mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > Cloud Computing

Old 2021-01-26, 14:22   #1
mersenne1588

Feb 2019

22×7 Posts
Default Which Cloud Service is the best for the Mersenne Prime Search?

Hi,

If I want to run the LLR test on a cloud computing platform or a cloud-based environment, when I am looking for a new record prime, which service is the best in terms of price-performance ratio? Amazon EC2, Google Compute Engine (GCE), Microsoft Azure, Google Colab?

Haven't used any of these services yet. I've heard that Google Colab is free, but math programs can only be written with Python, the connection to the Google Cloud Server is interrupted at regular intervals, and sometimes a GPU and TPU are not available. The question is whether the use of Google Colab makes here sense at all. Or whether it is better to use paid services that sometimes also offer free services, for example when I book capacities in the lower segment, such as Amazon EC2. It would have the advantage that I could first test smaller numbers and thus become more familiar with the handling.

I'm not looking for the cheapest provider here, but the provider who offers the best price-performance ratio in terms of price and processing speed. Which provider would you recommend me here? Which provider has here the best price-performance ratio?
mersenne1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-26, 16:42   #2
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

26·157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersenne1588 View Post
I'm not looking for the cheapest provider here, but the provider who offers the best price-performance ratio in terms of price and processing speed. Which provider would you recommend me here? Which provider has here the best price-performance ratio?
Since money doesn't seem to be a problem, why don't you spin up a few instances on all the Cloud Compute providers and measure the throughput per credit spent?

Then you can empirically determine where the economic curves cross for your particular use-case (read: the type of work you most enjoy contributing towards), and use that knowledge moving forward.

Hint: A certain Ben is using AWS. Perhaps a heuristic.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-26, 17:54   #3
mersenne1588

Feb 2019

22·7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Since money doesn't seem to be a problem, why don't you spin up a few instances on all the Cloud Compute providers and measure the throughput per credit spent?

I only mentioned the money to make it clear that the price is not my only concern. I just wanted to hear the opinion of people who have already gained experience with Cloud Computing, which provider is recommended in terms of price-performance ratio. That's all. I think, someone can certainly tell me which provider is recommended here.
Old 2021-01-26, 18:23   #4
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

235008 Posts

Quote:
I think, someone can certainly tell me which provider is recommended here.
Based solely on heuristics, AWS is your best bet (at this current moment in time) if you're willing to put money behind your compute asks.

Your KM/s delta-V might be different than this model, depending on your particular situation. (Sorry for the different frames of reference.)
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-27, 04:02   #5
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

24·613 Posts

Quote:
I've heard that [...] math programs can only be written with Python
That is false, you are confused there. We run mprime and gpuowl on colab, none of which are written in python, one is written is C and assembler, the other one uses openCL too, to force a graphic card (GPU) to crunch numbers instead of CPU. Python is kinda "shell", or "command interpreter" there, you may use python to launch your program, write your scripts, but don't confuse that with the real applications that you can run.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-27, 07:35   #6
gLauss

Nov 2014

3×13 Posts
Default AWS is too expensive (for me)

I have done some experimenting with AWS (and tested a DC number), but even in Germany with high power costs (30ct/kWh) it is usually cheaper to run it on the hardware one already owns if you have the hardware anyway. If you want to try, here is my crude approach how I did it: https://klaus.hohenpoelz.de/running-...-services.html I did it mainly for experimenting with EC2 API.

Last fiddled with by gLauss on 2021-01-27 at 07:49
gLauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-27, 08:30   #7
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×23×137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gLauss View Post
... with high power costs (30ct/kWh) it is usually cheaper to run it on the hardware one already owns ...
I cut off the last part about if-you-already-have-the-hardware because I don't think it matters. Unless one only plans to run for a few weeks, or maybe a few months at most, and then quit. After the initial payback time running your own setup will cost less overall.

It makes perfect sense because a commercial company wants to make a profit, so you aren't going to be able to pay less for cycles, and also pay them a premium towards their profit.

It is a fallacy about how since they pay lower power prices because of scale, then that somehow means you can benefit from that. You would be treating them as simply a power reseller. And power resellers also have to make a profit. Which is why when we buy power from resellers it ends up costing the same anyway. And add in the extra hardware capital costs and worker's salaries and whatnot, and that surpasses any possible power savings.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-27, 08:51   #8
axn

Jun 2003

121118 Posts

Except when they're selling surplus compute power using "spot" prices. They're already burning electricity by keeping the physical hardware on, they might as well try to minimize losses / turn a small profit.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-27, 09:51   #9
gLauss

Nov 2014

3·13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
Except when they're selling surplus compute power using "spot" prices.
Yes, but I was comparing "spot" prices to my power costs and still twice as much as I pay for my power. Don't forget all those virtualization AWS does has overhead, too. The most ridiculous overpriced AWS stuff is the 9ct / GB outgoing traffic fee.

Back to topic: I have not tried GCP or Azure instead of AWS. However, I have heard that they are less expensive, so it might be worthy to try those platforms for GIMPS.

Last fiddled with by gLauss on 2021-01-27 at 09:52
gLauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-27, 10:10   #10
mersenne1588

Feb 2019

1C16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
That is false, you are confused there.
English is not my mother tongue, but I think you wanted to say: "You get confused there" or "You mix up something there". But as a person, I am certainly not "confused".
Old 2021-01-27, 10:30   #11
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

24·613 Posts

Thanks. That's what I wanted to say, and I won't contradict you on an English subject. Till some native weights in (or not), I still believe my sentence was right. Not a native speaker here either.

LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote