View Single Post
Old 2017-02-17, 11:47   #22
GeoffreyY

"Geoffrey Yeung"
Feb 2017
London

1810 Posts

I have successfully factorized: C170 = P85 * P85. For various reasons I won't post the exact result until 27th Feb. (deadline for this bonus challenge) Thank you everyone for helping.

Quote:
In the past we have had students complete big factorizations (i.e. 160 digits) in a remarkably short time, by taking over idle computer labs.

To be safe, I got up to ~120% of minimum relations needed, and got 30 nontrivial dependencies at the end. Dependency number 1 worked anyway. Oh well.

Apparently I had to convert my .poly into .fb to start the linear algebra phase with factmsieve.py.

During the -nc2 phase my windows crashed (BSOD), and the .mat file became 0 bytes for some reason. The .dat file was also re-written. but luckily we have .gz backup. I think it's a RAM issue, as I had chrome with multiple tabs opened.

I'll try and see if I can reproduce the low CPU/GPU usage issue that started this thread.

Besides that, I'm probably going to grab an aliquot sequence to work on. I was looking into helping factordb too, but it doesn't seem 100% stable at the moment.
GeoffreyY is offline   Reply With Quote