mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2006-12-18, 17:09   #1
E_tron

Sep 2002
Austin, TX

3×11×17 Posts
Default Ghag!... Microsoft... is... killing... me!

I will not buy Vista; I will not buy Vista!
I bought windows 2000; i'm not giving it up! Its too stable!

You guys know the Daylight Savings Time is changing in 2007 right? How many of you run windows 2000? Expect no support for the DST change.

http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.j...leID=196700071

How am i guying to update 40+ computers running 2000?

This is the last straw! Microsoft is getting some angry phone calls . They are putting up synthetic barriers to windows 2000. Their new anti-spyware will run on 2000, but the install sheild say, "(nope, go buy XP or something)." Some of their games also continously pop up saying, "(never tested, this might not work...)."

This is the first article i found about microsoft cutting the air off. I'm dying over here and it's not the OS's fault!
E_tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-18, 17:31   #2
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

32×907 Posts

Quote:
Microsoft is getting some angry phone calls .
Good luck with that.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-18, 22:19   #3
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

1E0C16 Posts

Basically, I'm sympathetic. But one can't expect Microsoft to change its spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
I bought windows 2000;
Did you consciously think about Microsoft's spots ... errrrr ... support policy before you bought 2000?

Quote:
You guys know the Daylight Savings Time is changing in 2007 right?
Vaguely recall something -- going to start earlier, end later, or both.

Quote:
How am i guying to update 40+ computers running 2000?
Repetitively. Tediously. Monotonously. Four (or three) times each year.

Quote:
This is the last straw!
... in the middle of the haystack.

Quote:
They are putting up synthetic barriers to windows 2000.
What are the differences between them and the synthetic barriers M$ put up for W95 and 98?

Quote:
Their new anti-spyware will run on 2000, but the install sheild say, "(nope, go buy XP or something)." Some of their games also continously pop up saying, "(never tested, this might not work...)."

This is the first article i found about microsoft cutting the air off. I'm dying over here and it's not the OS's fault!
Well ... is any of this unprecedented?

I used to work for software companies. My recollection is that we never promised to support any version of our software forever. But that was pre-PC (i.e. the mainframe era) and we had only a few dozen customers, all of whom were corporations who didn't buy our software off the shelf of any Office Max. And we had competitors.

I could suggest going to some O(pen) S(ource) OS, but that may not be the direction of advice/sympathy you seek.

Or maybe all the Windows 2000 folks ought to get together like IBM customers did back in the '60s and form user groups to (among other things) carry on maintenance after the vendor stopped doing so. But, back then they did so with IBM's cooperation ... and they had the source code.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2006-12-18 at 22:32
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-19, 23:18   #4
E_tron

Sep 2002
Austin, TX

3·11·17 Posts

i don't know too much about programing, but doesn't windows NT 4, 2000, and XP all use some API called Win32? That guarentees a certian layer of compatibility. The only reason why games do not work on NT4: DirectX 3 is the most advanced DirectX made for NT4.

The whole, "we are not giving a time update" it just capitalizim at its best.

Oh, the phone calls went... okay. An intelegable text-to-speech system asnwered the phone and routed me to a fluent english speaker. She discribed to me that Windows 2000 is in the extended support phase and that new features would not be added to the OS.

I call foul.
Old 2006-12-19, 23:26   #5
E_tron

Sep 2002
Austin, TX

10618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
Basically, I'm sympathetic. But one can't expect Microsoft to change its spots.

Did you consciously think about Microsoft's spots ... errrrr ... support policy before you bought 2000?
No, is that stuff even in the EULA or do they make it up as they go along?

Quote:
What are the differences between them and the synthetic barriers M$ put up for W95 and 98?
Windows 9x is largely incompatible with Windows NT. The barriers were tecnical limitations, not taking away functionality with artifical barriers.

Quote:
I could suggest going to some O(pen) S(ource) OS, but that may not be the direction of advice/sympathy you seek.
I tried, couldn't stick with it. Too much variation; too different; too many updates; familiar software... gone...

...good word; sympathy.

Post count = 500

Last fiddled with by E_tron on 2006-12-19 at 23:26
Old 2006-12-20, 02:52   #6
potonono

Jun 2005
USA, IL

193 Posts

Not that it won't be at least a little work setting up a registry file to push out to 40+ PC's, but MS does have a knowledge base article about this...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914387
potonono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-20, 13:04   #7
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

769210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
Windows 9x is largely incompatible with Windows NT. The barriers were tecnical limitations, not taking away functionality with artifical barriers.
No, no -- where you wrote "They are putting up synthetic barriers to windows 2000", I interpreted that as referring to their cessation of support for "new features" like the change in DST. So I was asking about differences between 9x/2000/NT regarding M$ support policy, not about technical differences between the OSes.

Quote:
good word; sympathy.
I long ago decided to just grit my teeth when I installed M$ software, and not expect anything not-nailed-down (*snort*).

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2006-12-20 at 13:11
Old 2006-12-20, 16:53   #8
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

1068210 Posts

Quote:
No, no -- where you wrote "They are putting up synthetic barriers to windows 2000", I interpreted that as referring to their cessation of support for "new features" like the change in DST. So I was asking about differences between 9x/2000/NT regarding M$ support policy, not about technical differences between the OSes.

I long ago decided to just grit my teeth when I installed M$ software, and not expect anything not-nailed-down (*snort*).
Two words: caveat emptor.

MS told you what you were licensing when you licensed it. You decided (or had it decided for you) that the conditions were worth the price.

Exactly the same applies to any other software. My (personal) RedHat 7 systems are still running the same as they did when RH7 was new. Your W2K systems are probably working better than they did when they were new, thanks to Microsoft's updates and patches.

I don't get support for the RH7 systems and if I want support I have to upgrade. If you want MS support, you have to upgrade.

The RH systems at work have a support contract good for 3 years. If we want to support them for longer than that, we have to pay for them. Have you attempted to pay MS, or any other organization, for addtional support on your W2K systems?

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-23, 18:52   #9
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

(I presume that Paul's posting was intended to be addressed to E_tron. :-)
Old 2006-12-23, 19:30   #10
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×72×109 Posts

Quote:
(I presume that Paul's posting was intended to be addressed to E_tron. :-)
Correct.

I inadvertently quoted the wrong post.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-28, 12:00   #11
XYYXF

Jan 2005
Minsk, Belarus

1100100002 Posts

I'm also using W2000 Professional SP4. No troubles :)
XYYXF is offline   Reply With Quote