Old 2005-12-08, 04:04   #7
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS63
It would be easy to change the name of Prime95 to "explorer" or "svchost" - two real, vital processes - or maybe "sysman" or "winxp" - two I just made up.
But that's deliberate deceit. If you really thought your proposal was ethically acceptable, you wouldn't feel a need to deceive the user that way, would you?

Quote:
(I believe that US juries award outrageous damages in the hope that, should they one day find themselves in the same position they too will be awarded an inordinate sum.)
I doubt many jurors do it for that reason. More likely is that jurors perceive that corporations don't respond to anything other than large monetary awards for damages.

Quote:
A cursory reading of the Computer Misuse Act 1990 would seem to show that the only possible offence applicable would, I think, be "3.(2)(a) to impair the operation of any computer;", and that is debatable if Prime95 works as advertised ie only using 'idle' time. I'm not a lawyer, so I could be wrong.
When one gets picky (as one would in a lawsuit), one finds that Prime95 also occupies certain amounts of memory. Furthermore, memory-swapping and task-switching between Prime95 and other tasks takes a certain amount of non-"idle" CPU time that impairs response times and wouldn't be necessary if Prime95 weren't running.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote