Old 2021-10-11, 07:29   #100
Viliam Furik

"Viliam Furík"
Jul 2018
Martin, Slovakia

70810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerkao View Post
Looks like 2 of Ben Delo's engines got assigned on the same exponent -> M106097143. At least the format of the numerical arrangement looks like something I'd guess on earlier in the M103M range.

Since most of his engines are automatic, could the duplicates be visible on several other exponents as well?
I think it was Ben "poaching" himself, in the sense that the first machine that got assigned the exponent didn't work as supposed, so the assignment expired, but stayed in the worktodo file. The second machine, which got it assigned, completed the assignment, and then the first one completed it about a week later.

I think this is the most likely scenario.
Viliam Furik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-23, 19:57   #101
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

38216 Posts
Default Ben Delo AWS instances

I have never been able to understand exactly how AWS works. The explanations here on the forum are too complex for me to follow.

When an instance completes its PRP work, does that same instance name continue on to another exponent, or does a new instance start up? Do the instances run each job to completion, or can they expire in the middle of a job?
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-23, 20:04   #102
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

2×1,601 Posts

Yes, the instance continues on the next exponent. You decide how long you rent the instance for.

If you use "spot" instances which is much cheaper, then the instance can shut down at any time when the prices goes over the limit you chose. But then you can set it so another instance starts automatically in another cheaper zone or later when the price is lower again and continue automatically.

You store the files on another volume that is separate from the instances going up and down, and you pay a little bit for that volume as well per GB per month.
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-23, 23:08   #103
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

22·7·359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
Yes, the instance continues on the next exponent. You decide how long you rent the instance for.
Correct.

AWS (along with GCE and M$ Azure) offers some amazing inexpensive compute. But they aren't exactly easy to "make friends with" unless you are an experienced SysAdmin.

Even just getting past the ephemeral nature of the lowest-cost offerings takes some knowledge of mounting filesystems. Automatic (AKA programmatic) restarting of instances, by definition, requires some programming.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-24, 00:59   #104
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

16028 Posts

Do we know how many instances Ben runs? I looked at the "recent results" list, sorted by member name "Ben Delo" and computer name within member name, and I counted 64 distinct instance names.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-24, 01:26   #105
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

22×7×359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Do we know how many instances Ben runs?
We do not. If he's doing what I suspect he is doing, it will be a function of the "spot price" at any particular moment in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I looked at the "recent results" list, sorted by member name "Ben Delo" and computer name within member name, and I counted 64 distinct instance names.
That seems logical. As in, he has a maximum of 64 instances, which he has code which "spins up" as many as makes sense (economic curves, and all of that).

AWS is quite amazing. And, when you get down into the weeds, quite complex.

P.S. Please don't even get me started on regional VPCs, 10/8 vs 172.16/12, dual-NICs, subnetting, and internal routing...
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-24, 04:47   #106
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

2×1,601 Posts

See post #11 in this thread. Back then in late 2019 he said he was running 50 instances of c5.metal, which is 48 cores Xeons, so 2400 cores total. Maybe its 64 x 48 cores now, or 64 other instances.

c5.metal or c5d.metal cost in US-east-2 right now $0.92/hour for a spot instance, or $4.08 / hour for on-demand.
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote