Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2009-03-02, 18:06   #56
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2×3×13×83 Posts

THX great response.
Reply in more detail later. Meanwhile....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNCeY...eature=related

Sorry. Just watched it and there is a severe case of Coitus Interruptus.

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2009-03-02 at 18:17
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-03, 12:39   #57
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2·3·13·83 Posts

Last time I attended concerts was Hammersmith Odeon
Ry Cooder was one, and Steve Miller the other.

More anon.

David

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2009-03-03 at 12:49
Old 2009-03-03, 13:44   #58
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

11001010010102 Posts
Default Showmanship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFaq9...eature=related
Old 2009-03-03, 18:34   #59
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

11001010010102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
There is some sort of cinematic connection here.
Maybe why the sound quality is so good.
Can anyone help?

David

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2009-03-03 at 18:36
Old 2009-03-03, 21:12   #60
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

647410 Posts
Default Good stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_lYP...eature=related
Old 2009-03-03, 23:57   #61
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

31·67 Posts
Default One of my favourite movie scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-QrSc_Jw3g

(Though I almost start coughing when I watch it.)
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 01:01   #62
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2×3×13×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-QrSc_Jw3g

(Though I almost start coughing when I watch it.)
You should take up smoking.
I used to play that on the fiddle.

Vintage Chuck Berry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsp4V...eature=related
Old 2009-03-04, 02:56   #63

Dec 2004
The Land of Lost Content

3·7·13 Posts

Quote:
There is some sort of cinematic connection here.
Maybe why the sound quality is so good.
Can anyone help?

David
Yes, it does indeed have a cinematic origin.

In the pre-television age classical musicians had a much wider audience than now. Some had distinctly large personalities that made them quite marketable as film stars. Think of Leopold Stokowski's connection with Disney (Fantasia). I believe I am right in saying that Claudio Arrau played the part of Robert Schumann in a film.

Jascha Heifetz was one such, though it did no harm to be good mates with Samuel Goldwyn.

Heifetz made two films:- They Shall Have Music (1939) and Carnegie Hall (1947). I have seen the latter, though a very long time ago. No story to speak of, but some of the really heavyweight musicians of the time appeared in it.

The performance by Heifetz you ask about comes from Carnegie Hall. The performance was abbreviated for editorial reasons. The conductor is Fritz Reiner.
99.94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 03:03   #64
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

769210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99.94 View Post
Think of Leopold Stokowski's connection with Disney (Fantasia).
First theater movie I ever saw, at some early age. I became a Stravinsky fan.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 11:11   #65

Dec 2004
The Land of Lost Content

3·7·13 Posts
Default Showmanship

Quote:
Showmanship and art. Art is a protean thing. But its a subjective thing too. In the sense in which I understand you use the expression “showmanship”, you go to the proper role of the interpreter of a work of art and specifically music.

As a general proposition, the reason Mozart and Bach persist, and the latest pop song probably will not, is that the former have something lasting to say in the same way any great artist has something to say. Frank Lloyd Wright, Wordsworth, Rembrandt, Goethe, Chekov - each in his own way tells us uniquely something about ourselves. King Lear alone on the heath in the storm, or the leaving of an earthly life and a vision of heaven in the first movement of Schubert’s piano sonata D960, vouchsafe an insight into the human condition that the rest of us could not imagine.

Art can also be found in other forms of creativity such as history. I am thinking here of Edward Gibbon or the Australian historian Manning Clark. Both have much to tell us not only of our place in the world, but what it is to be human.

Often enough art speaks for itself. We have no particular need of an intermediary for Christopher Wren or Picasso to communicate with us. On the other hand, the performing arts do require - or at least are assisted by - a performer to interpret and project what the artist has to say. The value of, and our esteem for, the insights of the perceptive performer are summed up by Edward Gibbon in his observations about his older contemporary David Garrick (1717 - 1779). Referring to London 1758 - 1760 Gibbon wrote: “I assiduously frequented the theatres at a very prosperous era of the stage, when a constellation of excellent actors, both in tragedy and comedy, was eclipsed by the meridian brightness of Garrick in the maturity of his judgement and the vigour of his performance.” - Memoirs of My Life (1796).

In that process of interpretation and projection the personality of the artist necessarily has a place. It is unavoidable, but so long as it remains at the service of the music, or the words, or whatever the medium might be, there is no harm in that. Indeed, without at least an outline of the personality of the interpreter there is a danger the performance will be marmoreal, anonymous or uninvolving.

I think that what you are saying here about showmanship is that Heifetz comes between Tchaikovski and the listener. Whether that is so is a matter of taste. On one hand there is a self conscious and self regarding insinuation of a dimension to the music that the composer did not intend. On the other, an artist celebrating the magnificence of his God given technique, though always at the service of the music. Orson Welles or Olivier? Schnabel or Glenn Gould? Jussi Bjorling or Pavarotti? Subject always to the maturity of judgement to which Gibbon refers, great music can withstand and indeed thrive in a wide range of interpretive environments. I don’t have a difficulty with Jascha Heifetz’s approach to this music, but I can understand that others might.

Last fiddled with by 99.94 on 2009-03-05 at 11:16 Reason: Full stop missing.
99.94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 12:45   #66
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

11001010010102 Posts

Quote:
THX great response.
Reply in more detail later. Meanwhile....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNCeY...eature=related

Sorry. Just watched it and there is a severe case of Coitus Interruptus.
Found part two

Not sure whether this recording explains it best,
but if I were forced to name my favourite violinist,
(which I haven't been) this might be it.

David

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2009-03-05 at 13:01