mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Factoring

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-08-18, 00:56   #1
rekcahx
 
Oct 2009
Oulu, Finland

2×3×5 Posts
Default Extended Cunningham or so

Hello

My last winter project was seek factors for b^n+-1 where b is a prime between 37 and 997 and n is up to 1051. Maybe I will continue it, I don't know yet.

But anyway, there is very short introduction for this project: http://verity.ig.fi/factoring/

This project is CPU intensive, but probabilities for findings are still high.
rekcahx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 04:06   #2
wblipp
 
wblipp's Avatar
 
"William"
May 2003
New Haven

22·32·5·13 Posts
Default

Your project has large overlap with Richard Brent's factor tables, Mishima Hisanori's cyclotomic factors, the factordb Factor Tables, and the oddperfect factorizations. It would inspire more confidence if your web site mentioned these overlaps and what coordination methods you use to avoid factoring numbers already factored elsewhere and to inform other projects of new factors you find.
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 11:30   #3
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

26×113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblipp View Post
Your project has large overlap with Richard Brent's factor tables, Mishima Hisanori's cyclotomic factors, the factordb Factor Tables, and the oddperfect factorizations. It would inspire more confidence if your web site mentioned these overlaps and what coordination methods you use to avoid factoring numbers already factored elsewhere and to inform other projects of new factors you find.
This is unfair! You actually expect people to study what has been done
before?? You should realize by now that it is always "compute first and
ask questions later".
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 13:17   #4
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

173616 Posts
Default

I actually think it is a waste of time. There are enough other factoring projects out there. If you insist on continuing your search, set up an ECMNet server and maybe some people will gives you a few cycles.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 14:38   #5
wblipp
 
wblipp's Avatar
 
"William"
May 2003
New Haven

22·32·5·13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
This is unfair! You actually expect people to study what has been done before??
"Expect" is much too strong a word. I neither expect nor demand it. "Gently encourage" is the tone I'm striving for. Especially in a project like this, where the factoring interests strongly overlap with mine. I'm hoping to channel the excitement in productive directions. I'm hopeful - I note that he is already aware of the factordb and using it.
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 03:35   #6
Christenson
 
Christenson's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Monticello

24×107 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
This is unfair! You actually expect people to study what has been done
before?? You should realize by now that it is always "compute first and
ask questions later".
Oh, relax...at least he's asking questions...and hopefully he'll look at the things pointed to and learn something....
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 12:45   #7
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

723210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblipp View Post
"Expect" is much too strong a word. I neither expect nor demand it. "Gently encourage" is the tone I'm striving for. Especially in a project like this, where the factoring interests strongly overlap with mine. I'm hoping to channel the excitement in productive directions. I'm hopeful - I note that he is already aware of the factordb and using it.
You missed the sarcasm.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Sierpinski/Riesel-like problem sweety439 sweety439 1069 2020-10-22 14:59
Warning: XxX of your assignments have been extended... guido72 GPU to 72 3 2015-02-19 10:15
Proth theorem extended Bill Bouris Conjectures 'R Us 4 2009-04-07 13:25
Extended Cunningham tables Zeta-Flux Factoring 2 2008-03-03 18:34
Extended Proth Theorem Cyclamen Persicum Math 1 2004-04-20 04:54

All times are UTC. The time now is 08:02.

Fri Oct 23 08:02:57 UTC 2020 up 43 days, 5:13, 0 users, load averages: 1.99, 1.75, 1.62

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.