mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2019-11-23, 00:41   #419
Jet1945
 
"Jim Thompson"
Nov 2019
Winchester, KY

23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Was it running previously and you upgraded the OS? Or is this a fresh install on 10.15?

If a fresh install can you try moving the hwloc dynamic link library to /usr/local/lib
First time user and I just followed the install instructions as listed. When launched, I got a dialog box that said it could not open the program. Nothing I have tried has seemed to affect the ability to get the program to run.

I have no idea / knowledge on what you mean by moving a dynamic link.

Mac OS 10.15.1 on a 2017 iMac Retina

Last fiddled with by Jet1945 on 2019-11-23 at 00:42
Jet1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-23, 00:47   #420
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

71258 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet1945 View Post
First time user and I just followed the install instructions as listed. When launched, I got a dialog box that said it could not open the program. Nothing I have tried has seemed to affect the ability to get the program to run.

I have no idea / knowledge on what you mean by moving a dynamic link.

Mac OS 10.15.1 on a 2017 iMac Retina
Does the program have execution permissions? Some systems unzip executables to be non-executable. Look into the permissions of the program.

On linux based systems you can do chmod u+x mprime when in in mprime's directory.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2019-11-23 at 00:51
paulunderwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-23, 00:49   #421
Jet1945
 
"Jim Thompson"
Nov 2019
Winchester, KY

816 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
Does the program have execution permissions? Some systems unzip executables to be non-executable. Look into the permissions of the program.
I understand the question but as a Mac user, I have no knowledge of where or how to affect the permissions of a program. That is not something I have ever done in 10 years on a Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
On linux based systems you can do chmod u+x mprime when in in mprime's directory.
I know the the Mac OS has at the kernel level a passing acquaintance with Linux and that the command you mentioned can be used with the Terminal program. However, that is a detailed level of familiarity that I do not have with the Mac. For me the mprime's directory would be the folder labeled p95v298b6-2 which is where the program Prime95 and the accompanying text files reside.

Last fiddled with by Jet1945 on 2019-11-23 at 01:01
Jet1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-23, 00:59   #422
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

3·1,223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet1945 View Post
I understand the question but as a Mac user, I have no knowledge of where or how to affect the permissions of a program. That is not something I have ever done in 10 years on a Mac.
See the edit to my previous post.

Please see the section on chmod here. You must be in the right directory to use it properly!

chmod is Unix speak for change mode. When in mprime's directory you can run chmod 755 mprime. There is a explanation on what "755" means in the link. Afterwards run ls -l -- Unix speak for list file in long format -- and you should see rwxrw-rw- where r=read, w=write and x=execute -- the groupings are you, your gtoup and everyone. So only you can execute the program. If you are paranoid about things you can use "744" or even "700"

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2019-11-23 at 01:12
paulunderwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-23, 01:06   #423
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

3·5·499 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet1945 View Post
I understand the question but as a Mac user, I have no knowledge of where or how to affect the permissions of a program. That is not something I have ever done in 10 years on a Mac.
Please try http://mersenne.org/ftp_root/gimps/p95v298b4.MacOSX.zip
This zip file has the libgmp dynamic link library located in a different place in the heirarchy - I'm curious if that makes a difference.

BTW, sorry for the troubles and thanks for helping me figure this out.

Last fiddled with by Prime95 on 2019-11-23 at 01:06
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-23, 01:08   #424
Jet1945
 
"Jim Thompson"
Nov 2019
Winchester, KY

23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
See the edit to my previous post.

Please see the section on chmod here
I did respond to your edit. I also checked the Get Info on the program and I (as user) have all the permissions to read and write for the program.

The balance with chmod is a level that I am not comfortable doing. Without being snarky at all, if the is the level of difficulty necessary to get a program to run on a Mac - it probably isn't something that I ought to be doing.

Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
Please try http://mersenne.org/ftp_root/gimps/p95v298b4.MacOSX.zip
This zip file has the libgmp dynamic link library located in a different place in the heirarchy - I'm curious if that makes a difference.
I dl'd the file and saw the library file included in the package. I installed the lib file (double clicking) and the launched the Prime95 and got the same dialog box "The application Prime95 could not be opened." Not sure what to try next.

Last fiddled with by Jet1945 on 2019-11-23 at 01:19
Jet1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-23, 01:19   #425
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

3×1,223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet1945 View Post
I did respond to your edit. I also checked the Get Info on the program and I (as user) have all the permissions to read and write for the program.

The balance with chmod is a level that I am not comfortable doing. Without being snarky at all, if the is the level of difficulty necessary to get a program to run on a Mac - it probably isn't something that I ought to be doing.

Thanks for your help.
I have never used a Mac. Do they still have only one mouse button?
paulunderwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-23, 01:26   #426
Jet1945
 
"Jim Thompson"
Nov 2019
Winchester, KY

23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
I have never used a Mac. Do they still have only one mouse button?
Naaah!! We have gone to the 21st century - its a Magic Mouse - press on the left side for the normal stuff and the right side for the old CTL-click things you used to have to do.

Modern technology is amazing .... sorta .... when it works .... not like now
Jet1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-23, 01:33   #427
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

3×1,223 Posts
Default

@George, FWIW, when I unzipped the Mac version here on Debian, Prime95 does not have execution permission.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2019-11-23 at 01:35
paulunderwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-23, 03:07   #428
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

3·5·499 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet1945 View Post
I dl'd the file and saw the library file included in the package. I installed the lib file (double clicking) and the launched the Prime95 and got the same dialog box "The application Prime95 could not be opened." Not sure what to try next.
I'll be away for 2 days. When I get back, I'll borrow my wife's Mac and see if I can install prime95.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-23, 03:50   #429
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

112×79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I'll be away for 2 days. When I get back, I'll borrow my wife's Mac and see if I can install prime95.
Time for Ben to find his first prime.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prime95 version 29.2 Prime95 Software 71 2017-09-16 16:55
Prime95 version 29.1 Prime95 Software 95 2017-08-22 22:46
Prime95 version 26.5 Prime95 Software 175 2011-04-04 22:35
Prime95 version 25.9 Prime95 Software 143 2010-01-05 22:53
Prime95 version 25.8 Prime95 Software 159 2009-09-21 16:30

All times are UTC. The time now is 13:49.

Sun May 9 13:49:58 UTC 2021 up 31 days, 8:30, 0 users, load averages: 2.07, 2.34, 2.38

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.