mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Open Projects

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-09-20, 11:44   #12
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2×13×149 Posts
Default

I think the problem is with GMP and not with Core2. I have had problem numbers with PFGW under Ubuntu. I think (and probably erroneously) Ubuntu uses a particular version of GMP as part of it's security mechanism. Are you running Ubuntu? Please someone suggest a way to install GMP for a "user" or another method ... Works under Debian

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2007-09-20 at 11:50
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 12:06   #13
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2·13·149 Posts
Default

Here on Ubuntu I can't use PFGW to test 10^n-1 for n>=43142.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2007-09-20 at 12:09
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 14:45   #14
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2×13×149 Posts
Default

Quote:
I think the problem is with GMP and not with Core2.
This is one is probably barking up the wrong tree, as the linux version of PFGW is a static build. Does anybody have any ideas what the problem is with PFGW on Ubuntu?
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 15:46   #15
nuggetprime
 
nuggetprime's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Austria

30210 Posts
Default

9999....12263 done to 22000(no primes).
continuing to 40000.

nuggetprime
nuggetprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 18:23   #16
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

DB316 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
This is one is probably barking up the wrong tree, as the linux version of PFGW is a static build. Does anybody have any ideas what the problem is with PFGW on Ubuntu?
Just to confirm, yes, it's Ubuntu. Feisty Fawn 7.04.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 16:34   #17
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

47×137 Posts
Default

Jason,

Can you create your own webpage for this project and post it somewhere? It would be much easier to follow than through this thread.

BTW, did you try contacting the owner of the page? You could also try contacting others referenced on the page to see if they have any contact with the owner?
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 22:26   #18
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Jason,

Can you create your own webpage for this project and post it somewhere? It would be much easier to follow than through this thread.

BTW, did you try contacting the owner of the page? You could also try contacting others referenced on the page to see if they have any contact with the owner?
I don't know anything about building a web-page. I think it would be better(easier?) to beg Xyzzy for a web page, then ask someone to create some code with some basic editing implemented where there'd be two user categories, Basic and Moderator. Going to the web-page would only get you Basic user options, the moderator Title would be given server-side.

I have tried to contact some of the people, but got no response. One of the problems is that, if I remember correctly, the usernames and real names are about the only information available. Even with my rare name of Goatcher, someone with the same first and last name as me managed to make 1 or 2 posts on the Net, and that's just the ones directly associated with their name. Other names could easily supply 100s of false hits.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 00:26   #19
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

47·137 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I don't know anything about building a web-page. I think it would be better(easier?) to beg Xyzzy for a web page, then ask someone to create some code with some basic editing implemented where there'd be two user categories, Basic and Moderator. Going to the web-page would only get you Basic user options, the moderator Title would be given server-side.

I have tried to contact some of the people, but got no response. One of the problems is that, if I remember correctly, the usernames and real names are about the only information available. Even with my rare name of Goatcher, someone with the same first and last name as me managed to make 1 or 2 posts on the Net, and that's just the ones directly associated with their name. Other names could easily supply 100s of false hits.
If you looked at the Prime Pages, you will see that Patrick Keller's e-mail is boeseskellerchen (at) gmail (dot) com. I would be fairly certain this is the same person.

Consider it an opportunity to learn. Start with the current page. The HTML is not too difficult. In other words there is nothing very complex in the HTML. The HTML is basic enough that you should not need any manuals to figure out what the tags mean once you've spent a hour or so with it. Even if you did, there are a number of helpful sites to help you learn HTML. You can use a basic editor, such as TextPad, to modify it, then view it in FireFox, Safari, IE, etc. Browsers are fairly forgiving. Your version of the page will display, but possibly not correctly if you are missing and end tag.

BTW, I'm not saying that you need to set up a client/server applet, just a simple page to reflect the current status.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 02:41   #20
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
Aug 2002

100000011110002 Posts
Default

We're not sure what kind of web page you want to make, but you could use a page in the wiki to set things up. It has a word processor interface, is super easy to use and update and you can link directly to it.

Or, if you just need a page hosted, we can help there too.

A lot of modern word processors can "save as" HTML. The code isn't elegant but it usually works adequately.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 03:06   #21
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts
Default

Rogue: email sent.

Xyzzy: It'd be fun to learn HTML. And I might try that Wiki idea. I could put a date on the Wiki page that indicates when it was last updated, and direct people to check this thread for later posts.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 03:24   #22
Jens K Andersen
 
Jens K Andersen's Avatar
 
Feb 2006
Denmark

3468 Posts
Default

I gave links with email address or email option for 3 participants in http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=8764.
I don't know whether the information is current.
Jens K Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Next Prime Gap Project robert44444uk Prime Gap Searches 140 2020-09-25 12:45
Near repdigit primes on Numberphile lavalamp Lounge 68 2018-09-09 19:01
Near-repdigit 5(1)w IvanP FactorDB 1 2013-10-03 15:41
New 'No Prime Left Behind' project gd_barnes Lounge 0 2008-01-21 09:05
possibly abandoned repdigit prime project jasong jasong 8 2007-08-11 03:37

All times are UTC. The time now is 03:50.


Tue Oct 26 03:50:28 UTC 2021 up 94 days, 22:19, 0 users, load averages: 2.16, 2.26, 2.22

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.