Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Aliquot Sequences

Old 2012-07-24, 06:48   #23
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

11100001101012 Posts

Well... I implemented all the outstanding requests, and it's really really great, !! except that the sort by sequence and sort by index are now broken. :huh:

What's interesting is that I used the same method as to properly sort the dates; that still works great for me, but like I said, I got a report that that doesn't work right, and now the other two columns don't work right. Do index/sequence sort correctly for anyone else?

Nevermind, turns out I got two fields backwards. You who reported the Date missorting, could you try it again?

In any case, the sequence now links to the Last20 page, and the index links to the graph. There is now also the two checkboxes that Henryzz requested, which exclude sequences with a 3 and sequences controlled by a driver.

The class is now also displayed

I'm still open to any suggested cosmetic changes, or ideas for what to put in the stats page. (My most recent idea there was to present some sort of average size/index ratio.)

Last fiddled with by henryzz on 2012-07-24 at 11:26 Reason: henryzz not henry please :)
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 12:50   #24
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))

Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

2·52·127 Posts

Given that you're running through the sequences every week or so, I think a 'last progressed' column would be really useful - record the last date that the sequence status changed when you looked at it. This lets you see which sequences are neglected and where people are working.

(ie if you find on July 31 that the sequence is in the same place as it was on July 24, 'last progressed' stays at July 24 whilst 'last updated' goes to July 31)

I would also quibble with the removal of the downdriver when you click 'remove drivers'.

Last fiddled with by fivemack on 2012-07-24 at 12:52
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 13:20   #25
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT)

2·2,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemack View Post
I would also quibble with the removal of the downdriver when you click 'remove drivers'.
Agreed.

Also are you checking the last index the see if it has been factored or requesting the last element of the sequence? If you just check the last element to see if it has been factored then you don't put so much strain on the factordb. If it hasn't been changed then you could then check more sequences per day.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 17:51   #26
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

1C3516 Posts

Quote:
Given that you're running through the sequences every week or so, I think a 'last progressed' column would be really useful - record the last date that the sequence status changed when you looked at it. This lets you see which sequences are neglected and where people are working.

(ie if you find on July 31 that the sequence is in the same place as it was on July 24, 'last progressed' stays at July 24 whilst 'last updated' goes to July 31)
That'd be pretty neat, I'll see what I can do.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
Agreed.
Your wish is my command.
Quote:
Also are you checking the last index the see if it has been factored or requesting the last element of the sequence? If you just check the last element to see if it has been factored then you don't put so much strain on the factordb. If it hasn't been changed then you could then check more sequences per day.
Umm... what? I use the "Show last element" option from the sequence pages, e.g. http://factordb.com/sequences.php?se...last&aq=967230 .

Are you suggesting I use the tracked IDs to just query the number instead of the sequence? And only if that ID is factored, then use the last-element option?
Old 2012-07-24, 20:55   #27
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT)

130528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
Are you suggesting I use the tracked IDs to just query the number instead of the sequence? And only if that ID is factored, then use the last-element option?
Yes. The link you posted requires 1600 queries. Checking the last id would take 1/100th of that. It wouldn't surprise me if you could get through the whole lot every couple of days. Occasionally you would have to run the thing you are doing now to check for errors but not often.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 20:57   #28
Mathew

Nov 2009

2×52×7 Posts

The sorting looks good now, thank you.

An addition to fivemack's request:

Would it be possible to add the delta of the index from the previous check?
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 21:20   #29
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

Quote:
Yes. The link you posted requires 1600 queries. Checking the last id would take 1/100th of that. It wouldn't surprise me if you could get through the whole lot every couple of days. Occasionally you would have to run the thing you are doing now to check for errors but not often.
Hmm... it wouldn't be easy, I'd need to change some of the structure of of my script... I'd do it if someone can confirm two things:
1) The overhead of the HTTP request is minimal compared to strain by DB queries
2) Not many sequences are updated over the course of a week

The first would be best answered by Syd, though I'm sure others' answers are perfectly good and I'll take their word for it.

The second is hard(er) to say; I think I'll do the "Last progressed" (and the amount of progress, per Mathew's request) thing first, and then see how many on average are lengthened over the course of the week. I'm mostly worried about what yafu@home could be doing to the small sequences, which comprise a large majority of the total number. Even one line advanced would cause this new method to make an additional HTTP request with no DB queries saved, defeating the purpose.

Edit: Quick question before I do it: Should the previous update time be displayed as well as the recent update time, or shall we just assume that it's been roughly a week?

Last fiddled with by Dubslow on 2012-07-24 at 21:58
Old 2012-07-24, 22:51   #30
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

11100001101012 Posts

Quote:
I think I'll do the "Last progressed" (and the amount of progress, per Mathew's request) thing first
<snip>
Quick question before I do it: Should the previous update time be displayed as well as the recent update time, or shall we just assume that it's been roughly a week?
And another question: Where should the "progress since previous update" column be located? Before or after the "Last Updated" column...?
Old 2012-07-25, 14:03   #31
richs

"Rich"
Aug 2002
Benicia, California

3·5·73 Posts

How about on your statistics page next to the length of sequence column showing the percentile rank of each length. For example, a length of 1000 would be at the "xy.z" percentile.
richs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 17:41   #32
yoyo

Oct 2006
Berlin, Germany

56810 Posts

Quote:
I'm mostly worried about what yafu@home could be doing to the small sequences, which comprise a large majority of the total number.
I can only tell how yafu@home fetches composites from FDB.
It starts with C80, skips 1000 and takes 500 from the next 9000.

yoyo
yoyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 18:42   #33
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richs View Post
How about on your statistics page next to the length of sequence column showing the percentile rank of each length. For example, a length of 1000 would be at the "xy.z" percentile.
How's that? 50th percentile is around 1156.