Thread: 5000 < k < 6000
View Single Post
Old 2009-07-29, 22:29   #8
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

29·101 Posts

another point to check and consider is the sieve depth!

i've done some tests via LLRnet and there'e my get a candidate with n-value by random.
so i had a pair with n=970k.

as you mentioned, you sieved to only 3T or a bit higher, that's ways too low for a n-range upto n=1M. perhpaps Gary can tell you a better value but i think a sieve depth to 50T or 100T would be minimum before testing n-values over 900k!
it's a new idea to present test-candidates by random but there're aspects against doing so:

1. the sieve depth has to be quite high
2. the verification of the whole range (k=5000-6000 and n=75k-1000k) is a tremendous work: check if all candidates tested
3. presenting the results (which k got which prime n's) like the table would be open until all tests are done, and this could take years!

what about sieving and testing smaller ranges in n (say 100k-ranges) , and while testing per LLRnet, the sieving for the next range could be done higher!

PS: the html-version of the page contains a link to itself!? should this be the link to php-version?
the html-version shows better the completed range as [...]!
another hint: it would be easier to split the column with 'n tested (prime)' so you could better summarize both columns (for example copying the page and inserting in Ex*el!)

Last fiddled with by kar_bon on 2009-07-29 at 22:36
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote