mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-01-23, 16:08   #1
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

164778 Posts
Default Microsoft ripoff

A friend asked me yesterday if she could buy a Windows XP laptop for her husband. I wasn't sure so I went to Dell's web site.

They want an extra $99 to outfit a laptop with a bonus downgrade to XP!!!
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 16:35   #2
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

29·401 Posts
Default

Ah yes, the wonderful business model options available to one when one has an effective monopoly ... one can only hope they continue to hemorrhage market share in the OS space to Apple and Linux and in the browser space to Firefox. Hit 'em where it hurts - their fat pile of cash.

Dontcha almost wish Yahoo's Jerry Yang had accepted their buyout offer earlier this year? Based on today's valuation of YHOO, MSFT would've ended up overpaying by more than 3x, which would hve put a nice dent in that huge stash of cash, likely without helping the joint venture's bottom line one iota.

If Apple didn't charge such a high price for their PC hardware (assuming they could lower it without losing too much of the high hardware reliability they insist on, which is not at all a given), it simply would be no contest at this point. But Apple is making so much money from their non-PC products that they can afford to remain a distant #2 on the desktop, while retaining their reputation for quality there and at the same time letting MSFT remain the #1 target of virus writers worldwide.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 16:40   #3
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Ah yes, the wonderful business model options available to one when one has an effective monopoly ... one can only hope they continue to hemorrhage market share in the OS space to Apple and Linux and in the browser space to Firefox. Hit 'em where it hurts - their fat pile of cash.

Dontcha almost wish Yahoo's Jerry Yang had accepted their buyout offer earlier this year? Based on today's valuation of YHOO, MSFT would've ended up overpaying by more than 3x, which would hve put a nice dent in that huge stash of cash, likely without helping the joint venture's bottom line one iota.

If Apple didn't charge such a high price for their PC hardware (assuming they could lower it without losing too much of the high hardware reliability they insist on, which is not at all a given), it simply would be no contest at this point. But Apple is making so much money from their non-PC products that they can afford to remain a distant #2 on the desktop, while retaining their reputation for quality there and at the same time letting MSFT remain the #1 target of virus writers worldwide.
Microsoft just announced 5000 forthcoming layoffs....

So much for the "warm fuzzy happy family" culture at Microsoft...
Loyalty only goes one way.....
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 16:54   #4
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

29×401 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Microsoft just announced 5000 forthcoming layoffs....

So much for the "warm fuzzy happy family" culture at Microsoft...
Loyalty only goes one way.....
One hopes our mutual friend Peter M. is not affected by this - but I expect he would have his pick of any number of research positions if he left MSFT.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 17:07   #5
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2·5·587 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
A friend asked me yesterday if she could buy a Windows XP laptop for her husband. I wasn't sure so I went to Dell's web site.

They want an extra $99 to outfit a laptop with a bonus downgrade to XP!!!
how much more is a version of vista that can be downgraded?
i think it would have to be vista ultimate but possibly home premium
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 17:13   #6
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!
 
petrw1's Avatar
 
"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

2·7·331 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
how much more is a version of vista that can be downgraded?
i think it would have to be vista ultimate but possibly home premium
I bought Vista Business for this reason (and wish now I hadn't ... it has been stable for me). I paid an extra $75
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 17:18   #7
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2×5×587 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
I bought Vista Business for this reason (and wish now I hadn't ... it has been stable for me). I paid an extra $75
why?
have you started using vista?
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 18:02   #8
Mr. P-1
 
Mr. P-1's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

7×167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
A friend asked me yesterday if she could buy a Windows XP laptop for her husband. I wasn't sure so I went to Dell's web site.

They want an extra $99 to outfit a laptop with a bonus downgrade to XP!!!
Downgrade from what? Linux? It's an upgrade from Vista, surely.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 19:57   #9
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!
 
petrw1's Avatar
 
"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

463410 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
why?
have you started using vista?
I bought a Quad Q9550 in November.
I wanted 4 Gb RAM and to be able to use it.
Several posters told me to do so I needed a 64 Bit OS
and that 64 Bit Vista was actually "better" than 64 Bit XP.

So I took a chance on it ... with the $75 insurance policy, so to speak.

It has worked quite well for me:
- 1 temporary screen driver problem
- I don't do gaming.
- We have no kids at home
- So for my wife and I it is an internet, e-mail, Word/Excel and GIMPS machine only.
- I have networked it with 2 XP PIV's and that has worked well: I now have file shareing in both directions and printer sharing from Vista to XP.

V25.9 is running about 10% faster for me due to George's recent changes for a 64-Bit OS.
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 20:29   #10
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

2D6D16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-1 View Post
Downgrade from what? Linux? It's an upgrade from Vista, surely.
You misunderstand - due to huge customer backlash at the less-than-beta quality of its first Vista installs, Microsoft actually started offering an official "Downgrade to XP" package. George is referring to PCs shipped with Vista preloaded, for which customers who want to stay away from Vista and its (real or perceived) issues have to pay extra to get XP installed on. Since MSFT is doing their usual ram-it-down-their-throats-whether-they-like-it-or-not with Vista, PCs simply having XP preinstalled are apparently no longer an option, so ya gotta pay extra for that.

I challenge readers to find examples of another company in the world which gets away with this kind of crap.

[As it happens I can in fact think of one, albeit not one in the mass-consumer space - in the market niche (chip-design EDA tools) my company occupies, another firm has long occupied a Microsoft-like virtual-monopoly role when it comes to the area of custom design software. Like MSFT, over the past decades they kept adding new features without paying nearly as much attention to stability and performance of their product. This past year the chickens finally came home to roost for them.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
V25.9 is running about 10% faster for me due to George's recent changes for a 64-Bit OS.
Of course, no special credit to Vista for that - Intel simply crippled half the SSE registers on their Core architecture in 32-bit mode, so any 64-bit OS which can "see" the extra registers should allow for a similar speedup.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2009-01-23 at 20:32
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 21:37   #11
Batalov
 
Batalov's Avatar
 
"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

2×3×1,571 Posts
Default

An obligatory cross-reference to the already duly noted "well, it's better than Vista" joke is in order here --
http://www.mersenneforum.org/showpos...&postcount=375
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft Azure GP2 Cloud Computing 8 2017-08-24 01:27
Microsoft CryptGenRandom R.D. Silverman Programming 14 2012-03-04 22:23
The Great Rebate-Card ripoff ewmayer Lounge 5 2009-09-30 01:46
Microsoft xna moo Hardware 0 2006-12-12 01:07
Microsoft Plus XP clowns789 Software 2 2004-08-04 14:45

All times are UTC. The time now is 07:41.

Tue May 11 07:41:28 UTC 2021 up 33 days, 2:22, 1 user, load averages: 1.61, 1.64, 1.48

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.