Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jvang

Old 2019-01-14, 02:59   #12
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

3·1,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvang View Post
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage

And then I have to add this on for them to cover my vehicle if I get hit by an uninsured driver? Isn't driving without insurance illegal? Why do I have to pay extra to make up for illegal activity?
Generally this insures your property against damage caused by others, where they are at fault but carry no insurance.

They are responsible for repairing or replacing your car as needed, but since they aren't carrying insurance good luck getting them to (they probably have no money). This coverage is usually cheap because most people have insurance due to the legal requirement. When you're poor or just starting out, you can skip this. It's good to get if (1) you can afford it, (2) you can't afford a replacement vehicle, and (3) you rely on your car (for your job, for example).
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-14, 04:08   #13
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

2·7·683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvang View Post
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage

And then I have to add this on for them to cover my vehicle if I get hit by an uninsured driver? Isn't driving without insurance illegal? Why do I have to pay extra to make up for illegal activity?
This also covers hit-and-run*. As the Good book says, "And that which is lacking cannot be numbered". A "person who isn't there" cannot have an insurance, can they?

I actually had a total loss in NJ, from a regularly looking non-poor couple. Who had no insurance! Their insurance turned out to be "in liquidation", and they claimed that "they had no idea". I was paid over exactly this clause by my insurance, and lost $500 (deductible). I should have put a small claims suit against them for the $500 (I had their address, their insurance card etc), but I was rather naive in the legal matters at that time (>20 yrs ago) and just ate up the loss.

*... yup, another illegal activity. Happens regularly.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote