlike the way it was taught in my grade- and high-school Phys Ed!). It also includes some strength exercises (in particular, an alternative to situps called "ab curls").

If you have any substantial concerns about your health, or your ability to tolerate an exercise regimen, get a physical and talk to the doctor if possible.

Fortunately, it seems you are still at the "young and invincible" stage
I used to think "oh, stretching is for losers," but now that I'm much less flexible than 12 year old me and I think about how everyone makes a big deal about it, I'll be stretching a lot. Maybe not going to buy a book, but this: https://old.reddit.com/r/Fitness/com..._new_fullbody/ with an accompanying very easy to follow video seems nice.

I definitely don't really worry about anything bad happening to my body. I'm too lazy to put too much effort into something, let alone something requiring actual physical exertion

As far as abdominal exercises, I recall leg raises being the most effective, especially once you can start doing them while hanging from a pull up bar or something similar. And that reminds me; squats will be in the rotation too
jvang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-31, 03:07   #59
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

6748 Posts

Also need to include bridges! For those who aren't familiar with these, it's kinda like the opposite of a plank. Kinda. It's really good for your core muscles and back/spine, and it works just about every muscle in your body at once.

Example: https://www.12minuteathlete.com/bridges/ (not a particularly good link; just Google it!) This article links to Paul Wade's book, Convict Conditioning, which is the basis for what I know about calisthenics. He really emphasizes bridges as the key exercise, which is supposed to lay the foundation for the rest of your workouts. Pretty interesting!

Wade lists out 10 levels of exercises for each "type" of workout, like pushups, pullups, squats, bridges, etc. The first 3 levels or so are easy enough that anyone reading this could probably do them (indeed, you should! Those simple, low-exertion exercises are very good for your joints and tendons and whatnot). The commonly recognized version of that exercise shows up around level 5-6, and then it progresses to some sort of master exercise or whatever he calls them. These are like 1-handed pushups/pullups, 1-legged squats, and the stand-to-stand bridge, where you go from standing, lean back into a full bridge, then slowly lean up until you're standing again. Doing these are my eventual goal, in maybe 2-3 years if I can stick with this plan
Old 2019-02-23, 03:34   #60
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

22×3×37 Posts

My dad suggested that I just do running for starters, to focus on one exercise and whatever. He used to have some good running books, like Daniel’s Running Formula and Run the Lydiard Way, which were apparently written by smart people. We have the books to a friend a couple of years ago, so I’ll be getting Kindle versions. Unfortunately, some of the books are out of print and/or not in PDF form, so I’m not sure how I’ll get those