mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-09-11, 01:15   #34
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·3·11·59 Posts

This is one of the Monarch caterpillars on my milkweed. I hadn't seen any of them out in the open lately, but today there were a bunch of them in plain sight. A better insect photographer than I got this shot of the largest of them we saw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monarch_caterpillar.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	23306  
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-11, 01:41   #35
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·5,059 Posts

Wow! Impressive creature.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-12, 01:16   #36
richs

"Rich"
Aug 2002
Benicia, California

117110 Posts

It's been raining ash here for the past few days due to the wildfires and the air quality is extremely unhealthy, so I haven't been out to survey the parsley. Maybe the ash will eliminate the pests.
richs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-12, 01:50   #37
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×3×11×59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richs View Post
It's been raining ash here for the past few days due to the wildfires and the air quality is extremely unhealthy, so I haven't been out to survey the parsley. Maybe the ash will eliminate the pests.
Reminds me of Waldo <shudder>.

(taps fist on head) Here's knocking on wood, hoping that what's raining down doesn't eliminate the whole neighborhood.

The year after the Waldo Canyon Fire, the Black Forest Fire burned hundreds more homes and killed two more people. It was far enough away that there wasn't ash raining down where I was, but the air was thick with eye-watering, choking smoke. Visibility was not good. Breathing the smoky air reminded me of trying to cook over an open fire, and always being on the downwind side of the fire.
Old 2020-09-15, 02:03   #38
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

22·7·281 Posts

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bugs.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	23327  
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-15, 10:34   #39
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

8,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Shameless!
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-15, 11:27   #40
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×3×11×59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Nice shot.

Looks like a Southern species of walkingstick (Anisomorpha). Similar picture at Bugguide here.

Some insects fly around while they're mating. Wheeee! Talk about "shameless!"
Old 2020-09-15, 11:39   #41
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

22·7·281 Posts

Slim: What's the point of going out there? They'll only laugh at me.
P.T. Flea: That's because you're a clown!
Slim: No, it's because I'm a prop. You always cast me as the broom, the pole, the stick... a *splinter*!
P.T. Flea: You're a walking stick. It's funny! Now go!
Slim: You parasite.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-17, 13:50   #42
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

74668 Posts
Default The REAL plant experts

I'm generally fairly good -- at least, for a layman -- at plant ID's. With common weeds or garden plants, I can often get the genus right, even if I can't name the species.

But I have just been outclassed by an insect, the Monarch Butterfly (Danaus plexippus). Someone presented me with a "lost" Monarch caterpillar on some kind of bindweed in their garden. No milkweed anywhere near the bindweed plant. They brought it over to my place so if could feed instead on my milkweed.

The bindweed looked like a typical member of the genus Convolvulus which includes field bindweed, and used to include hedge bindweed (which I thought this might be) until it got reclassified.

Then, additional "lost" Monarch caterpillars turned up on the same kind of bindweed.

Finally, when I was faced with clear proof the caterpillar had actually be feeding on that plant, the light bulb flickered on.

It dawned on me that I had better nail down the ID of that bindweed.

I did so. I didn't even have the family right. I thought I was dealing with the morning-glory family Convolvulaceae. The Monarchs know better. The catepillars were feeding on

Honeyvine Milkweed (Cynanchum laeve)

Milkweed Family (Asclepiadaceae)

AKA Ampelamus albidus, Gonolobus laevis, bluevine, climbing milkweed, dog's-collar, Enslen's-vine, honeyvine, honeyvine swallwort, peavine, sandvine, smooth anglepod, smooth swallow-wort.
Old 2020-09-17, 16:55   #43
firejuggler

Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

1001101100112 Posts

The only insect I get to see these day. And it is a *seven plague* sort. It jumped on my screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sauterelle.png
Views:	41
Size:	474.4 KB
ID:	23347  

Last fiddled with by firejuggler on 2020-09-17 at 16:57
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-21, 00:55   #44
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·3·11·59 Posts

This is the first Monarch chrysalis I have ever seen with my own eyes. It is hanging below a milkweed leaf over the deck of my front porch. Sorry for the poor image quality, I snapped it with my phone. Swapped out the phone pic for a much better one. Much smaller image size, too.

There are more on the way. I saw an immobile caterpillar similarly attached to the underside of a nearby leaf. I don't know how long the final molt will take, but my guess is there will be another chrysalis some time tomorrow.

UPDATE: And so it came to pass. Now there are two.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chrysalis_2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	23377  

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-09-22 at 18:38 Reason: xignif ostpy