View Single Post
Old 2008-05-21, 11:36   #8
Richard Cameron

Mar 2005

2×5×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
No, Of course the ale was in pints -- metrication does not require that all individuals abandon any use of non-metric weights and measures.
Beer is exceptional: Beer and Milk can be sold in imperial pints. Draft beer MUST be sold in third- half- or full pints.

Nothing else can be sold in pints.

Quote:
From my visit to England in 1983, I know first-hand that the speed limit signs I saw were metric...
I don't know what to make of this. I wasn't driving in 1983 but I have driven since. AFAIK speed limits in UK have always been in miles per hour. There are no plans to change this (the Wikipedia article gives a reference). I think distances to junctions are in hundreds of metres now, (rather than hundreds of yards as previously) but no-one's going to notice the difference.

Quote:
...and many of the grocery store produce signs were metric ... and that was 25 years ago.
Yes. Labelling in metric has been mandatory for some time. For goods sold lose however it is totally acceptable to ask for, say, 'pound of cheese'. The scale has to be metric, but the assistant does the conversion.

Richard
Richard Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote