mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2017-08-22, 21:35   #1
KradziejSoku

"Staszek"
Aug 2017
Poland

102 Posts
Default "Merge CPUs" removed them completly?

Recently i've noticed that PrimeNet had two instances of my CPU so i tried to merge them without really thinking about it. After that, some errors like "CPU not found" popped up on site and then my CPU and all the assignments i had were gone from PrimeNet. I had 6 of them, 4 were double checks left on about 80%, so it'd be really sad to me to lose this much work. Thanks in advance for every bit of help!
KradziejSoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-22, 22:31   #2
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

1011101001102 Posts

That happened to me a few months ago, so it seems to be a general bug.

Madpoo was able to recover them, so hopefully he can reassign those CPU to you.
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-23, 15:29   #3
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

29·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KradziejSoku View Post
Recently i've noticed that PrimeNet had two instances of my CPU so i tried to merge them without really thinking about it. After that, some errors like "CPU not found" popped up on site and then my CPU and all the assignments i had were gone from PrimeNet. I had 6 of them, 4 were double checks left on about 80%, so it'd be really sad to me to lose this much work. Thanks in advance for every bit of help!
Keep plugging away on those assignments. I don't know what happened to the CPUs (in ATH's case, I think they got "reassigned" to the anonymous account) but the assignments should still be valid.

I'll see if I can't track down your particulars and figure out what happened. For now I guess I'd just say, unless you really need to merge CPUs for some reason, best to leave it be.

EDIT: I think I found the 2 computers...yeah, they were switched to the anonymous user so I moved them back to your account. The reason 2 might show up is that something significant changed on your computer that made it think it was a new system (could be a new OS, new motherboard, whatever) so it generates a new GUID... that GUID is really what keeps track of machines even if they have the same "cpu name".

Last fiddled with by Madpoo on 2017-08-23 at 15:37
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-23, 19:24   #4
KradziejSoku

"Staszek"
Aug 2017
Poland

2 Posts

I don't really know why the 2nd instance of my cpu appeared, but i'll just leave them as they are, i don't wanna mess up anything again! ^^
Thank you very much for your help!
KradziejSoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-07, 21:47   #5
kotenok2000

Mar 2018

23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
Keep plugging away on those assignments. I don't know what happened to the CPUs (in ATH's case, I think they got "reassigned" to the anonymous account) but the assignments should still be valid.

I'll see if I can't track down your particulars and figure out what happened. For now I guess I'd just say, unless you really need to merge CPUs for some reason, best to leave it be.

EDIT: I think I found the 2 computers...yeah, they were switched to the anonymous user so I moved them back to your account. The reason 2 might show up is that something significant changed on your computer that made it think it was a new system (could be a new OS, new motherboard, whatever) so it generates a new GUID... that GUID is really what keeps track of machines even if they have the same "cpu name".
I have the same problem too.
kotenok2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-08, 18:15   #6
lycorn

Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

24·89 Posts

Strange...
I am running 5 Colab CPU instances, so I get many "repeated" Cpus under my.account. I routinely merge Cpus, frequently 5 or more for each of the 5 Colab instances, and never had a single problem.
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-16, 11:04   #7
Ensigm

Aug 2020

3×5×7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycorn View Post
I am running 5 Colab CPU instances, so I get many "repeated" Cpus under my.account. I routinely merge Cpus, frequently 5 or more for each of the 5 Colab instances, and never had a single problem.
A digression from the topic, but recently I discovered that setting FixedHardwareUID=1 in prime.txt stops the emergence of "repeated" cpus for good. This is actually written in undoc.txt, just think of your gdrive as being moved from an allocated cpu to another.

Last fiddled with by Ensigm on 2020-10-16 at 11:08
Ensigm is online now   Reply With Quote