xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

31·359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
You touch it, then touch your face, Boom! You've got it.
If I get it, I get it. I am certainly not going to start worrying about whether I will get it (or have already got it) now.

InshAllah.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-04, 21:32   #508
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Repรบblica de California

13×29×31 Posts

Pfft ... 200,000 pales in comparison to the 6 million the German army just lost in transit somewhere in Kenya. So perhaps the German government should direc its ire and inquiries a little closer to home.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2020-04-04 at 21:32
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-04, 23:02   #509
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

17D316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
No - your 5) is exactly Science article's "4. Asymptomatic", and airborne is included in "3. Environmental" - note I wrote "e.g. on surfaces" not, "i.e. on surfaces" - though the line there between close-infectee-contact and 'environmental does admittedly blur . And the numbers are early estimates, not carved in stone, my main takeaway was "asymptomatic transmission by various modes is possibly responsible for the majority of transmission", thus people should take appropriate precautions - social-distance, wash hands, avoid touching eyes/nose/mouth with unwashed hands (masks help here), wear a cotton surgical-style earloop mask whenever in an enclosed space with other people where 6'/2m-distancing is difficult to achieve.
#5 is the distinction between never-symptomatic, and not-symptomatic-yet. Which upon rereading I see #1 and #4 make, so you got me there.
#6 is a practical distinction between droplets and dry particles. The sizes, ranges, and filter behavior are different.
There's also indication that as with some other diseases, droplet and dry can originate not only from the respiratory tract, but from feces. "Toilet bowl aerosol" is an unpleasant but necessary phrase.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-04-04 at 23:29
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-04, 23:15   #510
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

3×19×107 Posts
Default Ivermectin

Dramatic reductions of COVID19 in 24h, near eradication in 48h in lab research. In vitro only at this point, so maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't, in actual patients. No doubt some field tests will occur shortly by the "compassionate use" exception allowing patients to volunteer as lab rats.Already FDA approved for human use as an antiparasitic, and supposedly there's already considerable stock of it around too. https://www.breitbart.com/border/202...ay-researchers
Multiple links in the article for those who don't trust Breitbart.

So now there's hydroxychloroquine/ Z-pak, remdesivir in evaluation, favipiravir, and perhaps the additiono of ivermectin to this list: https://www.drugs.com/condition/covi...tml#treatments

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-04-04 at 23:23
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-04, 23:24   #511
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

5×1,069 Posts

Quote:
Pfft ... 200,000 pales in comparison to the 6 million the German army just lost in transit somewhere in Kenya. So perhaps the German government should direc its ire and inquiries a little closer to home.
Kenya Airports Authority (KAA) says it's "Fake News"
Quote:
"Our investigation has concluded that there was no cargo of this nature that has passed through JKIA for the last two weeks and no missing cargo has been reported to the authorities," KAA said in a statement.

"We, therefore, wish to inform the public that we are treating this report of alleged disappearance of six million type FFP2 protective masks as fake news and that our cargo section continues with normal operations," the authority went on.
Dr Sardonicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-04, 23:31   #512
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Repรบblica de California

13×29×31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
If one of the high-ups in the KAA - and such a heist would seem to require involvement of such - was in on the heist, they would of course deny the whole thing. Journalism 101: never take any single source's word for it.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-04, 23:59   #513
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

5×1,069 Posts

Quote:
If one of the high-ups in the KAA - and such a heist would seem to require involvement of such - was in on the heist, they would of course deny the whole thing. Journalism 101: never take any single source's word for it.
If it was a heist. The article you linked to says
Quote:
Since the outbreak of the new coronavirus, protective mask business has become a gold mine worldwide. Because of the high demand, the protective gears are traded like rare spices used to be.

Der Spiegel reports: "Insiders therefore suspect that after the deal with the German procurement office, the manufacturer might get a better price for its goods and sell the masks there (in Kenya)."
In any case, it seems Germany hadn't paid for them yet.

It still hasn't been explained why the masks were going through Kenya in the first place.
Old 2020-04-05, 00:48   #514
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

5×1,069 Posts
Default Re: Ivermectin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Already FDA approved for human use as an antiparasitic, and supposedly there's already considerable stock of it around too.
Considerable stock, eh? Judging by what's happened with Plaquenil, that will change. People already prescribed Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for lupus or rheumatoid arthritis are finding it difficult to impossible to get refills.

I recognized the name Ivermectin -- as a heart worm preventative for dogs. It kills the parasites. Therefore, you do not use it if the dog already is afflicted. Dead heart worms in the heart muscle is a Bad Thing.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-09-21 at 19:38 Reason: xignif posty
Old 2020-04-05, 00:59   #515
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

5·1,069 Posts

I suddenly remembered seeing a movie shown on TV -- ours was B&W -- about a virus that threatened to cause economic havoc.
Old 2020-04-05, 11:36   #516
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

5·412 Posts

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...n-the-climate/
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-05, 18:46   #517
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

18B616 Posts
Default Yemen

How does/did Yemen manage to avoid this thing?

What did they do that made them so special?

Hehe, or maybe the USA designed the virus that way to have no effect on Yemen citizens. Iran should complain about that bit of favouritism.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote