Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jvang

Old 2019-01-28, 02:59   #45
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

22·3·37 Posts

Trying to set up an exercise schedule to get in decent shape. I don't have a good idea of how to track my progress, but my dad sent me a chart from an old military manual on fitness, giving points in three categories (pushups, situps, and 2-mile run) based on performance. You needed 60 points to pass the PT test in each category, don't know if that's changed in the past 20 years.

I suppose that I could start at 0 or 1 points, and work my way up, maybe 5 points per week? My big thing is that I don't want to waste time documenting my workouts when I could spend that time doing more workouts or other things. I was thinking of buying one of those neat fitness trackers that go on your wrist, but it seems that they wouldn't be able to track "motionless" exercise, like pushups or something where no distance is covered. Maybe I'm wrong?
jvang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-28, 11:27   #46
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

591210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvang View Post
My big thing is that I don't want to waste time documenting my workouts when I could spend that time doing more workouts or other things.
Does it really need to take long?
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-29, 00:49   #47
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

22×3×37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
Does it really need to take long?
I know it sounds dumb, but I really dislike documenting things, especially on paper. It takes brainpower (in short supply around here) and I have to write something, which hurts my hand after a minute because I write inefficiently or something
Old 2019-01-29, 01:12   #48
masser

Jul 2003
wear a mask

26·33 Posts

You use linux, right?

> vim ~/my_workout_log

(substitute your favorite text editor if you don't...gasp!... like vim)

Last fiddled with by masser on 2019-01-29 at 01:13
masser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-29, 03:04   #49
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

1101111002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masser View Post
You use linux, right?

> vim ~/my_workout_log

Hehe, my dad is disgusted by my use of nano. vim is really odd to use as a beginner; when I watch him use it, there seems to be 100 random keypresses to get the cursor in the right position and to start typing

But I'll figure out a quick way to use a spreadsheet utility like Excel or Google spreadsheets to document my exercise. I'll take a PT "test" every couple or weeks or every month to measure progress, but I'll vary the exercises in between. Not many substitutes for pushups, but I'll alternate between situps and leg raises because I think they work different sets of abdominals? (plus situps hurt my butt ) And maybe shorter runs on some days, where I replace part of the run with extra of the others. Also gonna throw in pullups, which I'll have to start with a weird half-pullup because there's no way I could lift my weight at the start.

There's a bunch of nice guides and documentation on Reddit that I'll be reading and using. In particular, /r/Fitness and /r/bodyweightfitness. Mostly the latter because I don't own a weight set and can't drive myself to the gym (yet! although I would also need to finance a membership too; maybe if I sold some junk! hint hint)
Old 2019-01-29, 03:41   #50
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

234128 Posts

Quote:
Hehe, my dad is disgusted by my use of nano. vim is really odd to use as a beginner; when I watch him use it, there seems to be 100 random keypresses to get the cursor in the right position and to start typing
I remember using edlin in DOS to edit config.sys and autoexec.bat Also I used eve on a DEC VAX system. Currently in windows I use notepad++ (recommended by someone on the forum.)
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-29, 10:10   #51
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

134308 Posts

Quote:
I know it sounds dumb, but I really dislike documenting things, especially on paper. It takes brainpower (in short supply around here) and I have to write something, which hurts my hand after a minute because I write inefficiently or something
I was envisioning jotting down your time on a jog or recording how many reps you did of various exercises such as push ups or sit ups not an essay. The idea is the keep it simple. Putting it in a spreadsheet is a good idea though as it means you can plot the results over time.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-29, 10:31   #52
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

1094910 Posts

Quote:
EMACS Makes All Computing Simple.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-29, 18:59   #53
M344587487

"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

2×3×11×13 Posts

Quote:
How about you exercise until you manage to exit vim? You'll be ripped in no time ;)
M344587487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-29, 19:19   #54
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3×1,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masser View Post
You use linux, right?

> vim ~/my_workout_log

Hmm. It appears "vim" is "vi improved." I can testify -- there was definitely room for improvement. I remember, many long years ago, trying to use a UNIX text editor called vi -- without much success. Supposedly "vi" stood for "visual editor." I asked a sysop who said something like, "Oh, God, you're trying to use vi? That's a terrible editor!" and suggested I try pico instead.

When I entered the DOS world (5.0 IIRC) they had Edit, which I had no trouble using. I used Edlin a few times because occasionally I found myself on a machine with an pre-Edit version of DOS. IIRC there were also a few "interesting" things you could do with Edlin.

I inherited an ancient text editor from a used hard drive a friend gave me. It was named ed.exe and was old enough that I was able to put it on an IBM XT with DOS 2 or 3, and have it work. (In order to accomplish that, I had to magnetically obliterate all the tracks from a 5 & 1/4 inch floppy, and then FORMAT it using a old low-capacity setting that actually put the tracks far enough apart that the old floppy drive in the XT could read them.) It allowed you to work on two files at once, plus a block of text you could move from one file to the other. It also let you find and replace, select text, and cut, copy or convert the selected passage to all caps or all lower-case. Someone told me it was what was called a "block editor."

There was another file named ed.exe buried in Word Perfect for DOS (WP 6.1 I think, but am no longer sure). Anyhow, when run as a standalone, that one could be used as a hex editor.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-29, 19:34   #55
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23·17·73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Hmm. It appears "vim" is "vi improved." I can testify -- there was definitely room for improvement. I remember, many long years ago, trying to use a UNIX text editor called vi -- without much success. Supposedly "vi" stood for "visual editor." I asked a sysop who said something like, "Oh, God, you're trying to use vi? That's a terrible editor!" and suggested I try pico instead.
Whenever I teach people Linux, I insist they use vi[m] for text file editing. Why? Because you are most likely to find it available whenever you face a Linux/Unix console. pico et al, not so often.

In extreme situations, I haven't even found vi[m] available. Editing text files using sed and regex et al is an advanced lesson, but I have had to do it "in the field" from time-to-time....
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote