View Single Post
Old 2004-03-30, 16:47   #1
FriarTuck

7·491 Posts
Unhappy Core dump on unix build

Hello All,

Not sure where to post this, but programming seemed the best topic. I've got a problem with a Solaris 9 build of mers 6.50. I'm trying to build it on an Ultra2 Enterprise 2x200MHz machine with 512MB using 64-bit compile options using sparc-sun-solaris2.8-gcc (GCC) 3.3.2.

Code:
OPT=-g -O4 -m64 -mptr64 -Wa,-xarch=v9 -mcpu=v9
After much busy work to get the prerequisite tools installed (FreeLIP, libgmp), I had a compile error that was library related. Changed LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include /usr/local/lib and that fixed the lib errors. Now, however, I get a nasty bus error on make.

Walking through the Makefile I've determined that the error occurs when:

Code:
sed -e :start -e '/\\/{' -e N -e 's/\\\n//' -e '}' -e tstart mfl.out |
cmp - mgi.good
is executed. The error that is received is "EOF on -". Now I know that '-' is simply the stdin for cmp, but I didn't know why EOF was thrown. So I checked further...

This sed command is run during the testing phase of the build. Digging deeper into the Makefile, the 'testfac' target seems to be the error.

testfac relies on mgi.out and mfl.out. The first, mgi.out runs no problem, but when it runs mfl.out it bombs.

I modified the line Makefile uses for mfi.out and ran this manually:
Code:
./mersfaclip ./testfac1.in - < testfac2.in > stb.mfl.out
This generates a bus error core dump. The mgi.good and mfl.out files are nowhere near the same size for the above referenced cmp (hence the EOF, I think).

I worked the problem this far and now I am stumped . Does anyone have any suggestions, clues, voodoo, or Wonka Bars that might help? I am about to delve into gdb and the core file, but it's been a L-O-N-G time since I've tread those waters.

Cheers,
FriarTuck

Last fiddled with by FriarTuck on 2004-03-30 at 16:49 Reason: Clarification of some items