Old 2020-08-12, 13:37   #1002
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

110000011112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
In my post I said "He didn't muster out until 1946" so he did 6 years.
So you did. I did not read it correctly. My apologies.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-13, 03:15   #1003
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

34·5·11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Which doesn't mean that for some generations, it isn't true. :)

I mean, a generation of smartphone-addicted screen-starers, and also the most overweight - at least in the US - in history.

Not that I'm blaming the kids, mind you - greedy corporations worked very hard to feed the various toxic addictions encompassed by the above, and a generation of overprotective "helicopter parents" did the rest.
That doesn't explain why other species, including feral or on measured rations in labs, are also increasingly obese. Something in the water? https://www.livescience.com/10277-ob...e-animals.html
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-13, 19:45   #1004
Till

"Tilman Neumann"
Jan 2016
Germany

2×11×19 Posts

Yesterday, the UK took around 5000 death from its COVID death toll list...

From https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/
  • 1,009 new cases and 20 new deaths in the United Kingdom. England has removed 5,377 deaths from its time series. fNOTE from the UK Government):
    "On 17 July, the Secretary of State asked Public Health England (PHE) to urgently review the way daily death statistics are currently reported.
    A review into the method used to calculate these figures considered a range of scientific evidence to identify the best time limit to apply between date of test and date of death.
    The new daily measure provides a UK-wide count of deaths under a consistent methodology for England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales that has been endorsed by an external review.
    The measure will be based on a 28-day limit between the date of a positive lab-confirmed test and date of death. Deaths that occur more than 28 days after a positive test will not be included in the headline count." [source]
So people dying after hanging more than 4 weeks on an respirator do not count as COVID-deaths anymore?

Congrats Britain!
Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-13, 20:34   #1005
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

263768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
That doesn't explain why other species, including feral or on measured rations in labs, are also increasingly obese. Something in the water? https://www.livescience.com/10277-ob...e-animals.html
The article does speculate as to possible causes toward the end - if I had to lay odds, I would guess the estrogen-mimicking chemicals humans have flooded the globe with (byproduct of plastic production) might be to blame. More-recent human generations would thus have the following triple whammy at work:

1. Processed food, esp. those loaded with high-fructose corn syrup and other "empty calories";

2. Ever-increasing sedentism;

3. Estrogen-mimicking chemicals.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-13, 21:12   #1006
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

5·11·157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till View Post
So people dying after hanging more than 4 weeks on an respirator do not count as COVID-deaths anymore?
In the larger organization that I work for, we had someone hang on for 45 days on a ventilator before dying of COVID.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-14, 00:30   #1007
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

11×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
The article does speculate as to possible causes toward the end - if I had to lay odds, I would guess the estrogen-mimicking chemicals humans have flooded the globe with (byproduct of plastic production) might be to blame. More-recent human generations would thus have the following triple whammy at work:

1. Processed food, esp. those loaded with high-fructose corn syrup and other "empty calories";

2. Ever-increasing sedentism;

3. Estrogen-mimicking chemicals.
WRT #3, No need to mimic, what about estrogen itself and other hormones. This is a common component of birth control pills, for instance. I question whether water treatment plants can completely render them harmless. Also, many homes and cottages have septic tanks which will leave hormones intact.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-14, 00:46   #1008
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

5×11×157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
This is a common component of birth control pills, for instance. I question whether water treatment plants can completely render them harmless. Also, many homes and cottages have septic tanks which will leave hormones intact.
And so many other chemicals/drugs.

The answer is no and yes. Standard primary and secondary treatment can have almost no effect on those items. Tertiary has little to no effect on them. Advanced treatment and treatment systems for direct reuse (membrane bio reactors, RO, etc.) can have a good chance of clearing a major portion of them out of the water.
I don;t know if the UV exposure in a pond treatment system would help.

Septic tanks will disperse the water component to a leach field. The ground microbes may or may not do anything.

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2020-08-14 at 00:46
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-14, 19:53   #1009
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

2×7×103 Posts

Apparently, the British government has at short notice decreed that anyone travelling to the UK from France or the Netherlands after 4am tomorrow will have to spend 14 days in quarantaine.
This has caught out large numbers of British people who are now breaking off their visits and flying head-over-heels to get back before the deadline.
The night ferry from Hoek van Holland to Harwich, for example, will depart early and sail faster in order to be alongside before 4am.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53782019
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-15, 00:28   #1010
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

155110 Posts

Every country in the world needs to impose quarantines, or flat-out refusals, on travelers from the U.S. now. COVID-19 is out of control here and not many seem to care. Now, everybody's fixated on the election in November. Another distraction.

I believe someone above mentioned water. I live by a sizable river and the community water supply comes from there. They put so much chlorine in it now that very few actually drink it. Bottled water flies of store shelves around here. My cat likes the tap water. Perhaps he cannot smell or taste the bleach in it. I do not let him have it now. The amount of dissolved limestone is incredible.

Something, I think about is all the pharmaceuticals in the water. Pain killers, cancer drugs, illegal drugs, and so on. As far as I know, it would take a reverse-osmosis filtration system to catch part or all of it. No many communities can afford such a system. Here, the local utility installed an ultraviolet light device two years ago. That is when the chlorine got really bad.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-15, 00:49   #1011
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
Another distraction.
"Don't Panic." - Douglas Adams.

Seriously, just manage the situation as best you can. That's all you can actually really do, so focus on that.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-15, 08:04   #1012
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

2·787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
My cat likes the tap water. Perhaps he cannot smell or taste the bleach in it.
I seems that, for as yet unknown reasons, cats like the smell of bleach. A search of "cats bleach" on Internet will return a lot of results...

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote